Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

My "meh" Experience With VR Motoring (vrwheels.com)

Old 08-05-2013, 02:16 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts
Thumbs down My "meh" Experience With VR Motoring (vrwheels.com)

Back in June I decided to purchase custom sized wheels. For years I have experimented with different wheel companies, sizes, offsets and spacers; finally, I settled on a configuration that suited me for looks and performance. I saw a set of Work VS-TX on eBay from VR (jdmautohouse) that I dug but they turned out to be mid-disc so they wouldn't clear my Brembos. They were nice enough to offer me alternative wheels that would clear the brakes; Equip and VS-XX. I quickly chose Equips seeing as they have always been a long time favorite of mine. In the end we agreed to make:

19x9.5+0 High Disc 3" lip
19x10.5-7 Low Disc 4.5" lip
To clear 350Z Brembo brakes
To include center caps and valve stems
Faces and center caps to be powder coated as close to Work's OEM silver as possible (unless they are already that color).

Fast forward to the delivery date (which was quick and acceptable), I lay the wheels on the ground and quickly notice that there is not an inch difference between the front and rear wheels. After measuring, I realize I was sent 19x10+6 for the fronts instead of the 19x9.5+0. If I had not already ordered brand new tires for the specs that I purchased, this would have been less of an issue; but that wasn't the case. I quickly email Jack (the owner from what I have read) and after sending him pictures he agreed it was their mistake and to send the front wheels back for rebuild. Here's where things start going south. I explained to him that I would be going out of town for 9 days and if I have to send these wheels across country, have them rebuilt and shipped back to me that there was a possibility I wouldn't be here to accept them. I gave him 2 choices:

- offer me expedited shipping both ways so I have the wheels back before I leave.
- I keep the wheels he sent me and he gives me a partial refund to buy new tires. Keep in mind, the wheels he sent me have the same "poke" as the ones I ordered but would stretch the tires I had already bought more than I felt comfortable with; which I won't do.

He kind of avoided my "ultimatums" by saying he was abroad at the time and when he returned to the states the following week, he would send me a shipping label. At this point I wouldn't have my wheels back for almost a month (at least 2 weeks shipping plus build time). After telling him his resolution (if you want to call it that) was unacceptable, he managed to contact one of his employees in the states to send me a shipping label via email so I could get the ball rolling. This made me happy until I printed the label and read "Ground" on it. Great; now the wheels won't arrive in CA for another week.

Whatever, I took what I could get. Before I packed the wheels I mounted them to ensure brake clearance...here comes more disappointment; fronts do not clear Brembos. I emailed him the info/pictures and he replies that I was sent the highest disc Work makes blah, blah, blah. So I figure I have at least 2 weeks to wait before I see these wheels again and order 3mm spacers.

Ok, so 2 weeks go by and I get my front wheels back. I mount them (wheels in the air) with the 3mm spacers and they don't touch the caliper but it's close. I drive 20 feet down the road and hear this rotating thumping coming from the front; I know exactly what it is.
Name:  002_zps30dd2310.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  89.6 KB

At this point, the whole transaction is getting aggravating. I email him again with pictures stating I was told these wheels would clear Brembos and I didn't want to use spacers; hence me ordering custom wheels. He replies with pictures of him putting high-disc Equip faces on his R33 w/ Brembos; which means nothing to me. He even told me I could Google "Work Equip disc type," so I did him one better and emailed Work themselves. I received a reply from Logan at Work USA (admin for iputinwork.com) and here was his reply:

"You are correct, the Equip 5 spoke in 18" (since you have a 19" step rim) in R-Disk does not clear OEM Brembo on a 350Z.

The disks between wheel models are completely different, so "R-Disk" in one wheel is not the same clearance as "R-Disk" in another. In the case of the VS-XX, yes, the 350Z Brembo in 19" would require a R-Disk + 7mm spacer front. The Equip and VS-XX were both designed in the late 90's / early 00's, so it is understandable that at the time no one could predict the oversized factory calipers of today."

Since forwarding that response to Jack @ VR, it's been 11 days with no response. I'm done with them. He is obviously about his money with little to no regard to customer service. I had a small list of requirements from him and my wheels, of which only 2 were initially met; they were silver and the lip size was correct.

This is not a "bash" thread. I'm just sharing my experience. I feel that I gave this company plenty of opportunities to correct what was wronged and I was never rude with them. Live and learn.

