Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 09:41 AM
carlcampion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Tires

I plan to drive my Z in the winter in Toronto Ontario Can any one recomend the best way to go with snow tires and rims Sizes Makes

How will it handle in the snow any one tryed it ?

Till later

Carl
Old 08-16-2004, 11:20 AM
kernel

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22

put them on any rims you want. 17's or 18's maybe get a spair set from tire rack with the tires mounted for easy use or put them on your stock rims, and get a new set of rims and tires for the summer. most people that drive in the winter do one of the 2.

i have mounted blizzak's on my stock preformance 18's they cost about $1000.00 mounted and balanced, but thats the price you pay to drive in the snow.

i would not suggest trying to drive in the snow with stock tires, you might be able to get away with it somedays but a heavy snow storm will happen and you won't get the car going anywhere not to mention its just really dangerous driving on those tires.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:06 PM
CelticPride2

I used Blizzak LM-22's in the stock tire size last winter....worked like a charm. You definitely don't want to use the stock tires in the winter...once the snow kicks up, they're just not safe.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:12 PM
FrankieZZ

Did a 360 on standard REO40s on 2mm of precip during the winter . Get the Blizzaks !They are DANGEROUS , Period !
Old 08-16-2004, 06:58 PM
kws

i will buy a new 17" wheel for my winter drive

and i want to know what tire size should i buy????

front tire 17/55/225????
rear tire 17/55/225????

or rear tire need wide than front tire?????

rear tire 17/55/235?????
Old 08-19-2004, 04:30 AM
carlcampion

Thanks for all the input
I do relize that smow tires are a must In Ontario
Is it possoble to get a set of steel rims for the Z
Would any of you recomend rust and paint protection like a zebart

Thanks Carl
Old 08-19-2004, 05:40 AM
03 Z for ME

For the price of 4 winter RIMS and Quality snow tires, you can uy a 4 X 4 winter beater.

I don't drive my Z once the snow flys, NOT because I don't trust myself or the Z, but because I don't trust all the OTHER fools on the road.

Save your Z, get a beater....
Old 08-19-2004, 05:48 AM
roydiculous

The winter beater philosophy always intrigued me. For $2,000, someone is going to buy an unreliable piece of $hit that won't be able to handle as well as the Z shod with good winter tires?!?!?!

Who gets a $30-35k vehicle, only to let it collect dust while you make car payments and drive an ugly dangerous POS.

I for one will buy snow tires and wheels - I'm not going to enjoy the expense but I know that for the 80% of the time when there is no snow/ice on the road, I'll be having a ton of fun and for the rest of the 20% this winter, I'll just go slow.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:56 AM
03 Z for ME

Originally posted by roydiculous
The winter beater philosophy always intrigued me. For $2,000, someone is going to buy an unreliable piece of $hit that won't be able to handle as well as the Z shod with good winter tires?!?!?!

Who gets a $30-35k vehicle, only to let it collect dust while you make car payments and drive an ugly dangerous POS.

I for one will buy snow tires and wheels - I'm not going to enjoy the expense but I know that for the 80% of the time when there is no snow/ice on the road, I'll be having a ton of fun and for the rest of the 20% this winter, I'll just go slow.

For $2000.00 I bought a 1989 Jeep Cherokee, for $200.00 I did a Tune up, (plugs, wires, oil, filters, and brakes) The Jeep works WONDERFUL and is VERY reliable. The Z is SAFE in the garage, winterized, and covered.

I keep the Z in the garage and protect it from cinders, salt, and other drivers. I am SORRY to tell you that a FOUR WHEEL DRIVER "beater" will go MANY more places, MUCH safer than a rear wheel drive, high horsepower, and high torque sports car, even with Blizzaks.

now, before you flame me and say I "baby" the Z... I track it, I drive it daily 9 month of the year, and I take it on cross country road trips. I have 35,000 miles on it after purchasing it NEW less than 15 months ago.

SAVE YOUR Z. Get a Winter 4 X 4.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:08 AM
Lerxst

I just got my winter wheels in from TireRack.

ASA KA3 Rims with Blizzak WS50's

Larry at TireRack said the WS50's will handle snow better than the LM22's and are much cheaper. The compromise is they have a bit more tread depth so they are less performance oriented, and are Q-rated... I personally can't see myself doing more than 99 mph in the middle of February in Winnipeg. I couldn't live with myself if I had put black steel rims on such a beautiful car. The ASA's were decent looking, relatively cheap, and are supposed to fit over the Brembos, according to TireRack.

After shipping, duty, pst, and gst, (no brokerage) they cost me $2028 CDN.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:22 AM
CelticPride2

I wasn't able to find 17" steel rims when I was shopping around last fall, so I ended up getting alloys instead. In hindsight, I think it was a much wiser move. They look a lot better than steelies, and they won't rust over time. I ended up getting 17" ADR Akunin rims....here's a photo of how they look on the car, for anyone who's curious:
Attached Thumbnails Snow Tires-full-view-passenger-side-12-27-2003.jpg  
Old 08-19-2004, 07:35 AM
roydiculous

Originally posted by 03 Z for ME
For $2000.00 I bought a 1989 Jeep Cherokee, for $200.00 I did a Tune up, (plugs, wires, oil, filters, and brakes) The Jeep works WONDERFUL and is VERY reliable. The Z is SAFE in the garage, winterized, and covered.

