MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Audio & Video (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video-52/)
-   -   Installed: Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD w/pics (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/427059-installed-pioneer-avh-p3100dvd-w-pics.html)

dragonfire6 04-05-2009 07:52 AM

Installed: Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD w/pics

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up this unit from Amazon for $283.99 w/1 day shipping (local stores wanted $488:icon9:)

This is the 5.8 inch screen version of the 4100 but I decided on this unit because the face isn't motorized, a front USB input and price. The 3100 (and I believe the 4100 as well) do not come with any mounting hardware so the shop will have to create a custom one, order it from pioneer separately or if your handy, you can make your own like I did. Not the biggest problem in the world, but if you order the unit know that your install may be delayed for that reason. I also bought the metra kit since you are provided in the Pioneer box only with a flimsy surround :dunno:

What I love about the 3100:
-You can change the color of the buttons AND screen (independently) to match interior lighting. Something like 120 different colors!
-The USB in the front is awesome!
-You can upload one picture at a time from a CD or flash drive and use it as the background for the screen. Not the loading screen (since there is really no loading time) but the background behind your radio stations, mp3's, sat radio....
-The screen is very responsive and menu/source changes are very very fast.

What I do not love about the 3100:
-Bluetooth and iPod/iPhone connectivity are not built in, you have to buy adapters
-The clock on this unit is 24-hr only
-The parking brake bypass :icon22:

Bypass: I'll go into this a little more since I had a hard time finding info about this line in particular since they are new. This unit wants to really believe you are in park before it will let the video or picture slideshow play. I had read about hooking up a relay to the parking brake wire but after trying 2 different times with 2 different relays, I said screw it and did this....

Go to autozone or walmart and buy a toggle switch and some wire. Connect the parking brake wire to the switch and ground the other end. Flipping the switch twice will give you the "OK, you're actually stopped and you can now watch your movie" screen. It's a bit of a pain but what can you do...

For the price, color changing buttons and user backgrounds, the 3100 is a awesome unit! You will barely notice the 1.2 inch smaller screen

ajc99z 04-05-2009 08:36 AM

Stupid question, but what do you mean by "mounting hardware?" Are you referring to the necessary screws/washers etc? Or are you referring to the plastic kit that encases the head unit? Isn't the metra kit sufficient in this regard?

My 3100 comes tomorrow and i'm going to do the install myself. Yours looks great.

dragonfire6 04-05-2009 06:15 PM

the only thing you will use from the metra kit is the plastic surround that makes the unit and dash look like it came from the factory like that, getting rid of any gaps...

the mounting hardware i was referring to is the metal (sometimes plastic) frame that will house/support the unit in your dash. Pioneer makes you buy this separately which sucks but there are work arounds for it using mounting/back straps and basically creating your own frame.

it does comes with screws however there is nothing to screw the unit too haha

let me know if you have any other questions about the unit or install :thumbup:

on 2nd thought, my car had a aftermarket single din cd player in it and if you are going from the 350Z stock DD cd player, you should be able to use the frame from that... should be a piece of cake in that case

Kupalo 04-05-2009 06:22 PM

Looks pretty tight, I'm getting / installing the P4100 soon. :]

kyx4n 04-05-2009 06:28 PM

nice...

i was thinking about getting it too after seeing it on amazon..

so all you bought was the unit and the metra kit? did you get wire harnesses too?

dragonfire6 04-05-2009 09:37 PM

since there was already an aftermarket cd player in my car i didn't need to buy a wiring harness, otherwise it would've been necessary...

quakerroatmeal 04-05-2009 10:55 PM

Not really a fan of the volume and track buttons. Other then that looks good. Did you paint your stock shift knob gloss black?

ajc99z 04-06-2009 03:39 PM

Can you snap a picture of where you mounted your switch?

syk69 04-06-2009 05:53 PM

sweet man looks nice! same deck i'm going to buy. basically liked the front usb feature and the color combos to match the dash lights. did you get the hd radio adapter? thats the other feature i'll be using it for.

when you say 24 hr clock, does that mean for 1pm it says 13? that would suck if you cant change that

dragonfire6 04-07-2009 04:41 AM

24-hr clock is exactly what ur imagining and it cannot be changed and for that reason i have the clock display turned off... i have no idea why they did that, it was probably 1/2 as easy to just do a 12-hr clock haha

let me run outside and snap a pic of the button... it's where the seat heater buttons should be...

***Use a different grounding point from the radio's ground***

dragonfire6 04-07-2009 05:02 AM

pics...

2 Attachment(s)
that a infinity reference 1052w pushed by an older pioneer 800w mono amp... Sounds really good and personally i think anything more (2x 10's or 2x12's) would be for sure overkill in the Z...

button was easy to install and again, make sure you are using a different ground from the radio ground and test it to make sure it works before you put everything back together.

also, hold the mute button to exit demo mode

ajc99z, how's your install coming??

Edg_R 04-07-2009 06:54 AM

Looks very nice... I'm thinking of putting an amp, a sub, and amped door speakers in my Z too. The BOSE is not giving me what my ears are asking for.

syk69 04-07-2009 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by dragonfire6 (Post 7173755)
24-hr clock is exactly what ur imagining and it cannot be changed and for that reason i have the clock display turned off... i have no idea why they did that, it was probably 1/2 as easy to just do a 12-hr clock haha

let me run outside and snap a pic of the button... it's where the seat heater buttons should be...

***Use a different grounding point from the radio's ground***

very weird about the clock! did you get the HD radio tuner for it?

dragonfire6 04-07-2009 02:24 PM

no, i didnt get the HD tuner... i keep hearing about HD radio but never really find myself listening to the radio in the first place... the USB is awesome tho, just trying to figure out playing videos from it...

i may get the bluetooth adapter and definitely need the iphone cable:thumbup:

ajc99z 04-07-2009 02:53 PM

Soldering my wires tonight and hopefully getting it installed tomorrow. Thanks for the picture of the switch. You did an awesome job.

dragonfire6 04-07-2009 03:32 PM

thx for the compliments...

the switch didnt come with any recommended drill bit size so i just slowly dremeled it out until it was snug... i was thinking about putting it in the upper cubby but finally went with that spot....

where are you gonna mount your switch, aj??

ajc99z 04-07-2009 06:07 PM

I was just in the garage trying to figure that out. Thinking about the cubby to keep it concealed. Actually found the same switch as you at Wal Mart on sale for $2. Only switch i could find that didn't look like a fast n furious "NOS" toggle.

ajc99z 04-08-2009 06:39 PM

https://app.onlinephotofiler.com/ima...size_fa5b3.jpg

Here is my 3100.

$293 on Ebay
3% off on Ebates
8% off via Ebay
15% off via Paypal
= $217 + $27 for Metra mount and harness + $20 for wire, solder, switch, etc.

Can't beat it, in my opinion, for the price.

Switch works perfectly, thanks again dragonfire.

Swiffer 04-08-2009 07:44 PM

ajc, what are these deals that you speak of? :)

quiksilverx181 04-08-2009 11:52 PM

and what are these switches/relays you speak of? what do they look like, or what are they officially called? How do they work? I am interested in using one for my bypass if i am not able to get my bypass to work.