MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires-60/)
-   -   is this safe? (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/598087-is-this-safe.html)

zeop 09-29-2014 07:45 PM

is this safe?

2 Attachment(s)
I hit a curb and got some tire damage. I dont see any chords, its just black rubber. What do u think? Thanks

mr. sparco 09-29-2014 08:57 PM

You are at a higher risk for a blow out. How much of a risk is the question.

Emski 09-29-2014 10:11 PM

I would go get it checked out by a tire shop.

350Zdj 09-29-2014 10:28 PM

Looks like you peeled off a portion of the lip protector. I wouldn't be too concerned if it's used for daily commutes.

BUt take it to the tyre pro to get it checked anyways.

jhc 09-29-2014 10:48 PM

No, it's not.

terrasmak 09-30-2014 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by 350Zdj (Post 10474815)
Looks like you peeled off a portion of the lip protector. I wouldn't be too concerned if it's used for daily commutes.

BUt take it to the tyre pro to get it checked anyways.

Thinking the same thing, and no tire shop will say it's good. Liability and making money, two things near to their hearts

iideadeyeii 09-30-2014 06:24 AM

I've driven on WAYYY worse

dkmura 09-30-2014 06:39 AM

This is some of the worst advice I've seen on a thread here. That tire is clearly damaged and it's not just cosmetic. Both the tire and wheel took a major impact, and AT THE LEAST, should be dismounted and inspected. The rim is probably bent--on either the inside or outside--and will need repair (if possible) by an experienced wheel tech. The tire has sidewall damage that might make it dangerous to drive on.

Either way, having a tire or wheel fail at speed is an easy way to destroy a high-performance car like the Z. Don't risk thousands of dollars to save a few bucks.

turboed350z 09-30-2014 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10474979)
This is some of the worst advice I've seen on a thread here. That tire is clearly damaged and it's not just cosmetic. Both the tire and wheel took a major impact, and AT THE LEAST, should be dismounted and inspected. The rim is probably bent--on either the inside or outside--and will need repair (if possible) by an experienced wheel tech. The tire has sidewall damage that might make it dangerous to drive on.

Either way, having a tire or wheel fail at speed is an easy way to destroy a high-performance car like the Z. Don't risk thousands of dollars to save a few bucks.

I agree that he should have it inspected and not cheap out. But to assume he bent or crack the tires because of a minor curb rash is a bit extreme don't ya think?

Syner 09-30-2014 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by turboed350z (Post 10474995)
I agree that he should have it inspected and not cheap out. But to assume he bent or crack the tires because of a minor curb rash is a bit extreme don't ya think?

A slice that deep on a sidewall (especially low-pros like the Z) would have me tossing the tire, regardless of whether or not a shop says they're safe.

But that's just me.

RedScytheZ 09-30-2014 07:59 AM

OP everyone is going to give varying opinions. Tire shops are 100% going to want to replace it. Personally I'd look into to a new tire and would be driving like a grandma until it gets on. I can't tell if its the front or back, but having a blow out in the front on the freeway has left me traumatized. If you have to ask, you probably know its not as safe.

RedScytheZ 09-30-2014 08:02 AM

I agree that he should have it inspected and not cheap out. But to assume he bent or crack the wheel because of a minor curb rash is a bit extreme don't ya think?

Fixed. And no its not extreme at all. I bent a wheel on a curb before.

turboed350z 09-30-2014 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by RedScytheZ (Post 10475074)

Double post

turboed350z 09-30-2014 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by RedScytheZ (Post 10475074)

Thanks! Haha idk why I wrote tires. Anyways I can see a crack wheel from hitting a curb hard or straight on. But from the pic, it looks like he just curbed it. Misjudge while he was turning? I have never herd of a crack or bent wheel from curbing it.

dkmura 09-30-2014 08:34 AM

I'm not assuming anything at all. OP needs to have the wheel and tire dismounted and inspected. PERIOD. People don't understand that wheels are flexible devices and taking a shot like that will likely bend the rim. Whether or not it's a permanent bend is something you need a skilled wheel tech with a run-out gauge to inspect. I've been in motorsports a long time and have seen high quality alloy wheels get bent running over exit curbing at the track. And that's nothing compared to the shot a wheel would take on the street.

turboed350z 09-30-2014 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10475105)
I'm not assuming anything at all. OP needs to have the wheel and tire dismounted and inspected. PERIOD. People don't understand that wheels are flexible devices and taking a shot like that will likely bend the rim. Whether or not it's a permanent bend is something you need a skilled wheel tech with a run-out gauge to inspect. I've been in motorsports a long time and have seen high quality alloy wheels get bent running over exit curbing at the track. And that's nothing compared to the shot a wheel would take on the street.

Again, I understand where your coming from. But from the pic, it looks like the op just curbed the wheel instead of hitting it hard head on. 2 different kind of damages and different kind of hits

dkmura 09-30-2014 10:13 AM

Even if OP "just" curbed the wheel, it could be badly damaged. Depends on whether it was a power-on drift, the angle it hit or other factors. The only way to know for sure is to dismount the wheel and tire and inspect both thoroughly. Pisses me off because some of the opinions here seems to be "oh, that doesn't look too bad." That's just poor advise, and my350Z used to be better than that.

turboed350z 09-30-2014 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10475166)
Even if OP "just" curbed the wheel, it could be badly damaged. Depends on whether it was a power-on drift, the angle it hit or other factors. The only way to know for sure is to dismount the wheel and tire and inspect both thoroughly. Pisses me off because some of the opinions here seems to be "oh, that doesn't look too bad." That's just poor advise, and my350Z used to be better than that.

I agree that some advice is is bad, but base on the pic and my opinion is that hit probably mis judge during a normal turn and just nicked the wheels. Base on that, it would be un necessary to unmount and check the wheels. Now, personally, I would go ahead and replace the tire. During the removal of the old tire and the mounting of the new tire, have the shop check for cracks and bend.

Waiz 09-30-2014 11:22 AM

Probably looks worse than it is

I would just keep an eye on your pressures with a quality gauge and if you notice any significant dips you know you have an issue

turboed350z 09-30-2014 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Waiz (Post 10475271)
Probably looks worse than it is

I would just keep an eye on your pressures with a quality gauge and if you notice any significant dips you know you have an issue

The problem is it's on the sidewall. They threat isn't that the tire loses pressure. The threat is that the tire will blow at high speed.