MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   Pulsing Vibration at higher speeds (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/420875-pulsing-vibration-at-higher-speeds.html)

Candymaker 03-05-2009 10:35 AM

Pulsing Vibration at higher speeds

I'm getting a strange vibration from my right front I believe. It is first evident at 40+mph, and is exagerated when I take a left-turning curve, which is why I believe it to be the right front. I cannot feel the vibration in the wheel very much, but I can quite well in the floorboards and the pedals. My setup is completely stock. Any insight would be much appreciated.

I did a search - found this, but it sounds like the OP was getting this rub at low speeds and I do not.
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ning-left.html

ReV2Red 03-05-2009 12:39 PM

I had a similar problem. I was getting a resonating sound that i could only start to hear above 60 mph. When i turned right it disappeared but when i turned left it got worse. I ended up changing the front hubs and the noise disappeared.
I think you might have the same problem.

terrasmak 03-05-2009 12:52 PM

Same here , and same thoughts about the hub and bearing. But in my case, its the tires.

davidmcc 03-05-2009 12:59 PM

first thing I'd do is take the wheel/tire to a shop to check that it's properly balanced, it's possible one of the weights just came off. This would also give you a good opportunity to check all the steering components for play while you have it in the air to take the wheel off.

Since you say there isn't any vibration in the steering wheel you may want to check the rear wheel as well.

I'm not saying that's definitely whats wrong but it's a good place to start. Plus I'd want to rule this out before assuming something more serious like a faulty hub was the problem.

got556 03-05-2009 01:44 PM

+1 to the hub/bearing. Also make sure all your bolts/nuts are properly tightened and everything checks out okay. I used to get this sound/vibration above a certain speed in my '69 Mustang. A u-joint was going out in the rear. So while it's probably the bearing, just check everything else over real well.

Zian 03-05-2009 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by davidmcc (Post 7036842)
first thing I'd do is take the wheel/tire to a shop to check that it's properly balanced, it's possible one of the weights just came off. This would also give you a good opportunity to check all the steering components for play while you have it in the air to take the wheel off.

Since you say there isn't any vibration in the steering wheel you may want to check the rear wheel as well.

Especially given that its only at certain, higher speeds, sounds a LOT like a balance issue to me. Get it checked out. Should be cheap if not free.

Candymaker 03-06-2009 05:38 AM

I have checked the lugs - I have my winter tires on currently - Blizzaks on a set of rims from an '03 Z. I did just have them mounted last fall, so the balance thing sounds quite possible. I hope to get in within the week to get this resolved.

Candymaker 03-08-2009 12:30 PM

I went out and took a look at my wheels. I'm missing any and all balancing weights on the left rear wheel. It seems like it is the wrong side to affect this vibration but I'm gonna get this checked out for sure.

tally350z 03-11-2009 04:45 PM

any updates? As I am having the same issue..

Candymaker 03-13-2009 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by tally350z (Post 7062483)
any updates? As I am having the same issue..

Sorry - I was out of town this whole week. I hope to get my wheels re-balanced this weekend. I'll let you know monday.

Candymaker 03-20-2009 06:58 AM

:icon22:They found nothing. Drove it a bunch and even put it up in the air to look around underneath. Tech claims he felt nothing. Of course I felt it again this morning then on the way to work. Hopefully it is just a wheel weight issue. I'll find that out tomorrow - time to swap back to summer rubber.

sbZenth 03-20-2009 07:00 AM

i have the exact same issue. when i turn left its horrible when i turn right it stops

sbZenth 03-20-2009 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by ReV2Red (Post 7036735)
I had a similar problem. I was getting a resonating sound that i could only start to hear above 60 mph. When i turned right it disappeared but when i turned left it got worse. I ended up changing the front hubs and the noise disappeared.

how much did it cost you to have this done?

LeMans 05 03-20-2009 07:05 AM

Same exact f'ing problem. Subscribing. My guess is hub.

sbZenth 03-20-2009 07:12 AM

i didnt know that this problem was this common.

Candymaker 03-23-2009 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ReV2Red (Post 7036735)

Originally Posted by sbZenth (Post 7099785)
how much did it cost you to have this done?

+1 on this.

Also, I put on the summer tires - totally different set of rims/wheels/tpms. Still vibrates exactly the same way at speed and in gentle-moderate left hand curves.

On the other hand - a good wash, clay bar, polish and wax - my baby looks good! :thumbup:

CircleHeartX 03-23-2009 01:21 PM

I have vibration in front will driving to???? i think i gotta change brakes there starting to sqeek.

sbZenth 03-23-2009 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by CircleHeartX (Post 7111474)
I have vibration in front will driving to???? i think i gotta change brakes there starting to sqeek.

wut?

We like grammar and correct spelling here on my350z.
lol

SlowCoupe 03-23-2009 03:32 PM

jack up the front ans spin the wheel. compare both sides. then determine which one is the bad one by noise/feel when spinning the wheel.

CircleHeartX 03-23-2009 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by SlowCoupe (Post 7112052)
jack up the front ans spin the wheel. compare both sides. then determine which one is the bad one by noise/feel when spinning the wheel.

good idea..:thumbup: