MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Audio, Video & Electronics (DIY) (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video-and-electronics-diy-461/)
-   -   DIY: 06+ Base with Cruise Control using Uprev + OEM Parts (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-video-and-electronics-diy/548121-diy-06-base-with-cruise-control-using-uprev-oem-parts.html)

Don1376 05-11-2014 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by mwcarroll (Post 10347694)
Thanks for the replies. And yes, my engine is built for the higher revs :D.

Stock fuel cut was 7200 RPM, now my rev limiter is at 7500 RPM and fuel cut is set to 7600 RPM (so... no fuel cut).

N/A, dynoed at just over 291 rwhp.

Just curious what mods you have to dyno at over 291 rwhp on your '06 Z, I have the same year/engine, just the Enthusiast model with a few upgrades, (test pipes, y-pipe, 5Zigen exhaust, lighter flywheel, Uprev tune) and dyno at 254 whp on dynojet with 100,000 miles on car. Its really hard if not impossible to hit 290-300 whp on a Revup engine, NA of course, no matter how many bolt ons, unless you change the cams. Stock Revups dyno around 220 to 230 whp no mods. And there's no power gain what so ever above the stock redline with stock cams. I say this from 4 years of installing upgrades on various Z's, from simple bolt ones to FI, TT or SC and strapping the cars down on dyno and seeing the tunes done and the before and after results from each one.

Sorry for going off topic and not saying what you posted is wrong, just you have no mods listed in your garage and getting as close to 300 whp NA has been a goal of mine till I build my SC motor next spring.

icer5160 05-12-2014 04:42 PM

Hey Don,

I was just in Rancho Cordova this past weekend doing some 350Z picking. There's tons of Auto Recyclers out there. One of them specializes in 350Zs/G35s. Sac City Auto Parts has a lot of little hard to find bits (all used of course). They sell complete gauge clusters for $100.00. They just got a 2006 350Z in that I picked some things from. Unfortunately it was an automatic, but the OEM cruise switches were all there if you still needed these. If not, I would check these guys out from time to time, they are always getting new stock.

They also carry a lot of 300ZX parts and they ship nationwide.

Don1376 05-12-2014 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by icer5160 (Post 10388438)
Hey Don,

I was just in Rancho Cordova this past weekend doing some 350Z picking. There's tons of Auto Recyclers out there. One of them specializes in 350Zs/G35s. Sac City Auto Parts has a lot of little hard to find bits (all used of course). They sell complete gauge clusters for $100.00. They just got a 2006 350Z in that I picked some things from. Unfortunately it was an automatic, but the OEM cruise switches were all there if you still needed these. If not, I would check these guys out from time to time, they are always getting new stock.

They also carry a lot of 300ZX parts and they ship nationwide.

Thanks, I emailed them just to see if they did and the cost. I know if I hold out long enough though, I'll acquire the CC switches for next to nothing or trade at work. I repair, install upgrades and mods on different Z's every day. I've found them for $54.00 new plus shipping, but for as little as I use cruise control my self made switch box is working well. Although having them in steering wheel would make enabling my security map a little more convenient/faster.

ian99rt 05-21-2014 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by icer5160 (Post 10382664)
Gentlemen, in order to simplify this entire process, and prevent everyone interested in doing this from getting stuck shuffling through 13 pages:coffee: of this thread. I have created a complete DIY guide on installing OEM Cruise control to a 6MT Base 350Z. Note that this guide does not cover the cluster swap/install since it's a tedious process and you risk scratching the cluster housing(it's so easily damaged on 06+ Z33s, the paint is load of fecal matter!). But I am thinking about doing a separate guide on that in the future.

I put the file on tinyupload.com, the link is below:

:thumbup2:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...84681061546750
:thumbup2:

Please feel free to PM me any suggestions, comments, or updates for the guide and I will do my best to make the needed updates/changes.:D

-Icer signing off

I just brushed thru your guide. Looks good :thumbup:

R3belzBRN 06-07-2014 06:51 AM

Hey there.

