MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires-60/)
-   -   Winter Tires (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/620571-winter-tires.html)

Cameron Seibert 10-08-2018 08:47 AM

Winter Tires

Hey everyone!
coming up to winter this will be my first winter with the Z and was planning on getting tires for my stock 18's (2003 Touring) and ive found some tires in the used market with plenty of tread just wondering if..

will they fit my stock 18s and in the wheel well?
will it mess with traction control/vdc? Or cause damage to that system?

first option is: $200
Blizzaks 235/40/18 all around ~60%tread

second: $150
Dunlop Winter Sports 245/40/18 ~70% + 40% tread

third option: $50
Ice X2 225/60/17 (comes with stock EX35 wheels mounted already) ~70% tread

thank you, ive been reading a 225/55/17 is good just the extra sidewall bothers me. As well as messing with the VDC.

Heel Til I Die 10-08-2018 09:09 AM

I like using this calculator for different setups: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

It's pretty easy - you just enter in your stock specs and then the new setup and it gives you the differences and whether it will fit. In order to keep VDC from going crazy, a good rule is to keep the circumference under 3%.

Cameron Seibert 10-08-2018 09:44 AM

Will a square setup mess with vdc? Or is it purely based on the difference in circumference.

dkmura 10-08-2018 01:34 PM

A square setup should work with VDC. Rolling circumference is the key measurement.

Cameron Seibert 10-08-2018 03:26 PM

Whats the circumference forumla for vdc?
regular circumference of stock setup and do the same for the new setup and calculate the percentage difference?

MicVelo 10-08-2018 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron Seibert (Post 10973842)
Whats the circumference forumla for vdc?
regular circumference of stock setup and do the same for the new setup and calculate the percentage difference?

Don't bother with pies-are-squared.... not needed.

Just calc the diameters using the tire sizes, check delta F-R keeping the delta between 1.5 and 3.0% MAX. (Taller rear of course). You could use circumference but not necessary. VDC uses wheel speeds to determine triggering so diameter gives the ratio as easily as circumference.

Oh, and while I live in sunny CA and have only owned one set of "winter tires" (because they came on the car), I've "heard" that skinny, tall sidewall, dedicated snows on all wheels are the ticket if you must drive in it. But I really have no clue, just parroting stuff I read from cold clime people....

Cameron Seibert 10-09-2018 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by MicVelo (Post 10973847)
Don't bother with pies-are-squared.... not needed.

Just calc the diameters using the tire sizes, check delta F-R keeping the delta between 1.5 and 3.0% MAX. (Taller rear of course). You could use circumference but not necessary. VDC uses wheel speeds to determine triggering so diameter gives the ratio as easily as circumference.

Oh, and while I live in sunny CA and have only owned one set of "winter tires" (because they came on the car), I've "heard" that skinny, tall sidewall, dedicated snows on all wheels are the ticket if you must drive in it. But I really have no clue, just parroting stuff I read from cold clime people....

sounds good thank you!
but wouldnt the skinny tall sidewall in all 4 wheels mess with the vdc since it would be more then 3%?

MicVelo 10-09-2018 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron Seibert (Post 10973888)
sounds good thank you!
but wouldnt the skinny tall sidewall in all 4 wheels mess with the vdc since it would be more then 3%?

Well, I don't have VDC so don't know if an even set up (square) would affect it; but others say square should work.

But, to be sure, choose the two different size tires to preserve the correct ratio, F-R. Like, why not just stick with the same 225/45 & 245/45 sizes in a snow tire? You mention that others mentioned 17" sizes... which would necessitate a separate wheel set. (Not actually a bad idea to just have a second winter set then store 'em dry the rest of the year.) Also, not really sure what type of conditions you're talking about.... do you need full snows or can you get away with a set of M&S tires?

Again, I'm probably the wrong person to be asking about snow/winter tires but all of this is from my years hanging out with other forum (not just Z cars) people who do live in such conditions.

Cameron Seibert 10-09-2018 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by MicVelo (Post 10973889)
Well, I don't have VDC so don't know if an even set up (square) would affect it; but others say square should work.

But, to be sure, choose the two different size tires to preserve the correct ratio, F-R. Like, why not just stick with the same 225/45 & 245/45 sizes in a snow tire? You mention that others mentioned 17" sizes... which would necessitate a separate wheel set. (Not actually a bad idea to just have a second winter set then store 'em dry the rest of the year.) Also, not really sure what type of conditions you're talking about.... do you need full snows or can you get away with a set of M&S tires?

Again, I'm probably the wrong person to be asking about snow/winter tires but all of this is from my years hanging out with other forum (not just Z cars) people who do live in such conditions.

im in northern IL so anywhere from slush to 5" of snow. And i have my stock 18s as Purely snow set. Im on my summer wheel setup right now. And im trying to be cost effective for now as 245/40/18 all around im thinking and save about $600 from a new set of blizzaks, just needs to last about 1 or 2 years.

Spike100 10-09-2018 01:16 PM

Hi Cam. I am in Minnesota where there is plenty of snow and ice during the Winter. I run 17" wheels during the winter months because this size is better handles temperature fluctuations (Minnesota can go from freezing to lower than minus 20 degrees F) and road imperfections (i.e., "potholes").

I'm running Dunlop Graspic DS-2 studless tires (225/55-17” all-square) for several years now.
ADDITIONAL NOTE: Dunlop has updated these tires.

I have a 2003 Performance Model 350z, and hence VDC. I have no trouble running the all-square setup, but notice my all-square setup uses the rear tire diameter.
ADDITIONAL NOTE: I did have problems with VDC on my 2003 when I ran an all-square setup that was the front tire diameter.