Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Dynos - Injen CAIs and Stillen HFCs - Not Safe For HR Owners :-)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:34 PM
hiz-n-herz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynos - Injen CAIs and Stillen HFCs - Not Safe For HR Owners :-)

EDIT: Added Pics of the intakes

EDIT: Updated 11/30/08 with driving feedback

--------------------------------------------------

OK, I took it out and beat on it despite the rasp. I must say that 1st gear is just insane. It is really difficult to maintain traction at WOT in 1st and we are talking sticky 275 tires (Eagle F1 GS D3's) warmed up and on dry pavement.

Friggen sweet!

I tried about 4 WOT runs in 1st at various places, but kept getting wheelspin/wheelhop past 5kRPMs . I was lucky enough to find one road surface that could actually hold traction all the way to redline in 1st. What a blast! Before the HFCs and Intakes, I could detect the power increase level off at about 6kRPMs but I'd continue it in the current gear to 7kRPMs or so just to be in the power band when shifting into the next gear.

First gear felt so good, I went WOT through 2nd as well. Dam!!!! The power seems to build all the way to 7k RPMs and does not noticably let up or taper off at all. Plus, the engine feels very eagar to get there. Oh, and when topping out acceleration in 3rd on the highway, I can feel the rear tires lose a bit of traction over any bumps here and there. Very entertaining!

What a beast! I can't wait to quiet down the exhaust a little and get a dyno tune.

I am going to have to step up to some sticky PS2's in a 285 to hold this power. (IMO, PS2's have better straight-line grip than the Eagle F1 GS-D3) also, gas is down to 1/2 a tank. I think the full-tank was helping with traction before

Thanks Z-car Garage! This setup is HAWT! And thanks to A.H and Infinite for testing this combo out.

-----------------------------------------------

Original post:

Just got back from Z-Car Garage where they installed my Stillen HFC's and Injen CAI's.

Quite frankly I am shocked at the gains, as were the guys at z-car. I have not been able to take it out and beat on it because it started raining - it happens sometimes in Cali

The HFC's made crazy power and torque, but really detracts from beautiful sound of my Bassani. It's a little raspy right now.

I may take it back down next week and ask them to put it back on the lift to give it a look-over and make sure I don't have an exhaust leak.

Infinite (with the exact same mods as me) has ZERO rasp. How the he11 does that happen on one car, but not the next? A.H also has no rasp even with resonated test-pipes and exhaust. It's also loud as he11. Going from stock to the Bassani exhaust added about 3-4 dB of sound increase. I think the HFCs added another 10 dB on top of that!!!!! But I really don't mind loudness... if there's no rasp.

Anyway, I am very happy with the numbers. I am making 296.6 rwhp and 260 lb-ft of torque (SAE corrected) with a few bolt-ons and no tune! I actually got 10 HP on the top end from the Intakes, which was a complete surprise. I wish I could tell you how the intakes sound, but I can't hear them over the exhaust with the CAI's!

If I can take care of the rasp, then the next step is a tune. Technosquare is tempting, since A.H and infinite got some FAT gains but Z-car garage is getting their own ECU tuning software so I may go that route - nothing like having a local tuner to go to for support.

The black CAI's look really nice with the redline. The install looks great.

Also, Forbes did a really nice write-up on zcar blog: http://www.zcarblog.com/2008/11/26/p...o-figures.html I'll take more pics of the CAI's when it's daylight.

Here are the dynos - Combined onto one graph to show increases. Note that the scales for HP and torque on the left and right are different so the curves will not intersect at 5250 RPMs:

Curves are: Baseline (With Bassani) --> HFCs --> CAIs

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 12-04-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:45 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow those are great gains. I guess my fujitas will be up for sale soon.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Sergio8A

NICEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:43 PM
supergoji

now spend some coin on impul headers haha!

nice numbers!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:33 PM
baspence

dayum that's some happy dynos! gratz though
Old 11-26-2008, 09:46 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by baspence
dayum that's some happy dynos! gratz though
Their dyno is not that happy though... My baseline bone-stock run when I bought the car way back when was 262 HP.

Z-car garage uses the Nissan Consult computer to monitor the timing and coolant temps to keep the palying field level.

Regardless of whether you think it's happy or not, the relative gains are what's important here. In that respect, we gained 21hp and 16 lb-ft of torque on the same syno, same day - plus a whole lot of area under the curve.

And these numbers are SAE corrected. It's all legit... the real deal...
Old 11-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Smackin

Kick butt!!! Im getting HFC and intakes for Christmas (thanks to my wife lol)... Then I will be heading over to the Z Garage to have them installed. I hope I can make the same WHP you are. Congrats on the numbers

Last edited by Smackin; 11-26-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:04 PM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by Smackin
Kick butt!!! Im getting HFC and intakes for Christmas (thanks to my wife lol)... Then I will be heading over to the Z Garage to have them installed. I hope I can make the same WHP you are. Congrats on the numbers
Sweet! Which HFC's/intakes are you getting?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 PM
stevezcar

Nice numbers. I am also thinking about buying those HFC's.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Smackin

Stillen, same as you right? They only difference is, I have a Nismo exhaust.

Last edited by Smackin; 11-26-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:51 AM
A.H

I completly missed this thread lol. I know you were looking at the Stillen Intake but I think you're extremly happy with the Injen and you shoudl be caseu those gains(from your HFC as well) are awsome. Just get a tune and your set

It's about time someone did a before and after dyno on these intakes. Good Job and thx for the data
Old 11-27-2008, 06:07 AM
red350track

preciate the dyno posted bro, nice gains!
Old 11-27-2008, 06:46 AM
06MagneticZ

blah...its a Dynojet. Put it on a real heartbreaker dyno. My 06 put down 278whp and 266 tq with a few mods on one of these.

Nice gains though.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Forbes@ZCG
Sponsor
Z Car Garage

Many thanks go to hiz-n-herz for bringing his Z down yesterday. The car made awesome power on all of these runs. If you look at the run conditions at the bottom of the sheet you can see that the temps went up around 8 degrees between the first and third runs so there is certainly more power so be had.

As he was saying we can't wait to get our hands back on the car to continue the modifications and to give it an awesome tune. The rasp situation will also be addressed ASAP. It needs to have that beautiful VQ sound that we know and love.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Forbes

zcarblog.com

Here is a good shot of the two redline cars that we had in yesterday. The car in this thread is in the background. Enjoy!

Old 11-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Forbes@ZCG
Sponsor
Z Car Garage

Originally Posted by 06MagneticZ
blah...its a Dynojet. Put it on a real heartbreaker dyno. My 06 put down 278whp and 266 tq with a few mods on one of these.

Nice gains though.
I think you would be surprised at how conservative our dyno is. Some people who go to other places first get a reality check when they get to Z Car Garage. It's all about the run conditions too....
Old 11-27-2008, 06:57 AM
redline06

Originally Posted by 06MagneticZ

Nice gains though.

who cares what kind of dyno its on, using the same dyno for is the best way to see results.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:46 AM
hiz-n-herz

Originally Posted by supergoji
now spend some coin on impul headers haha!

nice numbers!
Mmmm... Headers! I'd like to , but it's now my wife's turn for mods. She wants headers for her 06 rev-up, so we'll do hers first. Then maybe I'll get some Stillen headers once they fix their fitment issues - which should be soon. A.H is putting the revised one on soon - if he hasn't already.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:53 PM
AFG

wow, very impressive gains!

you were right, this thread is dangerous. I will be picking up the injen duals ASAP!

congrats on the numbers!
Old 11-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Mamounas123

good gains bro but the intakes only made power on the top end. the injen are good and its good someone finally did a dyno to prove they gain horsepower but do you really think its wirth $500 for 10 whp from 6k to 7k in the rpm range?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:28 PM
KS0385

So you gained 13hp for the exhaust?

Quick Reply: Dynos - Injen CAIs and Stillen HFCs - Not Safe For HR Owners :-)