Im wondering. Our 350z models in my country is very different from the models in the usa. There are no base, touring and etc. We just have one model, mine is the 5at, leather seats with brembo brakes but no cruise control. So in order for me to install cc, other than the cc switches, uprev (which i already have) and i only need the brake sensor, p right? Since mine is the 5at..

Thanks in advance

icer5160 06-11-2014 11:33 AM

Hi R3belz,

Since you have an automatic transmission, I'm not sure if this will work or not. I don't think anyone on these forums has tried it yet, you might be the first to do it.

1) Get your CC switches
2) Get your brake switch
3) Get the CC enabled ROM from Uprev and have it flashed/installed.

All 350Zs use an electronic throttle-body so in theory it should work, what I'm not sure about is if the automatic transmission requires some type of supporting sensor(probably not in my opinion). Just make sure you point out it's an automatic!
-Icer

borgem 07-24-2014 05:00 PM

I just added the switches and steering wheel button panels this week. Taking my '06 Base in to the tuner E30Cabrio recommended (Xact Dyno - Tempe, AZ) this weekend for the flash. I'll report back after that is all done; Tim had mentioned something about UpRev wanting to do something more like an "unlock" than a complete flash.

On the labor...(per icer5160's guide):
The pedal switches were very straight forward with the exception that there is a wiring harness where the plug on the clutch switch goes and its a bit awkward to get the harness plug in there.

The T-30 and center nut gave me the most issues on the steering wheel button panel install. Impact driver helped me wrap knock it out a little faster so I could get the hell out of my garage (garage in AZ hours after sundown...still probably 90+ degrees).

*update* flash is complete and cruise control is working as promised. I was told UpRev wanted an additional hour of tech support to perform and "unlock" vs. a full flash, so Tim @ Xact Dyno just did the same flash he did for E30Cabrio

The_Assassin 01-15-2015 03:06 AM

I have been trying to contact uprev for an entire week with no luck. Does anyone know which rom I need to enable cruise control?

ian99rt 01-15-2015 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by The_Assassin (Post 10530791)
I have been trying to contact uprev for an entire week with no luck. Does anyone know which rom I need to enable cruise control?

It depends on the base model Rom your starting from.

The_Assassin 01-15-2015 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ian99rt (Post 10530798)

I have a 2007 hr base. I tune on monday and still can't get in contact with them.

The_Assassin 01-15-2015 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by ian99rt (Post 10530798)

I have a 2007 hr base. I tune on monday and still can't get in contact with them :dunno:

Don1376 01-16-2015 06:40 AM

If you already have Uprev flashed on your ECU, you don't need a different rom. Just need to contact us to have CC enabled in your current rom. I believe there's a $100 charge to do it. I'm just the tech so not positive on cost for sure, not my department. Did you try 512-821-9848 ext.501? That's our sales guy and he can answer any other questions you may have.

06 and newer ECUs have support for CC and the wiring for the switches, just not enabled on cars that came without it.

e30cabrio 01-16-2015 06:45 AM

I was the first to do this, there was a specific rom that enabled it, posted in my original thread. It was not a "turn on cruise" button.

seymore4 01-16-2015 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by e30cabrio (Post 10531422)
I was the first to do this, there was a specific rom that enabled it, posted in my original thread. It was not a "turn on cruise" button.

There is no "one size fits all" rom to enable cruise control. It all depends on what YOUR specific ECU # is; sometimes there is another factory rom that already has cruise control enabled that is compatible with yours that you can simply reflash over your rom, if not you have to have Uprev's guys add the cruise control capability to your factory rom file and reflash it. There is a $100 charge for them to add it in.

Don1376 01-16-2015 06:50 AM

May of been a specific rom because that rom already had it enabled. My rom had no cruise control until our developers enabled it in my original Uprev flashed rom.

