Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Stinky business

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 10:58 AM
brackethead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stinky business

My dealer (I sound like a crack addict "Just one tit, man, come on!") was feeling really honest today. Just to be fair, I like this guy a lot, I trust him, and I'm not going to mention the dealership name. This is something his boss, the dealership VP, told him. He volunteered this information to me; I didn't bring it up.

For simplicity, I'm calling my salesman Tony (not his real name). He's the new car sales manager.

So I asked Tony whether they affix a placard to the rear with the dealership name, and if so whether they can leave it off. He said they have a different policy for every model, and he doesn't know yet for the 350Z.

Then he said several customers wrote in on their buyer's agreement that no placard should be applied. Tony said his boss is hoping these people say "if you won't leave off the placard then I'm not buying the 350Z from you." Tony's boss wants this to happen (or, to be fair, he wouldn't really mind it) because then they can sell their car for a higher price, the market price.

The amazing thing is that they sold Z8's at $150,000 ABOVE MSRP. (I think 150K sounds like bs, but that's what he said, $300K total price! In my area, it could happen.) And this dealership would not omit the placard from the Z8's on the chance a customer would walk and they could bump the price more.

I'm sure this isn't a surprise to anyone. But just to give a fair warning: don't make a stink about something minor like a placard (that can be removed without damage) or front license plate, because the dealer might not care if you walk. And then you'll have to wait who knows how long for a Z at *market* price!

Chew on that.

-Steve
Old 05-21-2002, 01:02 PM
pekkle
Charter Member #20

does anyone in the Seattle area know if Younker Nissan (Renton) puts decals on their cars?

Last edited by pekkle; 05-21-2002 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:27 PM
TCL

Good advice. Also a good indication of the integrity (or lack of) of the dealership. Hope nothing else comes along to spoil your deal.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:21 PM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

Is the dealer placards/decals/whatever a midwest, east coast thing? I always see these dealership advertisements stuck to the trunk or tailgate of cars/trucks from Texas, but have NEVER seen one on a California car. We get the dealership name on the cheap plastic license plate frame, but that's it.

I've always wondered about this. It's nice to know that I won't have to worry about having a big MOSSY plastered to the backend of my Z. Just the crappy license plate frame, which will be promptly removed and replaced.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 05-21-2002, 08:19 PM
dvlad

well, if i find that there is a front bracket on my car, one of two things will happen.

1) I'll ask my dealer to replace the bumper. Don't want the holes

2) I'll still purchase the vehicle, but write the nastiest letter to NNA, the dealership and anyone else who will listen

I'm hoping that my dealer will have the honesty not to install it. Because I'm not giving up my Z for anyone
Old 05-21-2002, 09:43 PM
brackethead

Default Re: You're right Dave

Originally posted by kraZy
That placard business doesn't happen in CA. Dealers in CA DO NOT put that stuff on the vehicle, ever.

How come? Is it a law in CA?
Old 05-21-2002, 10:12 PM
pekkle
Charter Member #20

Default Re: You're right Dave

Originally posted by kraZy
That placard business doesn't happen in CA. Dealers in CA DO NOT put that stuff on the vehicle, ever.

actually, i disagree, i do see some dealer decals up here in the bay area. but i do agree that it's more rare here than in other parts of the country. i've seen a lot of them in texas and some in new york as well.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:19 AM
blackSunshine
Charter Member #84

just yesterday I saw a nissan frontier in Santa Cruz with a little dealer sticker on the lower right rear of the rear (hatch?).
Old 06-03-2002, 10:10 AM
rouxeny

Oh God, here in the East Coast, it's basically a given. I rarely see a car without one. In fact, if I don't act soon, my Z is going to say "Jeep/Nissan" on the back. ACK!

If you think about it, it's as ridiculous as your Nike's saying Footlocker on them, or your Ralph Lauren shirt having Macy's engraved on it. It's all free advertising. Actually, I heard about a case where the owner threatened to sue for advertising fees if the dealer name was attached. He succeeded in his quest. I'm not sure if it's true, but makes a good story.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:14 AM
#15Blade

Maybe you could tell them they can put it on, but you will charge them $365 a year for the life of the car.... Hmm, might even be worth it, since I plan to keep it FOREVER!
Old 06-03-2002, 06:44 PM
2003z

Default its not a big deal

They peel right off, especially since it won't be on there for more than a day or 2.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:35 PM
irishfan

When I bought my 2000 Maxima, I told the dealer that I would be happy to display a sticker with his dealership name on it if he would make my January car payment for me for the next 4 years.

He declined.

For my Z, I have purchased my dealer's one and only allocated car, and he desperately wants to have it in his showroom for the first weekend. I have provided him with some suggestions as to how he could convince me to do so:

- Buy me one of each and every Z item in the marketplace - shirts, hats, models, duffel bag, etc...

- Free Aero package upgrade

- Pick up all of the lease end charges when I turn in my Maxima (he really wants my Maxima, but he is not the nearest dealer and it will be inconvenient for me to take it to him)

- Rope the car off so nobody sits in it and spills their @#*$#!!! in it
Old 06-04-2002, 07:29 AM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default Decals/placards

Originally posted by pekkle
does anyone in the Seattle area know if Younker Nissan (Renton) puts decals on their cars?
pekkle, I can't say that I have seen any cars around with them on it, but just for piece of mind, I would e-mail them, or your salesperson or fax a letter to put on your file for no decals/placards...I did this for my request for no front plate...my dealer wanted it in writing. My dealer in fife doesn't use decals /placards ..thank goodness. Any news when your car may arrive? I forget, when did you order it? It was sunny and 70 degrees in seattle today, I wish I had my Z
Old 06-04-2002, 09:12 AM
pekkle
Charter Member #20

marczzz, i called them my dealer up and he says they don't do that at younker. he also told me my car should be coming in august. hopefully it won't get there before i do.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:50 AM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default August delivery

Originally posted by pekkle
marczzz, i called them my dealer up and he says they don't do that at younker. he also told me my car should be coming in august. hopefully it won't get there before i do.
Talk about exciting...are you going to let them put on the license bracket? I sure hope you get here before your car does, I would really hate for my Z to sit around on some lot with all of the jackleg sales people/mechanics/other a$$holes touching or wanting to touch your car...frankly I don't trust anyone..I almost want to take the day off that it comes in. My fiance said I will probably rope it off whan I park it(he knows me well) My dealer said I would get about a 3 week lead time before my car comes in, hopefully plenty of time for you to tie up loose-ends and get your butt up here