Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Chiptorque Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Jacko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chiptorque Dyno results

This is the dyno results after chiptorque upgraded my system with a Xede ECU.. it increased from 139kw to 151kw, this was a combination of the new exhaust system and the Xede plus a cold air intake..
Attached Thumbnails Chiptorque Dyno results-lastscan.jpg  
Old 12-14-2003, 07:42 PM
ZZZ-35

Thanks for the post, those number seem a bit low. My base line (Std No Mods) was 145.6rwkw and after the cat back exhaust install it went to 162 somethink. I would have hope around 10 -12rwkw from the Xede mod only.

David
Old 12-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Jacko

David
As I have been finding each dyno seems to be different... I am quietly frustrated over what is said and what I am realy getting.. I would love to spend about 2 weeks or more with someone who can realy give me the skinny on the effects altitude and air density has on dyno's..
Old 12-14-2003, 09:28 PM
DavidM

Dynos are only good for showing you the 'gains' from one mod to another. They are useless at comparing results between different dynos. I've heard of one car being dynoed at 2 different places with about 50% variance in the resuts ... the curve looked the same, but the actual numbers do not mean much on their own.

Hey Jacko,
It looks like your baseline run shows that your car had the maximum power at around 5,500rpm. I wonder if that is indicative of all (stock) Zeds? My subjective 'feeling' of the power delivery felt very much like your dyno plot shows. ie. Like the max power is reached around 5,000rpm, with no extra power after that.

Last edited by DavidM; 12-15-2003 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:05 PM
apsilon

The gains are lower than I would've expected. I was under the impression the Chiptorque thing gave 10rwkw on it's own. Wasn't that the claim?
Old 12-14-2003, 10:11 PM
Jacko

Thats the results I got, But mine was the first one they tested, they may have tweeked it a bit more since then, I will have to give them a ring and check on what has changed. I like the Xede because I can plug My own Laptop in and up load any changes, that may be required.

Also the temp in the bay when we were dynoing was 39C..
Old 12-14-2003, 10:43 PM
ZZZ-35

Jacko

As DavidM@home mentioned the dyno is a tuning tool but your results were not what I excepted, I would have expected around 20kw difference with both mods, exhaust and ECU tunning. The 39 degree's could acount for the low numbers but I also noticed the run's were done in 4th, its usually done in the gear with a ratio of 1:1 which in are case is 5th. Any way keep up the good work, it take pioneers like yourself to further the cause which is more power to the people with 350Z's, by the way it has been know for some exhaust mods to show a negtive result on the Zed so maybe a run with just one of the mods would be a good indicator.

David
Old 12-14-2003, 11:02 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the Xede had a *blank map* Anyway do you have a basline of your car with just the exhaust and the CAI ?. If not you can upload a blank map to the Xede and this will make the car run like there is no piggy back.

Just remember to backup the data before uploading the new map.

Here is a link to the blank map

LINK
Old 12-15-2003, 05:37 AM
zuff

hmmm... thats not much power at all! I'd expect that much from the exhaust alone.

How much did the Xede cost you?
Old 12-15-2003, 02:50 PM
DavidM

Interesting observation from the dyno above (and the one I've seen posted in the original hi-tech exhaust thread):
Standard 350Z:
- Peak power at 5,500rpm
- In the 5,000 - 6,000rpm the car delivers 97%+ of peak power.
ie. the power really peaks at 5,000rpm and then just stays flat
to 6,400rpm.

Chiptorque 350Z:
- Peak power at 5,900rpm

Hi-tech 350Z:
- Peak power at 6,200rpm

Why does not the 'standard' 350Z dyno plot do not match the shape of the curve in the Nissan literature? Also, whyt is the power peak not at 6,200rpm like Nissan claims? Though, it is possible that the little 'hump' at 6,000+rpm could 'sometimes' be the higghest peak and hence the claim would be correct ... still, the curve looks nothing like listed in the Nissan's 350Z brochure.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:21 PM
zuff

I've never seen the official Nissan dyno graph. Where is it?

The above statement sounds about right though. My dyno has wheel speed and the stock car peaks out at 185km/h in 5th and the Hi-tech exhaust takes that to 205km/h (peak171rwkw).

How that translates into the rpm range.... errr... my head hurts. Better get another coffee.

Old 12-15-2003, 03:46 PM
daking350
Banned

When is this XEDE being released in the USA?
Old 12-15-2003, 04:56 PM
DavidM

I've never seen the official Nissan dyno graph. Where is it?

