Looking to get new rims. Wondering about sizes. - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Go Back  MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion > 350Z Tech Area > Wheels & Tires
Reload this Page >

Looking to get new rims. Wondering about sizes.

Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to get new rims. Wondering about sizes.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:06 PM
  #1  
Hypes
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 43
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Looking to get new rims. Wondering about sizes.

Let me give some information about my car and plans firstly.
08 350z on stock suspension (I would like coilovers possibly in the future *If i go much lower than it is now my front bumper is toast)
I currently have 245/40/18s tires front - and 265/40/18s rear on stock rims. * these would be going on the new rims as they only have a few thousand miles on them. and I can't afford to spend $800 for some news one ATM.

The rims i'm looking at are ESR SR08's and I've read that 18x9.5 +22 are good front rims and 18x10.5 +22 are good rears. *When it comes time to getting new tires what would be optimal to run if these rims are the correct specs? I really like how they feel right now.

The car is my daily driver and would just see spirited driving.

I just want the car to look flush and not like a tonka truck or anything. Thanks in advance!

Hypes is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:27 PM
  #2  
Chihuahuamaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 81
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Switching your current tires onto your selected wheel sizes will work fine. Just keep in mind, your tires will be slightly stretched.

As for your +22 offset, it's not exactly flush with the fenders, (in the rear at least), but you shouldn't have any rubbing issues. Although it's flush enough for most people. I run +12 or +15 offset just for comparison, and the wheels/ tires are right at the fender, which will definitely require rolling the rear fender well. You can look through some of the wheel/tire thread pictures for reference in almost any size/ combination you can imagine.

There is not necessarily a 'correct' tire size, just depends on what kind of look you like, and if performance matters to you. For a 10.5 wide wheel, I wouldn't run less than a 285/40 tire (rear). It would be wise to keep the stock tire width differences, as you have already done, i.e. 245/265, or 265/285, as an example.
Chihuahuamaster is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:48 PM
  #3  
Hypes
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 43
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Chihuahuamaster View Post
Switching your current tires onto your selected wheel sizes will work fine. Just keep in mind, your tires will be slightly stretched.

As for your +22 offset, it's not exactly flush with the fenders, (in the rear at least), but you shouldn't have any rubbing issues. Although it's flush enough for most people. I run +12 or +15 offset just for comparison, and the wheels/ tires are right at the fender, which will definitely require rolling the rear fender well. You can look through some of the wheel/tire thread pictures for reference in almost any size/ combination you can imagine.

There is not necessarily a 'correct' tire size, just depends on what kind of look you like, and if performance matters to you. For a 10.5 wide wheel, I wouldn't run less than a 285/40 tire (rear). It would be wise to keep the stock tire width differences, as you have already done, i.e. 245/265, or 265/285, as an example.
I figured the 265/285 would be my next tire size purchase. I see some people are using 245/40 fronts than 275/35 rears or 255/35 fronts and 285/35 rears and benefits to these over the 265/40-285/40?
Hypes is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:26 PM
  #4  
Chihuahuamaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: US
Posts: 81
Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Default

The only benefit I see using those sizes is you can lower the car more, without rubbing issues. I prefer a more 'beefy' look, so a wider tire and 40 sidewall, even on a lowered suspension car. I think the width difference between the example of 245/275 is still acceptable. However, the higher width difference between the front and rear sizes there is, the more the rear end is going to 'push' the car when cornering, etc...
Chihuahuamaster is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:51 PM
  #5  
Spike100
350Z-holic
 
Spike100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edina, Minnesota
Posts: 6,970
Thanked 123 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hypes View Post
I figured the 265/285 would be my next tire size purchase. I see some people are using 245/40 fronts than 275/35 rears or 255/35 fronts and 285/35 rears and benefits to these over the 265/40-285/40?
As a general rule, you want to stay close to the stock tire diameter. The electronics on your car (ABS, TCS, VDC, etc.) can malfunction when the tire circumference differs from stock. Also, remember the front tires are shorter than the rears on your 350z.