Cliffs:

-Ordered custom wheels
-Front wheels were the wrong size
-Requested a partial refund or expedited shipping to correct the issue; received neither
-Front wheels were not only the wrong width but they didn't clear Brembos
-Spent more money on 3 and 5 millimeter spacers
-Work Wheels confirms Equip high disc won't clear Brembos
-VR ignores email
-I end up with custom wheels that require spacers and damaged Brembo calipers

Last edited by AdvanZ33; 06-06-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

sorry to hear of the troubles advan.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

This sucks Eddie. I guess they didn't come through

Chris
Old 08-05-2013, 05:50 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That sucks. Hope this hurts his business bc it should.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:17 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I definitely don't think he should be claiming certain wheels clear Brembos when they don't. It's not like you can buy OEM Brembo touch up paint.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:54 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
It's not like you can buy OEM Brembo touch up paint.
You almost can. Humbrol #54 is a very close match. There are a few threads here about using it to touch-up OEM Brembos. Worked great on mine.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:55 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Already have it. I did a write-up on it in a Brembo touch-up thread. Still, I don't want to "have" to use it.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:20 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

When you're ready for a truly customizable set of wheels let me know. I ordered my HRE & Forgeline wheels from Deviate Motoring in Conroe, Tx. Of course HRE & Forgeline are completely custom forged wheels. I was able to pick; sizing, offsets, colors, hardware style (exposed or not), center cap coloring, valve stems, TMPS, etc...
Old 08-07-2013, 03:56 PM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have never gotten a response from VRMotoring, so you're doing better than me. Think they suck, personally.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:35 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by driftsucky
I have never gotten a response from VRMotoring, so you're doing better than me. Think they suck, personally.
They (or Jack I should say) was actually very quick to respond to all my inquiries; even when he was in Europe. Just makes me mad that he claims no one has ever reported that they don't clear Brembos...I find that very hard to believe.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 PM
415mm
Professional

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience Advan. Now myself having been to VR and knowing at least 8 guys who've gotten wheels from there will tell you they are very inconsistent with their quality. I've known a few guys that have gotten wrong lip sizes or have leaks and needed the wheels disassembled and resealed. Luckily for us we can drive to the shop and handle the problems. Unlucky that Jacks givin you the runaround.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I've been saying it for a couple years now... Spend the extra cash and get a custom set of forged wheels made to your specs.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Jack usually takes care of his customers with issues... when they are local. Sucks that you had to go through all that.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:55 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks, I know the feeling. I sent a set of vintage AMG OZ 3-piece aluminum wheels to be refinished by http://www.wheeltechniques.com/ in Santa Clara a few years back. Told them exactly what I wanted, they came back with the lips powder cleared, which I explicitly requested not be done, and 1 wheel leaked from being not properly sealed, I even noticed one bolt was showing around 5mm of thread.... not even torqued down to the lip.

I'm under the idea now that if you want wheels done right, do it yourself, or locally. Shipping wheels gives the company too much power to screw you over when they mess up. All they have to do is just stop answering the phone.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Murfdizzle21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang I don't like hearing this... I was about to order a set of 19's from them this week. I don't have brembos to worry about but I'd like to know I'm getting exactly what I'm paying for and not something with the wrong disk or wrong offset.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:54 PM
sidewaysil80

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks, I had a set of custom VS-XX made and they were quick to respond and were cool with my 10000 changes/requests throughout the process. Wheels arrived perfectly fine and had no issues. They had to go to HRE wheels to get custom lips spun and didn't charge me extra. All in all great experience.

Sorry you didn't have the same experience :/
Old 11-25-2013, 11:01 PM
DrummerGirl

Damn, that really sucks especially the mark on the caliper. Here's hoping he compensates you for your troubles or at least makes them right. Most places don't really care for customer service anymore though, unfortunately. :/
Old 11-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Logan is the man. Glad you posted this up to warn potential customers. Some people don't have the ***** to post negative reviews.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:50 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by DrummerGirl
Damn, that really sucks especially the mark on the caliper. Here's hoping he compensates you for your troubles or at least makes them right. Most places don't really care for customer service anymore though, unfortunately. :/
I sent the last email to him before writing this review. I touched up my caliper and moved on. I still have trouble believing that I'm the ONLY person to purchase R-disc Equips from them with Z33 Brembos to have this issue and what bothers me more is I sent him multiple pictures without a spacer (could not install the wheel because it hit the caliper) and with a 3mm spacer (damaged my calipers) and he is probably still selling these wheels to Brembo owners stating they will clear.

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Logan is the man. Glad you posted this up to warn potential customers. Some people don't have the ***** to post negative reviews.
Dude I couldn't be more impressed with Logan. He has always returned my emails in a timely manner, super nice and knowledgeable.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:07 PM
fataLblitz

Damn sorry to hear that man. I lucked out on my built VSXX, and they just so happen to clear brembos, even though I didn't have that in mind when purchasing the set. Just saw a thread earlier regarding vsxx/equips not clearing brembos due to the early production date, which leads me to want to hold on to them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My "meh" Experience With VR Motoring (vrwheels.com)