Don1376 01-16-2015 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by seymore4 (Post 10531424)
There is no "one size fits all" rom to enable cruise control. It all depends on what YOUR specific ECU # is; sometimes there is another factory rom that already has cruise control enabled that is compatible with yours that you can simply reflash over your rom, if not you have to have Uprev's guys add the cruise control capability to your factory rom file and reflash it. There is a $100 charge for them to add it in.

There may be another factory rom with it enabled that you could flash over your current rom but then you're going to have to have it re-tuned for the new rom.

e30cabrio 01-16-2015 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by seymore4 (Post 10531424)

Where did I say there was a "one size fits all" rom?

I said I & my tuner on my gamble buying & installing the parts, did it. He flashed several roms, until I had cruise.

By the way UPREV you are welcome for the free r&d I did figuring a new source of income for you.

Don1376 01-16-2015 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by e30cabrio (Post 10531517)
Where did I say there was a "one size fits all" rom?

I said I & my tuner on my gamble buying & installing the parts, did it. He flashed several roms, until I had cruise.

By the way UPREV you are welcome for the free r&d I did figuring a new source of income for you.

Lol, how did you do r&d for us with your tuner flashing roms till 1 worked? This is not how we enable CC. We can enable CC on any 06 and newer ECU on the same rom the ECU came with as long as you have a Uprev license. That's why there is a cost. We don't just find a rom that has CC enabled and hope it's compatible. CC can be enabled without it effecting the current Uprev tune on your rom.

You're actually lucky your ECU didn't get bricked flashing random roms on it.

e30cabrio 01-16-2015 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Don1376 (Post 10531530)
Lol, how did you do r&d for us with your tuner flashing roms till 1 worked? This is not how we enable CC. We can enable CC on any 06 and newer ECU on the same rom the ECU came with as long as you have a Uprev license. That's why there is a cost. We don't just find a rom that has CC enabled and hope it's compatible. CC can be enabled without it effecting the current Uprev tune on your rom.

You really are a piece of work. Look prior to my first thread on this, no one thought it was possible, in fact it was said to be impossible.

Now magically you claim you could always push the button & on top of it claim I might have bricked my unit?

Why were you not charging for this all along if it was always so easy?

Nice!

e30cabrio 01-16-2015 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning (Post 9616313)
Great write up Ian and good work E30cabrio, guys have been kicking this around for a while hoping it would work but never really dove into it. Ian let me know when you need to upgrade to a tuner version. In the meantime I can send you a ROM with antitheft and a 91 octane map as well. Also for you other guys I could probably get a low price together to help you convert none CC ROMs to Cruise enabled ROMs

Before Don says it was always possible.

Don1376 01-16-2015 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by e30cabrio (Post 10531544)
You really are a piece of work. Look prior to my first thread on this, no one thought it was possible, in fact it was said to be impossible.

Now magically you claim you could always push the button & on top of it claim I might have bricked my unit?

Why were you not charging for this all along if it was always so easy?

Nice!

I never said it's a push of a button nor did I say you might of bricked your ECU. It took our developers awhile to find how to enable CC on ECUs 06 and newer, not sure exactly when they figured out how. I know it's been over a year since they unlocked it on my ECU with factory version Uprev rom on my 06 Enthusiast model. And I said you were lucky, or maybe fortunate is a better word, that your ECU didn't get bricked. There's alot of different model ECUs in the same year model cars each with a different rom. Some maybe compatible with others and some aren't. I wasn't trying to offend you and please don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say. Was only trying to clarify that CC can be enabled in ECU's 06 and newer that didn't come with it enabled from the factory with it's same version rom as long as it's been Uprev unlocked. Thats why CC worked in your ECU with a compatible rom with CC enabled, the hardware and controls were already there in your ECU just not enabled originally on your model from factory. I'm happy it worked for you and meant no disrespect.