Owners who race their 350z’s sometimes go with a slightly less tall tire (less diameter than stock) depending upon the event. The benefit here is slightly better acceleration since a tire with less diameter in effect decreases the gear ratio. These guys disconnect (totally disable) the “babysitter” electronics so that they get no interference from TCS, VDC, speed sensors, etc.
Spike100 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:50 PM
  #6  
Hypes
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 43
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Spike100 View Post
As a general rule, you want to stay close to the stock tire diameter. The electronics on your car (ABS, TCS, VDC, etc.) can malfunction when the tire circumference differs from stock. Also, remember the front tires are shorter than the rears on your 350z.

Owners who race their 350z’s sometimes go with a slightly less tall tire (less diameter than stock) depending upon the event. The benefit here is slightly better acceleration since a tire with less diameter in effect decreases the gear ratio. These guys disconnect (totally disable) the “babysitter” electronics so that they get no interference from TCS, VDC, speed sensors, etc.
Ah that makes sense, 265/40 & 285/40 it is down the road. I think I read on willtheyfit that my speedo is going to read a few mph off though.
Hypes is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:39 PM
  #7  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,817
Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Spike100 View Post
As a general rule, you want to stay close to the stock tire diameter. The electronics on your car (ABS, TCS, VDC, etc.) can malfunction when the tire circumference differs from stock. Also, remember the front tires are shorter than the rears on your 350z.

Owners who race their 350z’s sometimes go with a slightly less tall tire (less diameter than stock) depending upon the event. The benefit here is slightly better acceleration since a tire with less diameter in effect decreases the gear ratio. These guys disconnect (totally disable) the “babysitter” electronics so that they get no interference from TCS, VDC, speed sensors, etc.
Or they match the aspect ratios and keep the stagger ratio of the tires constant to maintain the F-R spin ratio, thereby keeping wheel speed sensors reporting normal. IOW, both front and rear are shorter by the same amount from stock. 40-40, 35-35, etc.

MicVelo is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:45 PM
  #8  
Hypes
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 43
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

I'm having a real hard time finding some wheels that are in stock for 9.5 and 10.5 with +22 offsets is there any similar setups I can look for?
A lot of the options are 8.75s/9s/9.75s/10s with +35 offset and some with +20 offset

Last edited by Hypes; 02-12-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Hypes is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:16 PM
  #9  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,817
Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hypes View Post
I'm having a real hard time finding some wheels that are in stock for 9.5 and 10.5 with +22 offsets is there any similar setups I can look for?
A lot of the options are 8.75s/9s/9.75s/10s with +35 offset and some with +20 offset
Guess people don't like to search anymore. We JUST had this convo for the 2877th time. Haha....

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...h-fitment.html

MicVelo is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:46 AM
  #10  
Hypes
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 43
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
Guess people don't like to search anymore. We JUST had this convo for the 2877th time. Haha....

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...h-fitment.html
I read your post on there that's why I was looking for +22s but out of the sizes in stock a lot of wheels are +30 and above offset and have limited sizes like 8/8.75/9s

from the one's I like the largest setup i could find was 18x8.75+20 fronts and 18x9.75+20 rears

I also read your back to basics post but i'm just trying to be 100% sure i'm not wasting money by buying the wrong stuff

I guess now i'm at the point of a few options.
1) 18x9.5 +10 & 18x11+8 -
2)18x11+8s all around
or use 18x9+33 or 18x9 +10

Those 3 sizes are all that are offered

Last edited by Hypes; 02-13-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Hypes is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:30 AM
  #11  
Hypes
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 43
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

ended up just getting 18x9.5 +10s all around gonna use my 245/40 and 265/40 tires.

Should i run a square tire setup as well?

Last edited by Hypes; 02-13-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Hypes is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:29 PM
  #12  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,817
Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hypes View Post
ended up just getting 18x9.5 +10s all around gonna use my 245/40 and 265/40 tires.

Should i run a square tire setup as well?
Alrighty then.... are your rear fenders rolled?

If not, might need to with +10s. But maybe not since you're putting on 265s. Just be cautious when you first drive it around.
MicVelo is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 02:21 PM
  #13  
Hypes
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 43
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
Alrighty then.... are your rear fenders rolled?

If not, might need to with +10s. But maybe not since you're putting on 265s. Just be cautious when you first drive it around.
They are not rolled I only had the option of the 9.5 + 10s with 11 +8s, and the 11 +8s stick out way past the fender flare so figured 9.5s all around would be better. would running 265/40s all around be my optimal setup. the 245/265 is just temporary as they're new tires and i don't wanna waste them.
Hypes is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 04:25 PM
  #14  
Spike100
350Z-holic
 
Spike100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edina, Minnesota
Posts: 6,970
Thanked 123 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hypes View Post
ended up just getting 18x9.5 +10s all around gonna use my 245/40 and 265/40 tires.

Should i run a square tire setup as well?
That is a great wheel/tire setup! Heck... You may not need to roll the rear fenders. I have 275/40-18 on 9.5" wheels with a 15 mm offset, and I don't rub.

The 350z's front/rear weight distribution is close to neutral; and all-square tire setup could introduce over-steer (which can be very dangerous for less than expert drivers). I will bet you like the 245/40 and 265/40 tire-combo, and it is a safer setup.
Spike100 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike100 For This Useful Post:
Hypes (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 04:35 PM
  #15  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,817
Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hypes View Post
They are not rolled I only had the option of the 9.5 + 10s with 11 +8s, and the 11 +8s stick out way past the fender flare so figured 9.5s all around would be better. would running 265/40s all around be my optimal setup. the 245/265 is just temporary as they're new tires and i don't wanna waste them.
Originally Posted by Spike100 View Post
That is a great wheel/tire setup! Heck... You may not need to roll the rear fenders. I have 275/40-18 on 9.5" wheels with a 15 mm offset, and I don't rub.

The 350z's front/rear weight distribution is close to neutral; and all-square tire setup could introduce over-steer (which can be very dangerous for less than expert drivers). I will bet you like the 245/40 and 265/40 tire-combo, and it is a safer setup.
This. ^^^

Try out the 265s. As I said, you might be lucky enough at stock height that you don't rub even with the fairly aggressive offset. When/if you drop the car, THEN you might run into issues. But cross that bridge when you get to the riverbank.

My 9.5 +15s rubbed very slightly over speed bumps and driveways. My car is only modestly lowered (-19mm). Never had a problem until that set.

What wheels did you go with? Or post pics!
MicVelo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MicVelo For This Useful Post:
Hypes (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 05:15 PM
  #16  
Hypes
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 43
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
This. ^^^

Try out the 265s. As I said, you might be lucky enough at stock height that you don't rub even with the fairly aggressive offset. When/if you drop the car, THEN you might run into issues. But cross that bridge when you get to the riverbank.

My 9.5 +15s rubbed very slightly over speed bumps and driveways. My car is only modestly lowered (-19mm). Never had a problem until that set.

What wheels did you go with? Or post pics!
Thanks for the help i'm excited and hope all works out well. I went with Hyper Bronze Cosmis XT-206R. They're not rays but i'll love them just as much as if they where lol. Also my car is Carbon Silver so hopefully the hyper bronze gives me a nice unique look. I'll post a picture when they come in.

Last edited by Hypes; 02-13-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Hypes is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 05:40 PM
  #17  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,817
Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hypes View Post
Thanks for the help i'm excited and hope all works out well. I went with Hyper Bronze Cosmis XT-206R. They're not rays but i'll love them just as much as if they where lol. Also my car is Carbon Silver so hopefully the hyper bronze gives me a nice unique look. I'll post a picture when they come in.
Nice wheels.

I'm sure you've seen this (where you'll be posting, hahaha): https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...ls-thread.html
MicVelo is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ssmokeyy
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
22
10-17-2015 08:30 AM
PostRelease
Wheels & Tires
0
02-24-2009 10:59 AM
PostRelease
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
0
02-24-2009 10:59 AM
bauer
Engine & Drivetrain
4
02-07-2004 08:00 PM
Ooze
Wheels & Tires
2
02-03-2004 08:00 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to get new rims. Wondering about sizes.


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: