MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   Rear toe keeps going out of alignment (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/470343-rear-toe-keeps-going-out-of-alignment.html)

dave3529 01-06-2010 12:39 PM

Rear toe keeps going out of alignment

Hey guys, I have had a 2003 and now have a 2005 350z, stock suspention right now accept for hotckiss sways and gf210s springs. On both cars ever since I installed the tanabe gf210s if I hit any pothole, even a small when it always messes the rear toe up and I have to get the car realigned. Before the springs it was fine its only after lowering the cars. And the tanabee gf210 are softer in the rear then the 417lbs 2005 rear springs, so my question is why does this happen? does anyone else have this problem?

warmmilk 01-06-2010 02:46 PM

looks like you have the spc camber kit according to your sig, thats the problem right there. i have the same kit.

the problem is that the toe bolt they provide with the 10.9 stamped on it isn't really a 10.9 grade bolt. on my 3rd realignment within one week (at speedware, they build real race cars, so they know what they're doing), the toe bolt snapped as the tech was removing it. the reason it kept slipping is cause the bolt kept stretching.

the fix was getting a real 10.9 grade bolt, speedware milled the shape to match the spc toe bolt and put that in. the tech also sanded the washer on the toe bolt and the mating surface on the subframe with a low grit sand paper to provide a bit more friction. haven't had a problem since, its been about 3 or 4 months.

GeauxLadyZ 01-07-2010 07:31 AM

^ Damn.

Heard of the SPC kit having problems but 10.9 stamped on a bolt thats not 10.9??

Wow.

dave3529 01-07-2010 08:23 AM

actually my signature is wrong, that was my last z's sig. sorry better change it. I am using the stock toe bolts. all the suspension is stock other then the springs and sways. could it be the springs being to soft? or just being lowered?

GeauxLadyZ 01-07-2010 08:39 AM

If you have GF210's, you might need a rear camber/toe kit again to get toe into spec.

Were they able to get the toe back into proper spec range the last time? Did you actually see the printout after you got your alignment?

dave3529 01-07-2010 12:14 PM

no the camber was maxed out

JasonZ-YA 01-07-2010 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by warmmilk (Post 8040028)
looks like you have the spc camber kit according to your sig, thats the problem right there. i have the same kit.

the problem is that the toe bolt they provide with the 10.9 stamped on it isn't really a 10.9 grade bolt. on my 3rd realignment within one week (at speedware, they build real race cars, so they know what they're doing), the toe bolt snapped as the tech was removing it. the reason it kept slipping is cause the bolt kept stretching.

the fix was getting a real 10.9 grade bolt, speedware milled the shape to match the spc toe bolt and put that in. the tech also sanded the washer on the toe bolt and the mating surface on the subframe with a low grit sand paper to provide a bit more friction. haven't had a problem since, its been about 3 or 4 months.

Those definitely good improvements.....I opted to eliminate the crappy toe bolt altogether...see the bolt looses bearing area because the way the bolt is milled.......

I track my car often and found the bolts to slip/stretch after events....I knew this by making a mark across the washer and the AL subframe and after the event the marks were not lined up anymore....

So i made lockout washers and then i use adjustable arms - the arms have jam nuts so that solved that.

here is the only pic i have of some Lockoutwashers i made, the bolts i used were 10.9 for sure, pictured is the nut side though:
https://my350z.com/forum/7940030-post10452.html

Originally Posted by dave3529 (Post 8042584)

yeah dude, to begin with, i have worked with people that have the GF210's...in general you need to get a rear alignment kit.

-J

GeauxLadyZ 01-07-2010 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by dave3529 (Post 8042584)

Although this answered neither of my questions, it should tell you something about why your toe is not in spec.

warmmilk 01-07-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA (Post 8042630)
Those definitely good improvements.....I opted to eliminate the crappy toe bolt altogether...see the bolt looses bearing area because the way the bolt is milled.......

I track my car often and found the bolts to slip/stretch after events....I knew this by making a mark across the washer and the AL subframe and after the event the marks were not lined up anymore....

So i made lockout washers and then i use adjustable arms - the arms have jam nuts so that solved that.

here is the only pic i have of some Lockoutwashers i made, the bolts i used were 10.9 for sure, pictured is the nut side though:
https://my350z.com/forum/7940030-post10452.html

yeah dude, to begin with, i have worked with people that have the GF210's...in general you need to get a rear alignment kit.

-J

I'll have to do that if mine goes out of alignment again. but hopefully it doesn't come to that ...

dave3529 01-08-2010 07:18 AM

I thought about doing that but you can only do that on the camber arm, and thats not the one getting knocked lose. It the toe ajustment on the spring bucket that goes lose. so what do I do for that?

JasonZ-YA 01-08-2010 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by dave3529 (Post 8044764)
I thought about doing that but you can only do that on the camber arm, and thats not the one getting knocked lose. It the toe ajustment on the spring bucket that goes lose. so what do I do for that?

uummm no.......both locations(i mentioned that).......battleversion and others do sell adjustable arms that replace the oem spring bucket arm - location......

-J

dave3529 01-08-2010 12:43 PM

but dont you have to have coilovers?

drivessidewayz 01-09-2010 10:07 PM

Nah man, it has nothing at all to do with your actual suspension components. And besides, a coilover kit is *basically* just spring and strut sets that were packaged by the manufacturer to work well together. If you lower the car a lot by any means you'll need correction kits, whether it be toe or camber or both.

JasonZ-YA 01-10-2010 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by dave3529 (Post 8045717)
but dont you have to have coilovers?

Dave, yes, if your asking me in regards to having lock out washers at each location, yes you would need coilovers as a lock out washer at the toe location and replacement of the spring bucket means you need to be running a true coilover in the rear..

-J