MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Audio & Video (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video-52/)
-   -   Bass Drop Out (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/429979-bass-drop-out.html)

snuffy11 11-30-2009 08:02 PM

Well, at least I don't feel all alone with my sub dropping out.. At first I didn't know what happend! I did have a similar problem with the driver side speakers losing volumn but, kind of fixed that on my own. The sub dropout is a real pain because you never know when it will happen or what is causing it. I have an '04 touring and music if very important to me when I am driving. You would think that Nissan and Bose would have come up with something better by now..
Thanks to the guy with the info about where the amp is located.. Might have to take a look in there and see if I can fix the problem on my own.

otomoton 12-07-2009 08:41 AM

The proper fix for this problem would likely be re-soldering or replacing the relay in the amp. The folded paper idea, while adequate, is more of a bandaid than a fix.

juanl1999 12-07-2009 09:14 AM

I agree with you otomoton that this is just a band aid fix, but it works and its free. I know at some point I'll probably have to replace the sub amp but for the time being the sub-woofer is working. I would love to replace the whole system but unfortunately I don't have the cash for it. So I'm stuck with the BOSE system, but at least the sub-woofer is kicking =)

ztrain 04-06-2010 04:09 AM

Excellent! As everyone else, this was driving me crazy! I used two washers in place of the paper, no more issues. No more tapping the plastic to get the Sub to come back on.

deftoneZ 04-06-2010 05:21 AM

Just tried this this morning and it works. Its so nice finally having a little bit of bass with my music again :thumbup:

Now if only the factory head unit would stop skipping like mad whenever the car is cold.

Fallenaddict 05-09-2010 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by juanl1999 (Post 7973887)
I agree with you otomoton that this is just a band aid fix, but it works and its free. I know at some point I'll probably have to replace the sub amp but for the time being the sub-woofer is working. I would love to replace the whole system but unfortunately I don't have the cash for it. So I'm stuck with the BOSE system, but at least the sub-woofer is kicking =)

I tried the paper deal... My Bose sub is still crackly and cuts in and out.. Then again, I was tuned to a radio station with bad signal... I haven't had the time yet to do a nice clear mp3 on my system. Do you think it's because of the station or the sub?

Fallenaddict 05-10-2010 08:36 AM

After about an hour of experimenting with different things this morning I realized what was wrong. The problem had nothing to do with my amp whatsoever.. The two wires that connect to my sub ,the ones that run into the piece of crap paper cone haha, weren't connected correctly. One wire was beginning to fall off the connector and making sparks whenever the sub would hit. I found this out by touching certain parts of the sub while playing music. Then the spark caught my eye and realized that was the only thing wrong. So if anyone else can't figure the problem out like I did, check the connectors and wires that run into the cone of the sub. Man I really wish I had the money to buy a new system. Bose did an absolutely horrible job on this system.

snuffy11 05-10-2010 06:38 PM

Of course I recently asked my dealer about the problem and they acted as if they didn't know it exists with Z owners that have the Bose system..

Fallenaddict 05-10-2010 06:47 PM

It's KIND OF ridiculous.. I thought Bose was supposed to be high quality? Oh well I guess... :icon14:

Liquidice944 05-29-2010 12:21 PM

Just did this. Applied paper to the box for pressure and it worked lol. Thanks man.

WhiteNoiz 06-10-2010 08:57 PM

I did the paper band-aid fix 8/20/2009 (found my post...#48)
It lasted almost a year. I am guessing the paper eventually became too thin with the constant pressure. I put took it out and put in a piece of metal. Basically a nut, its working again now.

dfresh713 06-23-2010 06:11 PM

Just did the paper fix to mine. It worked at first than cut out. I had to squeeze the metal amp together and it works now. Hopefully, its fine for a while.

Jimmy Mack 07-01-2010 09:54 PM

I originally posted the"band-aid fix and I agree with the members that said it's a temporary fix. After some experimentation I found a better "band-aid" was to cut the top of a Bic pen and hot glue it to the lid of the amp. Your thickness may vary depending on how much pressure you need. This is what I did after my post and to this day no dropping sub. The relay is poorly designed and a replacement is possible but not worth the hassell. I was going to offer to repair them for members but I honestly don't have the time. Good luck !!!!! see quote ( After listening(I make my living with my ears) the intermittent pop and subsequent dropping in my amp is because of the relay in side of the amp.If you open the amp you'll see a little white (or gray) box. It is the relay. I applied a little pressure to the top and the amp started working. This was done after checking every connection in the amp. I released the pressure and the sub quit working again.Not wanting to track down a replacement relay I simply cut a piece of solid plastic the diameter of an pencil and positioned it on the lid of the amp to keep pressure on the relay. This by no means is the best way to deal with what is clearly a bad design on Nissans part but it has worked for me for over a year with no dropping out.If I ever have to open it up again I'll post pics. Pretty easy fix. And thanks to who ever is correcting the word BASS!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy Mack 07-01-2010 09:56 PM

On more thing...... the paper method might work but amps create heat....... 1+1= fire!!!!!!!

Jimmy Mack 07-01-2010 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Charoy (Post 7804653)
Who ever came up with this has too much time on there hands but THANKS! Just tried it this morning and it worked. Used a pencil eraser to put pressure on relay. Problem has been bugging the S*^T out of my wife and I. THANKS again

I don't have much time but I hate things that don't work right !!!!! LOL !

young Jee(Z) 07-16-2010 09:37 AM

so whats the best material for this fix? plastic? metal? paper seems kind of sketchy considering the heat aspect...im going to do this tomorow to mine, been battling this problem for over a year! thanks for the help jimmy mack.

juanl1999 07-16-2010 09:47 AM

young Jee(Z),

I posted the pics after following Jimmy Macks instructions. For me I used a business card. I understand your concern about paper and heat but I haven't had a problem so far. Only thing is that if you use paper maybe after a year I had issues with the same problem because with all that vibration (I like to feel the bass when I drive) the paper started to move out of place. But now knowing how to fix it I just replaced the piece of paper in like 10 minutes. I've read other posts and they all sound about the same, some use an eraser tip, others use washers etc. But the most important thing is how much pressure you need to put on the relay. For some you just have to put your finger on it, for others you really need to push down hard on it. I would suggest you just open the sub amp and first see how much room there is (not much by the way) and then decide what material to use so first it fits snug and second it wont fall off over time. Hope this helps.

Juan L.

young Jee(Z) 07-16-2010 09:54 AM

thanks juan, the pics help a ton. ill knock this out tomorow.

juanl1999 07-16-2010 01:02 PM

No problem. It's really straight forward once you are doing it. Let me know if you have more questions.

Juan L.

juanl1999 07-21-2010 11:21 AM

ken brown

This is super late but there are pics posted on when I repaired my radio. Its under the name JUANL199. Shows a step by step approach.