MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   2003-2009 Nissan 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z-2/)
-   -   Those who track with traction control off... (https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/622006-those-who-track-with-traction-control-off.html)

Bak3rme 05-29-2019 01:10 PM

Those who track with traction control off...

I'm getting into motorsports. its addicting. HIGHLY addicting. My first time out i tried to take traction off and almost slammed into a wall. really shook me for the rest of the event (this was all last year). This year i'm headed into my 3rd event of the season and since the incident last year i've kept traction on.

Tracking with traction control on, i've noticed a many times my slip light will come on (thus cutting power to the wheels). I plan on keeping traction on for a while because i don't wanna slam into a wall but how do you guys track with traction off? its borderline scary coming down off cambered turn and then throttle out and then realizing you are in a spin.

how many events did u attend before u were comfortable enough with trac off?

bealljk 05-29-2019 01:45 PM

If it was me, I'd keep it on and learn from it. Let it be the gentle/friendly reminder that your car is out of balance.

If youre ever not sure and/or want a good laugh - jump on YouTube and search for dodge viper fails...and it'll be a good reminder of why traction control is important.

260DET 05-29-2019 01:46 PM

The 350Z track car I bought recently has both traction control and ABS deleted, it has been raced like that for several years. I haven't tracked it yet so am no authority on how it behaves but sometimes driver aids like traction control mask grip problems.

coletrickle74 05-29-2019 01:59 PM

What kind of tires do you have and what condition are they in?

dkmura 05-29-2019 02:50 PM

My Z33 SCCA racecar has no VDC or traction control. I've run over 60 race weekends at race tracks around the country, and never found VDC/TC to be a drawback except in heavy wet conditions. Then, it's difficult (along with everybody else on the track). Are you racing at NHRP or another NE racetrack?

Franknbeans 05-29-2019 05:02 PM

The only advice I can give you about this is do not take it off until you are completely comfortable with your driving skills.

I do have mine fully disabled (VDC / TC all off) for the track and I leave it on when I drive on the street.

MicVelo 05-29-2019 07:10 PM

My race cars had ZERO of any kind of traction aids (except brake bias and suspension - shocks, sway bar adjustment). No steenkin' traction control, no anti-lock brakes, nothing but bravado and a healthy dose of "Oh ****......." :icon17:

By the by, NOT poking fun at anyone at alI! I just find this both a sign of the times and, well, amusing the status of cars between "my days" and today.

Insofar as running without your TCS on, it was good advice above to leave it on until you're absolutely sure of yourself. Now, this DOES go against my "Training wheels? Are you kidding? Just get on and steer your bike into the direction of the fall!" ethos. But, on a bicycle, it's no big deal if you fall off a tiny bike. Not so great when you turtle any car. So leave it on for a while.

One of the most valuable tools you have is the middle pedal. If you haven't learned it yet, learn how to left foot brake - obviously not when you're turning in (by that time your heel toe downshifting should be well practiced and complete at that point) - but to settle the car and get some steering back into the front tires when coming out of ugly turns especially exiting an off camber and heading for the wall. This is pretty basic track stuff but takes a while to go counter to what you learned in Driver's Ed. I was fortunate to have been able to go to D/S only a couple years after learning how to drive so hadn't developed all the bad habits yet. Laff.....

But good luck and have fun!!

terrasmak 05-29-2019 09:15 PM

Never used it, but did leave it on a couple times on accident. Kinda cool, I could do within about 1.5 seconds of a fast lap with it turned on.

Franknbeans 05-30-2019 06:27 AM

Also, keep in mind the stock VDC off button only turns it off about 70%. It's not fully disabled.

When you are ready here is how to fully disable the VDC.

RobPhoboS 05-30-2019 06:54 AM

Get tuition.
And just turning TC off doesn't disable SC, you'll eat your rear pads.

bealljk 05-30-2019 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Franknbeans (Post 10993920)
Also, keep in mind the stock VDC off button only turns it off about 70%. It's not fully disabled.

When you are ready here is how to fully disable the VDC.

I think this varies by model but I believe when VDC is disabled (not to be confused with TC or SC) its 100% off - Frank - can you clarify and/or source where youre finding this?

tmdz 05-30-2019 12:18 PM

This is actually a really interesting article on tire wear and tire age:

https://www.thedrive.com/opinion/518...rs-fatal-crash

Say what you will about the accident and while there is no factual evidence referenced in this article its hard to ignore the 'common sense' reasoning.

iideadeyeii 05-31-2019 05:15 AM

"Those who track with traction control off..."

So, everyone?

Franknbeans 05-31-2019 05:49 AM

Yeah more less. I found that it was to invasive for my driving style. BUT and I'm guessing on this.. Most everyone here that said they turn it off or disable it at the track have years of track experience. That is the key, don't do what everyone else is doing, do what you are comfortable with.

dkmura 05-31-2019 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by bealljk (Post 10993928)
I think this varies by model but I believe when VDC is disabled (not to be confused with TC or SC) its 100% off - Frank - can you clarify and/or source where youre finding this?

Unfortunately, merely using the dash switch does not 100% turn off VDC. Unless VDC is totally pulled and disconnected, t will intercede later while driving.

Sorry to take this thread OT for TCS, but we haven't heard from the OP for awhile. Have we informed or confused you enough?

bealljk 05-31-2019 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 10993988)
Unfortunately, merely using the dash switch does not 100% turn off VDC

Thanks DK - I thought it did! Thanks for the lesson!

Franknbeans 05-31-2019 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by bealljk (Post 10993996)
Thanks DK - I thought it did! Thanks for the lesson!

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...ed-button.html

a lot of info in there.

Bak3rme 05-31-2019 12:42 PM

OP checking back in! sorry i don't frequent the forums daily like I used to.
The tires are 1 year old from date of being bought off TireRack. I'm sure tire rack doesn't sell near outdated tires so I'm gunna say they are fairly new. The tires are not R compound. They are Hankook Ventus V12s (extreme summer) with TW of 340.

I am going to keep TC on since i'm still new to this but like a member said above this post, TC will just be a friendly reminder that the car is unbalanced.

Also I do not have VDC button only the TC button

dkmura 05-31-2019 03:23 PM

I recall driving a friend's PPW enthusiast Z at an open track day almost 15 years ago. I drove it back when the only option was the infamous BS RE040s were still on the car. The Z was quick and I ended up sizing up and then passing a bunch of Porsche 911/944 and 968s during the session. I'm sure your Hankook V12s are better tires, so keep the TC on for now and keep checking those brakes- the early Z33s were easy to run them off.

03redlineZ 06-01-2019 02:52 AM

I NEVER use traction control... this sounds like either you're new to RWD or the car... the Z can be a little torquey feeling when you first track but the slight sliding out to me with a hint of oversteer is perfect.

I've also owned 350z and 370z for 17 years straight so I'm pretty used to the car. But for me it only took about 2 solid years to be able to do some crazy stuff with it.