MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires-60/)
-   -   a/s front tires with summer rear tires okay? (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/591554-a-s-front-tires-with-summer-rear-tires-okay.html)

rbatakji 03-17-2014 04:35 PM

a/s front tires with summer rear tires okay?

I have read getting different tires in the front then the rear are okay as long as the tread pattern is similar and the tire rating.
Well I have a pair of michelin pilot sport a/s plus tires for the front tires at 245/40/19. Would it be okay to put on michelin pilot sport tires 285/35/19 in the rear? The fronts would be an all season tire while the rear would be considered a summer tire. Tread pattern is very similar to the front tires in my opinion.
Would I be facing any serious negatives going this route?
Thanks

Spike100 03-17-2014 05:42 PM

Tire size could potentially be more an issue here than tread.
The 245/40-19” tire you plan placing in the front is too tall (by nearly 4%, which is bunch). The good news is the 285/35-19” you plan for the rears is not shorter than the 245/40-19’s on the front, but the sizes could still be problematic.

Since your plan is outside “normal,” all you can do is mount the tires, and test drive the vehicle. My guess is your handling will suffer from lesser grip on the front causing more understeer.

--Spike

beezee 03-17-2014 06:53 PM

If possible try and sell those front tires and get 255/35/19 summer tires.

dkmura 03-17-2014 07:05 PM

Beyond that, there'll be a significant change in the compounding of the two types of tires. The all-seasons will be harder in warm weather and make your Z understeer like crazy. After that, the summer tires won't have as broad a temperature range when it gets colder, and that could cause a lot of oversteer when you least need it. Not an optimum combination.

tom991 06-13-2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10349722)
Beyond that, there'll be a significant change in the compounding of the two types of tires. The all-seasons will be harder in warm weather and make your Z understeer like crazy. After that, the summer tires won't have as broad a temperature range when it gets colder, and that could cause a lot of oversteer when you least need it. Not an optimum combination.

Summer tires shoudn't have any problem since my car is in Florida and won't drive it north during the winter months.

dkmura 06-13-2019 12:32 PM

Beyond resurrecting a five-year old thread, I'm not sure what you're asking (or posting) here? If you're in Florida, you should just stick to summer max performance tires for the Z on both the front and rear.

MicVelo 06-13-2019 03:46 PM

If all one does with their car is go from point A to B and back home again (commuting or somesuch), it isn’t terrible/deadly to mix but as a general rule, it’s not a good idea to mix tires of differing handling characteristics.

tom991 06-14-2019 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10994766)
Beyond resurrecting a five-year old thread, I'm not sure what you're asking (or posting) here? If you're in Florida, you should just stick to summer max performance tires for the Z on both the front and rear.

I guess my question is since I'm sticking to summer performance tires, I want to get away from the noisy Bridgestone Potenza tires that were OEM on the car and was hoping the Michelin Pilots would be the answer to performance and noise reduction.