MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Front bracket plate cover (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/310-front-bracket-plate-cover.html)

archduke 05-18-2002 07:06 PM

Front bracket plate cover

It looks to me that there is universal agreement that the front bracket is UGLY! It also appears that we may have some problems not getting the dealers to not install them. So, how would you feel about a cover for the front bracket like on the Corvette? Ours would be 350Z or Zcar or something appropriate.
:eek:

dvlad 05-19-2002 12:19 AM

Re: Front bracket plate cover

I would be up for that. Maybe a my350Z.com Charter Member plate. But i'm holding in my "former nicatine stained fingers"(a little rush Limbaugh quote:) ) the "Dealer Pre-Release Form". It clearly states not to put on front bracket. I told him i might be moving to a state where a front plate is not needed.

Any ideas on how i should handle the dealer if it is installed? Because i have this feeling that he will.:mad:

gmoneyr1 05-19-2002 02:07 AM

Re: Front bracket plate cover

Originally posted by archduke
It looks to me that there is universal agreement that the front bracket is UGLY! It also appears that we may have some problems not getting the dealers to not install them. So, how would you feel about a cover for the front bracket like on the Corvette? Ours would be 350Z or Zcar or something appropriate.
:eek:

Here in Texas we are required to have plates on the front and back of our vehicles. I just don't want it on my Z. I don't have plates on the front of my SC400 but I've been pulled over twice for it. I think they'll just have to keep pulling me over because I'm going to request that those brackets not be installed on my 350Z.

:mad:

dvlad 05-19-2002 09:44 PM

Originally posted by VQracer
blah! just take the bracket off and leave the holes. It's not THAT noticable unless you stare at it. If it bothers you that much then put bondo on it.
why would you want to put bondo on a 36,000+ car:confused: :confused:

Especially on the front. It would look ugly. Just paint the screws the color of the car.

AudioPat 05-19-2002 11:21 PM

Is it true that the front plate bracket attaches under the bumper? If so, can you install it upside down so that the plate would fall in the grill area instead of over the bumper itself?

Pat

westpak 05-20-2002 02:14 AM

Tha't one of the reasons I like living in Florida, no requirement for a front plate, sometimes you don't even get the hardware when you buy a new car.

Zmeflyby 05-20-2002 03:09 AM

Originally posted by westpak
Tha't one of the reasons I like living in Florida, no requirement for a front plate, sometimes you don't even get the hardware when you buy a new car.
same here in alabama.. but i hate livin here.

dvlad 05-20-2002 04:18 AM

Originally posted by AudioPat
Is it true that the front plate bracket attaches under the bumper? If so, can you install it upside down so that the plate would fall in the grill area instead of over the bumper itself?

Pat

go to the main page of the website and check out the pictures of the bracket. It attaches directly to the face of the bumper

dvlad 05-20-2002 04:20 AM

Originally posted by VQracer
how would you notice the bondo if you painted it? :rolleyes:
IMO that seems like a lot of money spent on the bracket when you can ask the dealer not to install it.

MP350Z 05-20-2002 05:40 AM

I live in Texas, and it is true that the law here states that you should have a front plate displayed, but I have gone 5 years now with 2 different cars with no front plate and have never been hassled. I asked a police officer about it once and he said that the cop would need to be looking for a reason to pull you over or give you a ticket to even bring it up. He said that if you are cool with them, then they won't really do anything, if you are being an ass or giving them attitude, then you just wrote your own ticket. I am generally a pretty courteous driver, and when I have been pulled over, I am always cool with the cop, so I havent had any problems. Of coarse, luck has probabely played a role as well. BTW, my buyers order and order form for the car specifically state that there should be no front license plate bracket or any kind of dealer logos or emblems attached to my car. Hope they actually do what they agreed on.

z350z 05-20-2002 09:37 PM

I don't think the dealer should give you a problem about not mounting the front plate bracket. When I bought my SLK230 new in 2000, the dealer did not install the front plate bracket even though I made no special request. Even after I got a ticket for no front plate and aked the dealer about mounting it, the service rep seemed to think that was a terrible thing to do to the car, because you have to drill holes in the front. After my second ticket, I did install the bracket.

I'll try my luck again with the CHP and not put a front plate on my 350Z to start with. (Usually you get pulled over for speeding and they give you a break but issue a "fix-up" ticket for the plate. I don't think they will pull you over just for the missing plate, unless maybe on a very slow day. :) )

BILZ Z 05-21-2002 01:08 AM

In Ohio where a front plate is required, I told the dealer that I would refuse delivery of the car if it had a plate bracket attached. I told him today that he is to contact Nissan production to prohibit the mounting of the plate at the port. My fear is that if it comes to the dealership already mounted, they can't undo the damage.

archduke 05-21-2002 01:22 AM

front bracket mounted by dealer

The person named Zisme answered this question on Zcar. He said the bracket kit comes in the hatch and is attached by the dealer. He also said that there are two barely visible marks that indicate where the brackets need to be attached to the bumper.
Hope this helps.
Rich:D

AudioPat 05-21-2002 01:49 AM

Got some good news for a change. Talked to the Nissan Factory rep at my dealer. He will not install the front plate bracket on my car and after looking at a pic of the bracket and hearing all the bad vibe about it, he's thinking of contacting those that pre ordered to ask if they want it installed or not. That's customer service!
Even better news..the car is slated for delivery 1st week of September!
Pat

gmoneyr1 05-22-2002 03:15 AM

I spoke with my dealer today and he told me that they will not install the brakets on my car but they are waiting to hear from individuals on a case by case basis. I guess if you don't call to let them know not to install it you're going to get holes drilled in your bumper here in TX. I told them that they should call and ask everyone if they'd like to opt out on that install but they are a bit lazy here (so it seems). :rolleyes:

Pooh2002 05-22-2002 05:51 AM

I conducted a survey on my way to work this morning and saw at least 10 cars driving on the freeway without front license plates. All of the ones I counted were registered in California and so technically breaking the law running without a front plate. I recommend leaving off the front bracket until you get a warning from your local law.

I ran my new 3.2TL for 6 months with no problem - somehow the Acura came without the holder and so the dealer had to order one. Took 6 months before it came in and I had it installed.

gmoneyr1 05-22-2002 07:39 AM

I've done the same thing around here. There are lots of cars that don't have the front plates here also. I've had my current car for 3 1/2 years (without front plates) and I've only been pulled over for it one time. I didn't get a ticket and still didn't install the front bracket/plates. I think I'm going to take my chances with the new Z. They may just have to give me a ticket or two before I drill holes my car. :mad:

brackethead 05-22-2002 09:54 AM

Re: Re: Front bracket plate cover

Originally posted by dvlad
Any ideas on how i should handle the dealer if it is installed? Because i have this feeling that he will.:mad:
I was wondering about that yesterday. You might want to bite the bullet and accept it. Check out my post from yesterday: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/338-stinky-business.html

brackethead 05-22-2002 10:03 AM

BTW, I'm seriously considering moving to Cincinnati. You probably know that's in Ohio, but if you don't know exactly where in OH, it's the extreme southwest corner. In fact, the Cincinnati metro area includes Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.

Why the geography lesson? Because it's 2 AM and I'm the only one here? No, I actually have a point! Indiana is one of those special states that don't require a front license plate. Smart people, those Indianans. :)

Support for this post provided by Mr. Traffic. http://mrtraffic.com/frontplate.htm

brackethead 05-22-2002 10:17 AM

"bracket" head

Hey, I just realized I'm almost obligated to be involved in this thread because of my screen name! When it comes to the front LP bracket on the 350Z, I'm 100% anti-brackethead.