MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Reputation of Z Drivers... (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/160866-reputation-of-z-drivers.html)

zpak 12-24-2005 02:41 AM

Reputation of Z Drivers...

Was just curious...

What is your perception of how Z drivers/owners are perceived?

I've been visiting the other forums, and every once in a while, they'll have a "Z v.s. _____" thread (much like we do here), but they'll actually generalize traits and qualities to us as a whole, and it's usually very negative (the most popular: "cocky").

Not that the opinions of others matter that much (so, please, no "Who cares what other people think?!?" responses, because I agree...who cares?); I'm just wondering how we, as a community, view ourselves. :confused:

** 12-24-2005 02:46 AM

by the outside: 20 somethings who cant afford a porsche :mad:

by "most" of ourselves: hardcore enthusiasts of a bare bones sportscar with a long heritage :cool:

by a few others: a phat ass car that looks good with chrome wheels! ;) :icon17:

davidv 12-24-2005 02:59 AM

I’ve met quite a few 350Z drivers, and the owners personalities vary as much as drivers of other vehicles. The perception of others concerning 350Z drivers is also going to vary from one extreme to the other.

One trait about the 350Z that I would point out is that its not much good for anything except fun:

Only 2 seats.
Little room for hauling stuff.
Snow renderers it useless.

So 350Z drivers own the car for the pure pleasure of driving. Others might perceive that as frivolous, selfish or cocky.

JunJTan 12-24-2005 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by zpak
Was just curious...

What is your perception of how Z drivers/owners are perceived?

I've been visiting the other forums, and every once in a while, they'll have a "Z v.s. _____" thread (much like we do here), but they'll actually generalize traits and qualities to us as a whole, and it's usually very negative (the most popular: "cocky").

Not that the opinions of others matter that much (so, please, no "Who cares what other people think?!?" responses, because I agree...who cares?); I'm just wondering how we, as a community, view ourselves. :confused:

other forums have most negative threads about Z, because:
Z looks aggressive and get popular very quick, so other owners get jealous and few Z owners are cocky, i have to admit this. and some of us like to bash other cars alot from some of those "Z v.s ..." threads on this board.

350Z007 12-24-2005 05:01 AM

People from other sites are going to bash the Z, because they get beaten by the Z. People hate what they fear. :D

Fletch69z 12-24-2005 06:58 AM

On my own car club's forum I get made fun of (jokingly, except for a few *******s) that I bought it to compensate for something, :D. Usually by people with SRT4's and such.

Zivman 12-24-2005 07:07 AM

I think cocky is a good way to generalize Z drivers.

My impression being an owner is that, just like almost any car owner, about 2/3 of us think our cars are much faster than they really are. the remaining 1/3 of us are very aware of the car's capabilities.

Fletch69z 12-24-2005 07:11 AM

I'm aware that my car is slow, :D. I wish it was faster and it will be someday, haha.

aonic 12-24-2005 07:42 AM

I just bought the car for the looks, the performance was a surprise.

I dont think my car is the fastest car on the streets, but I know its got enough power for fun.

HarvesterUT 12-24-2005 08:12 AM

i think Z drivers fall into 2 main categories: those that buy the Z b/c they happened to be at a Nissan dealership, and those that truly enjoy driving pleasure and the heritage of the Z.

i dont know where this "cocky" view of Z drivers comes from, but I have an idea. You have to realize that most of these threads involve late night street racers or "local car meets". well the quality of people you meet there is sub par to say the least. If you get your idea of all Z drivers from street racers and local car meets you're getting your info from the wrong place.

most of the Z owners that i have chatted with and had dinner with are very nice people who genuinely love their cars. in fact i think Z owners love ALL sports cars more so that many other car owners.

D350Z10 12-24-2005 08:16 AM

StRaIgHt Up BALLAS, haha thats what I think and get all the time!!!!!!!!

ZRAYGO 12-24-2005 08:18 AM

if you want to see some serious head talkers, go to srtforums.com. those guys think thier srt's are freaking lambo's. they think that there is no possible way that a z can get with an srt4. Its actually very funny. For example...

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...&page=12&pp=15

kokicubano 12-24-2005 08:19 AM

I purchased my Z simply to have fun and bring me back to the days when I had my first Z. It was a 280z and I had lots of fun then and continue to now.

LamborghiniLove 12-24-2005 08:40 AM

"i think Z drivers fall into 2 main categories: those that buy the Z b/c they happened to be at a Nissan dealership, and those that truly enjoy driving pleasure and the heritage of the Z."

I so agree with that, luckily the one guy I know that's a Z driver falls under the car obsessive (what I call it) and the enjoy driving pleasure.

NeoRacer_106 12-24-2005 08:54 AM

huh try BMW, talk about cocky & arrogant..

Ztalker 12-24-2005 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by NeoRacer_106
huh try BMW, talk about cocky & arrogant..

a stock Z is no match for the M3 in terms of exceleration....but for 30k$ less most Z drivers don't mind being half a second slower i guess. :D

JoneZZZ 12-24-2005 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by LamborghiniLove
"i think Z drivers fall into 2 main categories: those that buy the Z b/c they happened to be at a Nissan dealership, and those that truly enjoy driving pleasure and the heritage of the Z."

I so agree with that, luckily the one guy I know that's a Z driver falls under the car obsessive (what I call it) and the enjoy driving pleasure.

I would agree here.....The people I have met fall into these two categories.....borderline clueless or like me, obzezzed.. :icon39:

Raving fans if you will...........

da_cheif 12-24-2005 11:22 AM

the z is an overpriced piece of crap....lmao.. but...........i sold my 94sl600 to buy it after i dam near got the hook on a s2000....my 03 z is the first car i ever owned that i wanted to wax and wash so much...simply because i hated driving it dirty.......and im 66 years old.....and cant wait for summer again.......its black with borla and chromed g35 sc wheels.......its my baby that is so much fun to drive....only problems......clutch went at 10k miles and the power window only works whent it wants to....lol....but the dealer promised to fix it .....as for my background.......held an NHRA et record with my 68 cobra jet for 2 years in 71 72......what i really like about my z besides its great looks....is the ease at which it gets to 100 mph cruising on the freeway......and the looks i get from the kids in their little tuner cars......the new proto imho looks great from behind but thats all.....now if they would just put a v8 in in the z......sigh

35oZephyR 12-24-2005 02:00 PM

Alot of Z owners, ESPECIALLY on enthusiast forums are pretty down to earth and genuine good guys who love most cars....but...

I'm not going to lie ....

On the streets, I think Z owners are the biggest lot of narcissistic folks I've ever met. Specially when you mix the average joe into the bunch who's sitting on his imaginary high-horse.

It's not because the car is blistering fast or excessively expensive. It just gives off that attitude with the way the car sits, the way the engine purrs, it just struts down the road like a street-wraith. It is hard for some people to come off not having an attitude when they drive this car. Most of us simply don't give a fug who's a little faster.

It's like wearing sunglasses indoors...it's hard not to look cocky even though it could just be your style.

JunJTan 12-24-2005 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR

It's not because the car is blistering fast or excessively expensive. It just gives off that attitude with the way the car sits, the way the engine purrs, it just struts down the road like a street-wraith. It is hard for some people to come off not having an attitude when they drive this car. Most of us simply don't give a fug who's a little faster.

It's like wearing sunglasses indoors...it's hard not to look cocky even though it could just be your style.

+1