Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What's your rev matching sequence with the Z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 PM
TheVengefulCo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbn85
can anyone comment on that?

so you never used rev matching for slow speed city driving? I find that I "have" to rev match on every single down shift now. For instance, if I'm going 20-25mph in 3rd gear and approaching a stop sign, I USED to just slow down enough (around 3-5mph) and knock it in 2nd (without rev matching) to get going again. It felt fine. Now I'm trying to rev match that same exact situation - rev match before going into 2nd gear before approaching the stop sign. Is it really necessary?
1 out of ten times you rev match are going to perfect lol being only 100-200 rpm off is not bad and barely noticeable. either that or just blip the throttle a bit more or less.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:24 PM
TheVengefulCo

Originally Posted by RurouniMidnight
Threads like this make me giggle, there is no option 1 or 2 everything about rev matching happens simultaneously there's only one way.
i always giggle when i see a dumb$hit on the forum. theres are several ways to rev match. theres not only one way. double clutching involves using only the clutch and gas while heel toe requires the brake, clutch, and gas. you just dont know how to drive really, there 3 ways to rev match.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Strider619

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why double clutch? I see no reason for it driving a Z at this day and age on the street.

Standard and proper downshifting for me:
1.) Clutch in, downshift to desired gear simultaneously
2.) Blipping throttle to appropriate revs and releasing clutch simultaneously

When done properly, this method should provide a quick, smooth (it could also provide the feeling of power surge if revving high enough), and even satisfying feeling. This feeling should be intuitive if you've been driving stick for a while in my opinion.

I could definitely see heel and toe useful around the corners but other than that, I would consider other ways of downshifting less effective than the aforementioned techniques.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:25 PM
pbn85

Originally Posted by TheVengefulCo
1 out of ten times you rev match are going to perfect lol being only 100-200 rpm off is not bad and barely noticeable. either that or just blip the throttle a bit more or less.
Thanks for the feedback sir

Originally Posted by Strider619
why double clutch? I see no reason for it driving a Z at this day and age on the street.

Standard and proper downshifting for me:
1.) Clutch in, downshift to desired gear simultaneously
2.) Blipping throttle to appropriate revs and releasing clutch simultaneously

When done properly, this method should provide a quick, smooth (it could also provide the feeling of power surge if revving high enough), and even satisfying feeling. This feeling should be intuitive if you've been driving stick for a while in my opinion.

I could definitely see heel and toe useful around the corners but other than that, I would consider other ways of downshifting less effective than the aforementioned techniques.
That's pretty much the method i decided to stick to: clutch in, blip throttle immediately, down shift and then release clutch/give gas.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Some rev matching bosses in here...

Old 11-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Strider619

Originally Posted by KingBaby
Some rev matching bosses in here...

you should chime in and join the club
Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do it right, you shouldnt even feel it. just that simple.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:43 AM
pbn85

is it better to over rev or under rev? I know neither is ideal, I'm just having a hard time nailing it perfectly. Though I did get it down perfect twice (in 2 weeks haha). And do you guys rev match 3rd to 2nd when slowing down approaching a stop sign? When I get to 5mph or so I just pop it into 2nd and the car never lurches forward.

How many of you double clutch with the Z? I heard it's debatable with cars that have synchronized transmissions, but it is the ultimate way to be kind to your synchros too.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Nismo#1554

I found that double clutching was a good way to teach myself how to heel-toe. I had the double clutching down after a few hundred miles in my old 240sx. Proper heel-toe just came naturally from that. Now, I heel-toe every downshift whether I want to or not, it's just what my foot does.

Everything happens at the same time for me, clutch-shift-brake-blip, all one fluid movement.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:24 PM
pbn85

I've been having more success as of lately. I realized when I rev match without constantly looking at the rpms trying to blip it perfectly, my rev matches are pretty good. However, when I'm constantly looking at the rpms it throws me off for some reason.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:11 AM
niZmo83

I blip the gas as im shifting, never fails. I been drivin stick since i got my lisence (I HATE autos)12 years ago so its an extreme force of habit, i do it not even realizing it.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:58 PM
TheVengefulCo

Originally Posted by pbn85
is it better to over rev or under rev? I know neither is ideal, I'm just having a hard time nailing it perfectly. Though I did get it down perfect twice (in 2 weeks haha). And do you guys rev match 3rd to 2nd when slowing down approaching a stop sign? When I get to 5mph or so I just pop it into 2nd and the car never lurches forward.

How many of you double clutch with the Z? I heard it's debatable with cars that have synchronized transmissions, but it is the ultimate way to be kind to your synchros too.
UNDER REV. but not by much. If you over rev it will do a real bad jolt since the engine speed is faster than the tranny speed. If you under rev you will have the benefit of an engine brake and it will not give a nasty jolt. and no double clutching will not effect your synchros unless youre doing it sloppy or just suck at it and grind gears. The only time your synchros are in danger is when you grind the gears and slam shifts.

Last edited by TheVengefulCo; 12-04-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Shawz1102

Does it matter #1 or #2? It's all the same thing once the clutch is in. When it becomes 2nd nature, you'll be doing it so fast that sometimes you'll do #1 and sometimes you'll do #2...
Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 PM
05zee33

Rev matching is simple... I even find myself doing it in my moms 300zx and my dads little 4 cyl truck without thinking... its a habit and addicting if anything lol.. Say your in 3rd going around a turn or corner, put the clutch in, blip the throttle to where the rpms would be if you just down shifted normally, take your foot off the clutch quickly and your good... If you get it down solid then there will be no pull or jerk from engine braking and it will be smooth sailing from there. Takes practice just knowing where the rpms will be at what speed and such...
Old 01-10-2012, 08:03 AM
350zwaters

Get exhaust...it will help you hear what your doing more and feel alot more comfortable.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 PM
AARONHL

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you put a bottom hinge gas pedal on 2004 G/Z?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 PM
EvilCrayon

I'm fairly good with heel and toe when downshifting but switching to the 380RS pedal has made a night and day difference. Before the pedal was too far away and now it's in the perfect position. I had to actually adjust where my foot sits because the pedal sits so much closer. At higher corner entry speeds, it wasn't a problem to perfectly blip the throttle while maintaining steady braking force. However, at lower entry speeds, the stock gas pedal was too far away to really get the blip perfect as well as smooth braking. The 380RS pedal has the curve which sits perfectly under the heel so that I don't have to flip my right foot completely 90 degrees but just barely offset.

I don't think the sequence matters too much anymore, whatever feels more comfortable will result in more focus on steering and focusing on corner exit speed.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 AM
SLOPOS

I can't heel toe with my big feet, so I more of 'left side of foot, right side of foot' it. I just roll my ankle to blip the throttle. When I first got the car, I locked the rear end a couple of times which was exciting (scary), but now I just blip the throttle while changing the gear, and always get it right on.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Pikes 350

I got my Z about 7 months ago and i was a first time manual driver. My friend taught me the basics of how to drive stick and my dad taught me the rest. But i had a hard time with down shifting. At first i just put the clutch in, and downshift while the engine does all the work. Then i realized that can't be good for tranny so what i started to do was downshift and right before it was about to catch, give it some gas and then let it slow me down. does anyone have some advice on the proper way to downshift. Also i read up on bliping the throttle but im still a little confused about it.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 AM
EmpireDude
Vendor - Former Vendor

http://youtu.be/JcxHi6FlGLo

Quick Reply: What's your rev matching sequence with the Z?