e30cabrio 01-16-2015 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Don1376 (Post 10531556)
I never said it's a push of a button nor did I say you might of bricked your ECU. It took our developers awhile to find how to enable CC on ECUs 06 and newer, not sure exactly when they figured out how. I know it's been over a year since they unlocked it on my ECU with factory version Uprev rom on my 06 Enthusiast model. And I said you were lucky, or maybe fortunate is a better word, that your ECU didn't get bricked. There's alot of different model ECUs in the same year model cars each with a different rom. Some maybe compatible with others and some aren't. I wasn't trying to offend you and please don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say. Was only trying to clarify that CC can be enabled in ECU's 06 and newer that didn't come with it enabled from the factory with it's same version rom as long as it's been Uprev unlocked. Thats why CC worked in your ECU with a compatible rom with CC enabled, the hardware and controls were already there in your ECU just not enabled originally on your model from factory. I'm happy it worked for you and meant no disrespect.

Happyforyou, I did it end of 2011.

Attachment 396519

Go home & get your shoe shine box.

e30cabrio 01-16-2015 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Don1376 (Post 10531530)

I see now how I misunderstood you NOT saying I might have bricked my unit.

Sorry?

Don1376 01-16-2015 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by e30cabrio (Post 10531560)
I see now how I misunderstood you NOT saying I might have bricked my unit.

Sorry?

I didn't say you might have bricked your unit, that's implying that your your unit was or is bricked possibly. I said you're lucky your unit didn't get bricked from flashing different roms. Obviously, it didn't get bricked because it still works. There's no unit that might be bricked but still working unless it was recovered by physically opening it and un-bricking it. It's either bricked or not, no maybe bricked and still working. I wasn't accusing you of bricking it or saying it was. Just that you were fortunate a brick didn't happen.

And I'm happy for you too, I didn't own my car till 2013 and unsure how long we have been able to enable CC. It wasn't till I tuned my car on our software and asked if there was a way to enable map switching on my car that I learned that we could even do it. I turn wrenches and install FI kits, I have nothing to do with the tuning or developing of the software although I'm starting to learn the tuning side of it. I apologize once again if I what I said came off wrong or offending. That is not how it was meant.

I was only trying to help The Assassin with getting in contact with Uprev and said it could be enabled in his rom. I never said there was a "turn on cruise button". Just that it is possible to be enabled on his current rom. I understand and give you credit for finding that a specific rom with it already enabled can do it. Was only saying that a rom that doesn't have it on stock can be edited to enable the feature in certain year models that came without it.

Syner 01-16-2015 11:12 AM

https://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-cont...opcorn_yes.gif

e30cabrio 01-16-2015 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Don1376 (Post 10531587)
I didn't say you might have bricked your unit, that's implying that your your unit was or is bricked possibly. I said you're lucky your unit didn't get bricked from flashing different roms. Obviously, it didn't get bricked because it still works. There's no unit that might be bricked but still working unless it was recovered by physically opening it and un-bricking it. It's either bricked or not, no maybe bricked and still working. I wasn't accusing you of bricking it or saying it was. Just that you were fortunate a brick didn't happen.

And I'm happy for you too, I didn't own my car till 2013 and unsure how long we have been able to enable CC. It wasn't till I tuned my car on our software and asked if there was a way to enable map switching on my car that I learned that we could even do it. I turn wrenches and install FI kits, I have nothing to do with the tuning or developing of the software although I'm starting to learn the tuning side of it. I apologize once again if I what I said came off wrong or offending. That is not how it was meant.

I was only trying to help The Assassin with getting in contact with Uprev and said it could be enabled in his rom. I never said there was a "turn on cruise button". Just that it is possible to be enabled on his current rom. I understand and give you credit for finding that a specific rom with it already enabled can do it. Was only saying that a rom that doesn't have it on stock can be edited to enable the feature in certain year models that came without it.

You understand saying you are lucky something did not happen is saying it could have happened.

The prime things I see here are you got involved 2+ years after the fact & you don't know what was happening prior.

Don1376 01-16-2015 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by e30cabrio (Post 10531618)
You understand saying you are lucky something did not happen is saying it could have happened.

