MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Drag (https://my350z.com/forum/drag-306/)
-   -   can a stock z be faster than a stock z? (https://my350z.com/forum/drag/367879-can-a-stock-z-be-faster-than-a-stock-z.html)

Jay'Z 06-22-2008 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by davidv
Scan and post the time slip. Without a time slip we may as well be fishing for angels.

+2 :icon9:

411Z 06-22-2008 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Denum
Lol wtf... 240 miles and pushing it hard? I don't think thats a positive, will ruin your car. Break-in method in your manual states clearly how to break in and its not pushing your car but keeping it under 4,000~5,000 rpm/not driving for too long/different speeds/ect.

although it does say that in the manual, in fact these are what you would consider a factory performance engine. there is very minimal break in time on a performance motor, and it makes no difference at all if you let these cars break in 250 miles, or 2000 miles.

not that there is a right or wrong way to perform a break in on a performance car, but one is not really needed. the internals are better, and do not require a break in period. about 15 minutes at a consistent lower rpm is the method i use. i use it on my race cars and i used it on my Z.

3m wol8 06-22-2008 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by L. Baggins
And if you're really curious go again, this time let him drive your car and you drive his, see the results.

+1 cuz if he beats you in your car.. you know you're a worse driver than him... not saying you're a bad driver.. but it would definately state that it was a driver's race

j.arnaldo 06-22-2008 03:03 PM

...how 'bout an AT "Z" beating one with MT??? I read a post where a MT "Z" owner was frustrated, too, 'cause a buddy of his humiliated him with his auto
tranny "Z"!!!
____________________________________________________________ _____
'O4 Touring Coupe/AT--FLAWLESS!!!/13k!!!/$2O,5OO!!!/NO feathering!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoooper 06-22-2008 04:01 PM

someone beat in a stock MT by a stock AT is really just a terrible driver. what that is basically saying is that youre shifting slower than the AT, and quite a bit slower since its making up the power, gearing and shift time difference. just sad IMO

350ZTheStandard 06-22-2008 04:20 PM

maybe your just a super stud

:confused:

Jay'Z 06-22-2008 04:23 PM

Some stock z's come with more powa.... http://smiliesftw.com/x/robottx1.gif

costilla 06-22-2008 05:33 PM

wow, thanks guys for all the info. I feel better now knowing it could be all those varibles everybody mentioned. I do weigh 210 and he weighed about 150 and I was shifting at about 7k. I didn't mess with tire press or took off any weight. so thanks a lot guys. that's way I like this site! oh by the way, both m/t and both base models

Pat Bateman 06-22-2008 06:18 PM

https://my350z.com/forum/drag/233840-top-25-1-4-mile-times-for-tt-st-supercharger-nitrous-bolt-ons-stock.html

There's a list of 100% stock Z's with their respective times.

Alberto 06-22-2008 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by davidv
You lost to a better driver.

/ thread

anybody who is making excuses otherwise doesnt know any better.

kennedy 06-26-2008 08:53 PM

If you have stock tires it is a waste of time for you to mess with tire pressure.

g35sedan5at 06-26-2008 09:26 PM

why are you shifting at 7k??? the hr redline is at 7.5k for a reason, this motor does up top what the DE never could. use it.

kleefton 06-26-2008 10:38 PM

The only way to find out for sure if your car is slower than his is to switch the drivers. I don't know how close you are to him, cuz some people just don't like to let others drive their cars. If he beats you while driving your car you'll know he's a better driver than him. If you beat him while driving his car then you know your car is slower than his.

vetteownr85 07-01-2008 12:30 PM

All Engines are not created equal. A buddy of mine had an 02 SS Camaro Stock that for whatever reason was faster than modded SS's.

ke0ki2k 07-01-2008 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by costilla
ok, I have a friend with a 07 with just a custom exhaust running a 13.6 @102mph and I have a 08 with a stillen intake and topspeed exhaust running 14.2 @99mph. the thing is we both took off at the same time and when he went into 2nd he was gone. kept pulling and left me behind. his car is stock. I would of thought we would just be even because I also raced a new mustang that night and he beat me, but he never pulled on me, he just had a better takeoff. my friends 07 pulled. any ideas?

take off the stillen intakes, put the stockers back on, put K&N Drop in filters back in...the stock airbox/velocity stack are almost perfect, youd have to dump alotta money to find something better.

davidv 07-01-2008 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by g35sedan5at
why are you shifting at 7k??? the hr redline is at 7.5k for a reason, this motor does up top what the DE never could. use it.

Show us how here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233840

davidv 07-01-2008 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
take off the stillen intakes, put the stockers back on, put K&N Drop in filters back in...the stock airbox/velocity stack are almost perfect, youd have to dump alotta money to find something better.

How does that work for you? Post your time here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233840

rockinbboy 07-01-2008 01:34 PM

stock airboxes FTW!!

Plus don't shift so soon.

btw...you guys aren't stock. He has a custom exhaust and you got couple of other mods ;)

bboypuertoroc 07-01-2008 01:40 PM

First off, your friend is a better driver. Your trap speed and E.T. show you need to improve.

Aftermarket intakes on an HR are strictly for show/sound. They have proven to be worse performance-wise than the stock boxes with K+N replacement filters, or even just the stock boxes in general.

As far as break in periods... your car is broken in the first time it's warmed up. I pounded the ever living **** out of my Evo during my test drive (launched it 5 times, hit 150 twice, etc.) and after 34.5k miles I haven't had one issue, but instead I make more power than any other Evo I know with the same (or even more) mods. People here can vouch for this as well.

People will argue the whole break in thing to death though.

costilla 07-02-2008 10:06 AM

I would of thought placing a k&n cone plus the stillen box will be equal to the stock box plus a drop in like most of you guys are doing. wouldn't it be the same? That's why I bought the stillen, but maybe I can be wrong. Also shifting at 7.5, I thought it will not benefit me since the torque ends at 6500 I think. I know it didn't work on my focus until I put cams and a chip, then it was useful using the extra rpm plus some. I will try everything you guys suggested next time. Gears and a reflash will be next. It sounds like a lot of you guys benefit from it.