The 350Z brochure that you get from the dealer/s. It lists all the usual specs (like size, weight, distribution, power etc), but on one page where it talks about the engine, there is a power/torque curve ploted.

My dyno has wheel speed and the stock car peaks out at 185km/h in 5th and the Hi-tech exhaust takes that to 205km/h (peak171rwkw).

My understanding of your dyno is that you (or whoever was doing the testing) shot down the 'stoandard' run too early. Afterall, 185kph in 5th gear is only about 5,500rpm in the Zed (no matter what engine/exhaust mods you make). Not only that, but if you overlay your 'standard' run with the one Jacko posted (ie. above), then you'll notice that the curve is the same, but yours stops at 5,500rpm (or so).

On the othe hand, your hi-tech dyno run goes all the way to around 6,300rpm (or so).

I have taken the plot Jacko provided and merged it with your plot which has the 'standard' and hi-tech runs on it. This way I got the complete 'standard' run (ie. all the way to redline) and your hi-tech run. I'll send it to you, if you are interested ... it also has the revs as the horizontal scale instead of speed (just PM me or post your e-mail here).

Re: working out the relation between gears and speed. It's pretty simple once you know the gearing of the car. If you know what gear you're in and what revs you're doing, then you can work out the speed. Or vice versa (ie. work out the revs from gear and revs). Here are the speeds that the 350Z will reach in each gearf (ie. at 6,600rpm):
- 1st gear = 61kph
- 2nd gear = 99kph
- 3rd gear = 142kph
- 4th gear = 181kph
- 5th gear = 230kph
- 6th gear = 297kph (not that it will reach that speed).

Last edited by DavidM; 12-15-2003 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Jacko

David
This is the original Dyno done here in Alice Before the modes - I was going to get another one after comming back from the Gold coast by My loving son nearly totaled the car it won't be back on the road until March...
Attached Thumbnails Chiptorque Dyno results-origzs-dyno.jpg  
Old 12-15-2003, 06:08 PM
zuff

Yeh...that'll be great. Email me a copy to zuff@ozforces.com.au !

BTW the baseline dyno was shutdown as it was not going to go any higher, it was in 5th gear though. The whole idea was to get the peak power which we did.

I can see how it would have been of advantage to let it go all the way regardless. At least we would see how well the Hi-tech picks up at the top of the rev range.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:08 PM
DavidM

This is the original Dyno done here in Alice Before the modes - I was going to get another one after comming back from the Gold coast by My loving son nearly totaled the car it won't be back on the road until March...

Thanks Jacko. Though, I'm a bit confused now ... what is the green plot on the very 1st dyno here? It does not look like the 139kW that you mention in the 1st post. Is this not a dyno of the 350Z that is stock?

Also, I'm a bit confused as the green plot seems to agree match Zuff's 'incomplete' stock dyno plot of pre-exhaust.

The 2nd (141kW) run does not look much like the green (139kW) plot ... can you clear this up for me?

Yeh...that'll be great. Email me a copy...

e-mail on the way.

Last edited by DavidM; 12-16-2003 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Jacko

The second plot was a run I had done just after I got the Z, I was wondering what it would show(just run in), The first plot gives you the two runs, one before the exhaust etc and one after.
After talking with chiptorque they think the diff is due to two things

1. The DYNO setups
2. The way I have driven the car since the first run ( The ECU has addapted itself to a race type mode, I did take here on the Alice Springs AIRSTRIP and do some DRAG racing as well as running her up to 220kph everday on my way to work, (remeber unlimited speed limit).
Old 12-16-2003, 01:36 AM
KY350

220km/hr everyday. Man your Z must be sucking down the juice!
Old 12-16-2003, 02:16 AM
Jacko

yeah, but you got to love it....
Old 12-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comparing dyno sheets & trying to make comparisons is pointless
To the best of my knowlage the dyno opperater makes no allowance for gearing.
Worst case example: An early Mini Cooper gets strapped on the dyno & a run is pulled. Next 1 on is V8 Commadore & its run is recorded. Graphs will be printed .
The Mini has 10" wheels & the Commadore 19" now how can the Dyno no what is the true speed is unless someone makes some accurate calculations.
Whenever my car has been on the dyno I have never seen the opperator hook up a rev counter or look at my wheel size.
At the Nissan dyno day at Croyden,s earlier in the year they just put them on one after the other.
I have no problem with the accuracy of the trace line, it,s the figures printed at the side & bottom that I have a problem with.

Quick Reply: Chiptorque Dyno results