Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMPORTANT! Anyone's rear hatch close unevenly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 03:47 PM
BullishZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMPORTANT! Anyone's rear hatch close unevenly?

I never mentioned this because I thought it would be fixed without any problems, but NOW I have a problem.

When I took delivery of the car, I noticed that the rear hatch closed unevenly, by just a couple millimeters... However, anyone taking a close look could tell that it's uneven. For example, if I were to stick my pinky in the gap of the rear and the hatch, on the left side my pinky will not fit inside. On the right side it does.

The sales people and dealership manager noted this before I took delivery of the car, and said that they will fix it. I waited until I was done with the 1200 breakin to finally take the car into the dealership, and that was today morning.

They just called me and said that the rear hatch doesn't "flex and is not tolerant" to be BENT to alignment. They called Nissan Tech and after giving them the measurements were told that it is within the factory specifications of the vehicle and would not / cannot be fixed.

Is this NORMAL and should I stop trippin???

I am not happy because it was noted that it will be fixed before I bought the car. I called NNA consumer affairs, and they said that they can open a complaint and try to have the dealership compensate me... either with an extended warranty or maybe some accessories. (SP?)

What are your thoughts? I'm heading down there in 15 mins, so post comments pls!
Old 11-05-2002, 03:59 PM
BullishZ

Anyone?
Old 11-05-2002, 04:18 PM
WayneTN

Default everything's gonna be OK

I guess you've already left, but, anyway, hope you get things worked out there.

I don't have my car yet, but there's always going to be something not quite right with any car. Since it apparently can't easily be fixed, I'd ask the dealer if they could make it right with an extended warranty or accessories or something since they agreed to fix it when you bought it.

Your car will never be perfect and sooner or later a door will hit it anyway (unless you never drive it). I'd just go with it and enjoy the car.

Others may disagree. Your mileage may vary.
WayneTN
Old 11-05-2002, 04:39 PM
shoalhaven

Thumbs down Uneven Hatch

I read your thread and went out to check mine.

My trunk closes evenly all the way across. The fit seems to be as close to perfect as I could expect.

Don't let them BULL you about those tolerances. I would also call NNA in your area and register a complaint

Good Luck!
Old 11-05-2002, 05:08 PM
d8abusa

Well I checked mine and I have a variance of 1/8th of an inch between each end of the hatch.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:18 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tolerances are sposed to be quite small, but as they machine parts, their equipment wears down, the idea is to re hone(sp?) the bit before it gets too far out, but during the first few months, they are still working the kinks out of the system and some bits wear faster than others.

this is one of thos things that you get off any new assembly line. and dont think this isnt even more of a problem with honing engine cyclinders and crank shafts. I know because I took a trip with my dad to deckard tenn, where he supplies all the grinding wheels to make the altima and maxima 3.5VQ. they were having problems with stones grinding down too fast and throwing off the tolerances.

they will get it all fixed eventually, but for now, its still a work in project.

(note that deckard engines were not being used in cars untill they were within their standards, and this does not directly apply to japanese plants, but I would imagine some of the same problems could be had over there.)
Old 11-05-2002, 05:23 PM
ksj

Hope this helps and I don't get in trouble for it...
Attached Thumbnails IMPORTANT!  Anyone's rear hatch close unevenly?-reardoor.jpg  
Old 11-05-2002, 05:26 PM
TRACK350z

I would push for the extended warranty, it will help with resale!
Old 11-05-2002, 09:05 PM
BullishZ

Thanks for your posts. Here is an update.

I went to the dealership, and they actually fixed it REALLY well.

It's only off by 1 millimeter now. VERY TOLERABLE!

I was happy I got the car back in good shape, and they gave me a much needed WASH as well. Also, they only drove it 0.2 miles, which is VERY GOOD to me!

Good job, Nissan of Orange! Had me worried there for a sec.

Yes, and although I can be an ******* perfectionist and push to get the extended warranty... I believe in Karma and don't want any negative forces on the car because I was being a dick about 1 millimeter. What if someone hits and runs on my car or something?

Heh, call me weird...