I keep the Z in the garage and protect it from cinders, salt, and other drivers. I am SORRY to tell you that a FOUR WHEEL DRIVER "beater" will go MANY more places, MUCH safer than a rear wheel drive, high horsepower, and high torque sports car, even with Blizzaks.

now, before you flame me and say I "baby" the Z... I track it, I drive it daily 9 month of the year, and I take it on cross country road trips. I have 35,000 miles on it after purchasing it NEW less than 15 months ago.

SAVE YOUR Z. Get a Winter 4 X 4.
You make some great points. I had a 1997 Pathfinder LE that I traded in for the Z. I just got some great Yokohama all-seasons too - but I guess in my case I just couldn't AFFORD 2 cars.

I got $5,750 for the trade - plus the tax incentive, that was a $6,000 savings. I sometimes wish I kept it around but I knew it was on the verge of some new shocks and other $$$ maintenance.

I can take the commuter rail to my office - and I street park. If I had a garage for 2 cars, THEN I would have kept the Pathfinder and garaged the Z... it would have made my 5 day camping trip last week alot easier.

I'm going to post pics of the Z FULL of camping gear - I even scratched it on the stupid trees at the campsite
Old 08-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Lerxst

Originally posted by kws
i will buy a new 17" wheel for my winter drive

and i want to know what tire size should i buy????

front tire 17/55/225????
rear tire 17/55/225????

or rear tire need wide than front tire?????

rear tire 17/55/235?????

For my ASA KA3's Tire Rack recommended 17/50/225 front and 17/55/225 for the rears.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:10 AM
carlcampion

CelticPride2 your Z looks so good with the 17" snows on
How does it handle with 17" Snows
Can you tell me the deatals 17" ADR Akunin and tire size
how much did this cost ? if you don't mind me asking

As for the winter beater I can't be botherd with two cars and I got the Z to drive and I only have a single car garage

Carl
Old 08-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Sly_Z

My Z will be acting like a Bear this winter:-)

I'll drive the Jetta or the Eclipse. Both fun fast cars not beaters at all.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:33 PM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by carlcampion
CelticPride2 your Z looks so good with the 17" snows on
How does it handle with 17" Snows
Can you tell me the deatals 17" ADR Akunin and tire size
how much did this cost ? if you don't mind me asking

As for the winter beater I can't be botherd with two cars and I got the Z to drive and I only have a single car garage

Carl
Check your PM box...

--CP2
Old 08-20-2004, 04:36 AM
Zcarboy

Only since I have a paid off Neon I'll use that car for snow days. I know the Neon isn't the greatest in the snow, but better than the Z. Although I was ready to drive the Z in the NJ snow if I had too with snow tires, but wife doesn't like that idea. Heck she drives a 2001 Nissan Xterra what she got to worry.

I agree with others on why we spend a 30K+ for a car that we might need a winter beater. It all depends on your buget and if you are comfortable with the Z in the snow. I have driven many RWD sport cars in the snow and it isn't fun, but I always got home.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:21 AM
grifferjr

Originally posted by kernel
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22

put them on any rims you want. 17's or 18's maybe get a spair set from tire rack with the tires mounted for easy use or put them on your stock rims, and get a new set of rims and tires for the summer. most people that drive in the winter do one of the 2.

i have mounted blizzak's on my stock preformance 18's they cost about $1000.00 mounted and balanced, but thats the price you pay to drive in the snow.

i would not suggest trying to drive in the snow with stock tires, you might be able to get away with it somedays but a heavy snow storm will happen and you won't get the car going anywhere not to mention its just really dangerous driving on those tires.
how does this sound?

I recently updated my tires from 17 inch to 19's all around with rims. that i will use for the rest of the summer. well because of that i still have the stock 17's with the original 040 rears but the fronts are bridgestone all weather re92's. long story here but the short end is that is what the dealer put on the fronts cause of the feathering and backorder of the 040's. instead of spending 2-3 thousand on a beater car for the winter, what do you think of the idea of running blizzaks on the rears and trash the OG 040's (they are damn near bald anyway) and still run the fronts with the all weather/all seasons and go around in the winter with the stock 17's on? good idea or bad idea? any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:05 AM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by grifferjr
how does this sound?

I recently updated my tires from 17 inch to 19's all around with rims. that i will use for the rest of the summer. well because of that i still have the stock 17's with the original 040 rears but the fronts are bridgestone all weather re92's. long story here but the short end is that is what the dealer put on the fronts cause of the feathering and backorder of the 040's. instead of spending 2-3 thousand on a beater car for the winter, what do you think of the idea of running blizzaks on the rears and trash the OG 040's (they are damn near bald anyway) and still run the fronts with the all weather/all seasons and go around in the winter with the stock 17's on? good idea or bad idea? any input is greatly appreciated.
Although I'm no expert, that doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. An all-season tire is probably going to have noticably different handling characteristics vs. a pure snow tire in bad weather. Therefore, if you put Blizzaks on the rear and all-seasons on the front, you'll end up having a car with a split personality in terms of handling. Anyone else have any experiences with this that they'd like to share?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:39 PM
zectasy

i think instead of buying good winter tires just spend 500-1000 bucks on a decent winter beater....just my .02 cents

Quick Reply: Snow Tires