The prime things I see here are you got involved 2+ years after the fact & you don't know what was happening prior.

Like I said, I was only trying to help someone get in contact with Uprev and said it could be enabled in his rom. I'm sorry for trying to help and will stay off this forum like the rest of Uprev does if I was out of place. I wasn't involving myself with nothing but saying it could be done. Didn't say we were the first to nor does it matter what was happening prior. I didn't say anything pertaining to prior or that Uprev enabling it was the only way. I don't understand why you came back at me after my first post. I give you credit and respect for helping the community of Z owners with a way to make them even happier with a great car. I'm sorry and done.

e30cabrio 01-16-2015 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Syner (Post 10531617)

D'sNuts 04-25-2015 07:16 PM

how do you secure the sensor that goes to the brake pedal. It obviously fits in but how do you secure it, is there a nut that I am not aware of? thanks

icer5160 04-28-2015 01:55 PM

The brake pedal sensor is the brown/black plastic one right?
This sensor needs to be twist locked. Push in and turn 90 degrees clockwise. If you flip a few pages back, you can find a link to a PDF DIY guide I made with step by step instructions.
-Icer

timeltel 04-29-2015 07:40 AM

From the information found in the early posts by e30cabrio & esp. for the specific info from ian99rt, my base '08 and this thread went to Dynosty three years ago. Left there tuned and with CC enabled.

To the best of my knowledge, Uprev rode in on their coattails 'bout half a year later. Nothing wrong with that (or an Uprev tech. confirming the availability of the reflash). Just a little late but thanks, guys.

Depravity 05-08-2015 03:16 PM

If anyone reading this is interested, I have a mint 07 steering wheel w/controls up for sale. This worked perfectly for cruise control when I followed the instructions in this thread. Ended up getting a steering wheel off a Nismo, so I have no need for this one anymore!

D'sNuts 05-11-2015 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by icer5160 (Post 10587082)
The brake pedal sensor is the brown/black plastic one right?
This sensor needs to be twist locked. Push in and turn 90 degrees clockwise. If you flip a few pages back, you can find a link to a PDF DIY guide I made with step by step instructions.
-Icer

Thank you!

Qlitv 03-26-2016 11:04 AM

So i got uprev tune last week and today i went to the shop after I installed switches and buttons to ask the tuner to switch ROM for one that has CC enable and he say that the car will need to be retuned (wich i would have to pay another $400) because he cant transfer the tune file from one ROM to the other.

Wich from what i read here it is possible or i misunderstand?

ian99rt 03-27-2016 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Qlitv (Post 10741058)
So i got uprev tune last week and today i went to the shop after I installed switches and buttons to ask the tuner to switch ROM for one that has CC enable and he say that the car will need to be retuned (wich i would have to pay another $400) because he cant transfer the tune file from one ROM to the other.

Between my the EV10A (Base model), EV12A (Cruise Control), and EV12C (Later Cruise Control) Roms there was no notable difference when using the Rom Editor.

There was nothing done between the EV10A and EV12A Roms, just simply flash the ECU with the CC enabled rom.

As far as I see it the tuner is looking to charge you $400 for doing nothing but copy and pasting the few maps he modified.

e30cabrio 03-27-2016 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Qlitv (Post 10741058)

Originally Posted by ian99rt (Post 10741289)
Between my the EV10A (Base model), EV12A (Cruise Control), and EV12C (Later Cruise Control) Roms there was no notable difference when using the Rom Editor.

There was nothing done between the EV10A and EV12A Roms, just simply flash the ECU with the CC enabled rom.

As far as I see it the tuner is looking to charge you $400 for doing nothing but copy and pasting the few maps he modified.

qft my tuner wrote the cc file over my tune. Also has a tune gone up? I paid 300 for my first tune and 150 for follow ups.

Qlitv 03-27-2016 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by e30cabrio (Post 10741298)
qft my tuner wrote the cc file over my tune. Also has a tune gone up? I paid 300 for my first tune and 150 for follow ups.

Did you lose that tune?

