Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension ReViEw: Zeal Super Function X CUSTOM RATES+pics (long read)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:31 PM
daytona350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension ReViEw: Zeal Super Function X CUSTOM RATES+pics (long read)

hey guys,
i posted a thread a while ago about getting my custom spec zeals and i said i would post a complete review after i had a track day. well, time has come and i have put about 2k total miles on this setup.

my current setup:
Zeal Function X coilovers with 16kg f and 14kg r rates (independent rear coilover)
(currently set to medium all around ~15 clicks)
Cusco Sway Bars front and rear
AME 19x9 and 19x10 245/35f 255/40r Bridgestone S-03's (soon try 275/30r)
Battleversion Camber Arms in the rear
Battleversion Alignment
Cusco RS 2-way 100% Lockup

Street:
First impresion on these coilovers is that they were the quietest i have ever had. (i have had/driven hks hypermax, flex's, jic's, cusco's, zeal function v6's)
They are indeed stiff, but not utterly stiff enough to not daily drive the car. You will notice it compared to stock suspension, but i feel that it rides better than the jic's and flex's i have driven. Freeway expansion joints are fun, kinda lifts your a$$ off the seat, but noting crazy.

Zeal's valving is its forte. because i cant think of another setup that can be this comfortable around town and super awsome at the track (keep reading for track impressions).

ride is comfortable/firm, not kidney punding but much more firm than stock. around town you wont really notice as long as you arent in a construction zone with all those metal plates on the ground. but overall very comfortable for the rates i chose.

i recently took a trip to palm desert, ~130mi one way, 260 round trip, and it was fine and my gf didnt complain until we did hit those construction zones with unlevel gravel and torn up asphalt.

dips arent too bad-but they suck anyways for lower cars.

Truck lanes kinda suck, but they sucked with the stock suspension and i think it isnt much worse with the zeals, you just feel a lil more with it though compared to stock. on-ramps and off ramps are fun as hell now and i think my limiting factor are my tires now and no longer my suspension like stock.

Track impressions:
This is where the fun begins

The body lean that was once there was now completely gone. I mean, the car was flat, almost go-kart like flat (i drove/raced karts for years).

at drift day, transitions were buttery smooth and it handled the bumps and track dips with ease. Zeal really knows how to valve their coilovers and i must applaude them for that. i can still feel the wee bit of weight transfer, but the roll is gone as mentioned. there is no play really at all with the car and it feels like its glued down.

turn in is crisp and the rear feels planted-unless you induce a slide with a lil clutch kick or quick dab on the brakes.

corner exit is beautifully handles with the rear holding in place while you feed the power.

overall handling is very neutral and the driver, at least i, wasnt fighting the car the whole day. it was very comfortable and i was still fresh after a long track day-a good sign that im not fighting with understeer (like stock) or oversteer.

Overall Impression
Very good set of coilovers and i think i may have found a setup i am going to settle on. the only things i can/will add are new front control arms and the rear toe arms.
In terms of streetability and trackability this coilovers rates very high in my book. losing a little bit on street but gains a whole lot on the track. I'd probably suggest 11f/8r for non tracking setups or very mild track setups as to give better daily driveability (its really not bad tho); but i commute to school and work everyday and it doesnt bug me.

anyways, this thread would be worthless without the pics of course!
Box in my car:

Anything else they wanna say?

JDM newspaper:

front:

rear coilover:

both:

Im special

X-coil:

rear adjusters:

adjusters again:

zeal:

front vs stock:

front installed:

rear vs stock:

rear installed:

action (promise to get more)

thanks for reading thats all folks!
p.s. CLUB BOB FTW

Last edited by daytona350z; 04-16-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Tubbs

I was too lazy to put up a review myself, but I completely agree. I've used Zeal's for about 5 months now on some hard road trips, city driving and track days. The car handles much better without sacrificing day to day driving. I had my heart settled on a Lotus, but after the Zeals, Cusco/Battleversion arms and Cusco sways... I am 100 percent happy with the Z.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:11 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Nice write up. After trying EVERYTHING under the sun available on these cars (and alot that aren't available). I agree with you on the performance of the Cusco sway bars and your spring rate for the track are almost right on (We run 17k front and 14.5 K rear).
I feel this same way about my custom made / valved / sprung, Stance coilovers. I also like the weight differense between the steel coilovers and heavy convential springs and the all aluminum coilovers with lightweight Swift springs.

have fun.

SCOTT @ RELENTLESS AUTOSPORTS -- Still Building the fastest Daily Driven & Track Proven Z's, G's, FX's, EVO's, TC's, and more!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:36 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Nice coils. Too bad they get dirty

Nice review

Chris
Old 08-22-2007, 03:01 PM
DMK

So you got 14k in the rear on a independent setup? Wouldn't that be like 28k with the normal helper spring/shock setup?

Because Stance sells 12k/5k front and rear, which is full coilover. And they state that 5k rear is equivalent to 10k with the conventional rear style. Because the spring is now inline with the shock, its different.

Just wondering.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

nice writeup Bug-

you can't go wrong with Bruin colors.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:50 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by DMK
So you got 14k in the rear on a independent setup? Wouldn't that be like 28k with the normal helper spring/shock setup?

Because Stance sells 12k/5k front and rear, which is full coilover. And they state that 5k rear is equivalent to 10k with the conventional rear style. Because the spring is now inline with the shock, its different.

Just wondering.
nice catch. yes ,this is the rates we are using with the angle and wheel rates calculated as if we were using the OEM location.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:23 AM
Axelerate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DMK

Just wondering.
I was curious about this also.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 PM
kaoskrayola

Great writeup, makes me even happier when i buy my zeal coilovers.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:38 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by Chebosto
nice writeup Bug-

you can't go wrong with Bruin colors.
hehe, indeed maybe i can go to ucla for my masters or something

my lil bro on the other hand is gonna have fun there