MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   Front Upper Adjustable Control Arm (Suggestion) (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/627593-front-upper-adjustable-control-arm-suggestion.html)

wcharon 03-28-2023 03:02 AM

Front Upper Adjustable Control Arm (Suggestion)

Hi to the Community...

I had to replace the Lower Control Arms and Tie Rods on my 350Z 2004 with OEM parts. Took it to Alignment and the Technician said i need new Upper Adjustable Control Arms in order to get the specs he wanted with the alignment.

Checked Z1 Motorsports and found several brands (Z1, Cusco and SPC) and will like your opinion which one to go with. My car is not lowered an i don't track. The car have 20" Wheels installed if that make any difference.

At the moment i am inclined in the Z1 Brand as i see that the Ball Joints parts are rebuildable and they sell in separate and can be exchanged if they get bad. Anyone with experience with these one or should i take another route?

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...0d28954d8533ce

Thanks in advance.

Heel Til I Die 03-28-2023 05:59 AM

I've got Z1. They do the job. They're kind of a pain to adjust since you have to unmount them in order to spin and adjust them, but if your shop is willing to do it, then you're good. SPC, Cusco, and Kinetix don't require that to get them into spec and a little easier to adjust.

jhc 03-28-2023 09:38 AM

Agreed, Z1s are a PITA to adjust, but mine have held up over 30K miles.
Btw your car will be much more spry if you went back to 18s, just saying 😉.

wcharon 03-28-2023 09:59 AM

@Heel Til I Die Thanks for your input and sharing your experience.

@jhc Thanks. Yes i know a lot of people hate the 20" in the 350Z. I really love the way they fill the fender gap. To be honest i put those 4 months since i bought the car new. It is the first repair i do to the car so i am very satisfied with it. Still love it more than my Mustang GT 2019 PP1. I am a OEM guy but in this case have to go aftermarket. The car only have 75,000 miles only.

Here is a pic for reference.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....bc2d7b4a1f.jpg

GreyZ 03-28-2023 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by wcharon (Post 11100876)
@Heel Til I Die Thanks for your input and sharing your experience.

@jhc Thanks. Yes i know a lot of people hate the 20" in the 350Z. I really love the way they fill the fender gap. To be honest i put those 4 months since i bought the car new. It is the first repair i do to the car so i am very satisfied with it. Still love it more than my Mustang GT 2019 PP1. I am a OEM guy but in this case have to go aftermarket. The car only have 75,000 miles only.

Here is a pic for reference.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....bc2d7b4a1f.jpg

Holy **** :icon16:

jhc 03-28-2023 12:30 PM

Nice looking paint and tint, not a fan of your 20s, but hey, it's your car, enjoy!

wcharon 03-28-2023 12:33 PM

Thanks. I understand. That paint is original OEM Sunset Orange.

Still in love since i got the car new.

MicVelo 03-28-2023 02:15 PM

Late to the party but....

SPC FUCAs. They were originally recommended to me by Rob Fuller of Z Car Garage. I trusted his judgement and haven't looked back. Honestly haven't "needed" an alignment since I dropped it and the SPCs were installed but I've had it checked and/or re-done a number of times. My alignment shop thanks me for having the SPCs due to the adjustment ease and capabilities (as mentioned by Heel, above.).

Probably not as strong/robust as the SPLs but they were about a third of the cost (but higher than the cheap stuff - which aren't terrible).

wcharon 03-29-2023 04:06 AM

I talked to Z1 Support and they stated that if the car is still with OEM parts to stick with the Z1. If the suspension have aftermarket parts and it is lowered go with the SPC.

I ordered the Z1 based on that so i will update as soon as i receive them. Here is a pic of the alignment specs that the car have now.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z....dbfb4010c7.jpg

travlee 03-29-2023 04:40 AM

wheels look like something a deep dish pizza would be made in

wcharon 03-29-2023 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by travlee (Post 11100979)
wheels look like something a deep dish pizza would be made in

jajajajajjajaj. Yours should be a 2024 model with that invention on your head. Jajajajajajajjaj.

travlee 03-29-2023 05:32 AM

nah, if i liked the c8, i would have one

tuzzio 03-29-2023 05:42 AM

I opted to go for the SPC 73000 for my Z. I don't like the idea of moving the ball joint location, and these offer caster adjustment, as well as replacement parts. Its a win / win / win to me. I can get you set up with a pair, if needed PM me.

wcharon 03-29-2023 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by tuzzio (Post 11100983)
I opted to go for the SPC 73000 for my Z. I don't like the idea of moving the ball joint location, and these offer caster adjustment, as well as replacement parts. Its a win / win / win to me. I can get you set up with a pair, if needed PM me.

@tuzzio Thanks.. I already ordered the Z1 but will PM you anyway.

wcharon 04-05-2023 05:31 AM

Hi...

Just to keep updated the Upper Adjustable Z1 Motorsport Camber Arms where installed yesterday by the shop.

The alignment and the car came out great but i am having some squeaky noise only when i hit a bump. The shop will revise on Tuesday the car again but i also wrote Z1 for some suggestions and waiting for reply.

Have anybody have this same situation with the Z1 Motorsport Arms that can enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

Heel Til I Die 04-05-2023 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by wcharon (Post 11101693)
Hi...

Just to keep updated the Upper Adjustable Z1 Motorsport Camber Arms where installed yesterday by the shop.

The alignment and the car came out great but i am having some squeaky noise only when i hit a bump. The shop will revise on Tuesday the car again but i also wrote Z1 for some suggestions and waiting for reply.

Have anybody have this same situation with the Z1 Motorsport Arms that can enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

I had that issue. I greased the bushings using a grease gun with the zerk fittings. No more noise!

wcharon 04-05-2023 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die (Post 11101695)
I had that issue. I greased the bushings using a grease gun with the zerk fittings. No more noise!

Perfect. That are Good News... Do you have to grease it regular or is a one time shot?

Heel Til I Die 04-05-2023 07:48 AM

I did it once with some Sta-Lube Moly-Graph lithium grease which is a blend of molybdenum and graphite since I had some left over from packing some wheel bearings in a truck. No issues since only doing it once several years ago. Ideally, I should have used a silicone-based (PTFE) lubricant on the polyurethane bushings, but the lithium has held up just fine.

wcharon 04-05-2023 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die (Post 11101712)
I did it once with some Sta-Lube Moly-Graph lithium grease which is a blend of molybdenum and graphite since I had some left over from packing some wheel bearings in a truck. No issues since only doing it once several years ago. Ideally, I should have used a silicone-based (PTFE) lubricant on the polyurethane bushings, but the lithium has held up just fine.

Perfect. Thanks for t@Heel Til I Die ...

jhc 04-05-2023 12:42 PM

They'll also sqeak if over-torqued.