Where you from? Thats a good price!

Qlitv 03-27-2016 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ian99rt (Post 10741289)

Thats what im thinking, he kept saying that you couldn't copy the tuned file from one ROM to the other and that a tune from zero had to be made

e30cabrio 03-27-2016 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Qlitv (Post 10741300)
Did you lose that tune?

Where you from? Thats a good price!

I am in Phoenix. My guy is the one that figured this out.

ianeberle 06-13-2016 05:17 PM

I'm getting my car tuned by a professional UpRev tuner on Thursday this week. I have already ordered a cruise-enabled steering wheel, the clutch sensor, and the brake sensor from eBay. The steering wheel will arrive on Wednesday, which is great, but the two switches won't be here until Friday - after my tuning appointment.

Will cruise control work with just the steering wheel attached, or is it a full circuit that requires both switches to be installed also? I want my tuner to install a cruise-enabled ROM before he tunes my car, and it would be nice to be able to test whether or not cruise control actually works before I leave his shop. Otherwise we'll just have to install the cruise-enabled ROM and I'll install the two switches later, praying it just works when everything is properly installed.

ian99rt 06-15-2016 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ianeberle (Post 10772063)
I'm getting my car tuned by a professional UpRev tuner on Thursday this week. I have already ordered a cruise-enabled steering wheel, the clutch sensor, and the brake sensor from eBay. The steering wheel will arrive on Wednesday, which is great, but the two switches won't be here until Friday - after my tuning appointment.

Will cruise control work with just the steering wheel attached, or is it a full circuit that requires both switches to be installed also? I want my tuner to install a cruise-enabled ROM before he tunes my car, and it would be nice to be able to test whether or not cruise control actually works before I leave his shop. Otherwise we'll just have to install the cruise-enabled ROM and I'll install the two switches later, praying it just works when everything is properly installed.

There is no difference in the steering wheels, only the switch panels are blanked out on the non cruise models.

Without the switches your simply going to trust it will work (which it should if he knows his ROMs).

silver_350z 04-24-2017 11:17 AM

Ok guys, so I literally read all 15 pages lol. I know 2 days worth of reading and trying to do at the same time. So here is what I've done to this point- I have both brake and clutch switches installed. Have the steering wheel column installed. Have an upgraded version cluster w/tune installed. I should be good Right, WRONG! Now 2 things, cruise control still isn't working- won't let me set mileage or anything at all. Now second, I know the cluster works because it was tested on another z w/cruise control. The cruise led light won't light up on my car when plug in but TCS and SLIP STAYS On. I know the solution on how to fix he TCS and slip but any suggestions with both my ISSUES. Can it be because the clutch and brake switch where plug wrong (I'm sure I did them right) or can it be the actual tune not being activated with the new rom! Any suggestions would be helpful. Help a Z brother out lol

icer5160 04-25-2017 11:11 AM

Hey Silver,

It sounds like a ROM issue. If you tested the cluster and confirmed it works on another Z, yet the "Cruise" backlight doesn't light up when you hit the switch on the steering wheel in your Z, then these functions have not been properly enabled on your ECU.

Note I'm talking specifically about turning the "Cruise" listening function on and off, not setting/locking in the cruising speed.

Having the pedal switches properly installed is very important though, as I believe these complete the cruise circuitry. Similar to the door lock system, if you have one unplugged, it could break the whole system. But I would argue this should only be true when locking in a cruising speed/setting, not turning on the listening function, still I have not verified this through tests.

If you have the option to do so, I would test your pedal switches on another Z that is cruise enabled just to rule out those as the cause. But my money is on the ROM being the culprit.
Good Luck!
-Icer

silver_350z 04-25-2017 01:14 PM

Hey icer516,

Thank you again for replying and answering my questions. I will double check again with both my brake and clutch switch and maybe try it out on another 350z w/cruise. Got everything apart might as well test them out before I take it back to my Tuner. Thank you again and I'll keep everybody inform.for future Z owner