MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Dyno runs (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/12036-dyno-runs.html)

cabalisticfire 11-26-2002 11:49 AM

These guys claim to have gotten 272 HP at the wheels, the article is in french but the dyno is clear enough:

Linky link

Based on 272HP they calculated 318 at the crank which means they used 14.5% as their drivetrain loss value.

Selski12 11-26-2002 12:01 PM

Go to www.freetranslations.com if you want a rough idea of what they are talking about in english.

I dont know if it gives an accurate translation, but some of the sentences seem to make sense. :D

cabalisticfire 11-26-2002 12:05 PM

Yeah, I had actually already done it and posted it on 350zmotoring.com but I got lazy. Here's altavista's translation:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Introduction:
Here an exceptional sports car, Nissan 350 Z This pure sporting represents the quintessence of the sports car Japanese woman. Superbly racée, the 350 Z shows with all the car industry that a sports car can be very advanced from the technological point of view while remaining accessible. Offered in the versions Performance, Tourism and Impulse, its price varies between 45 000 and 51 000 $. Our model of test are the 350 Z Impulse and its value is 46 500$.

Interior Installation:
The 350Z is pure sporting. Thus, to support road stability it is very low. Obviously, when we took seat in the car, we were not astonished owing to the fact that that is a little hard. With regard to the seats, they offer an excellent support for the people of small size. However, it is another history for the large people. These last will deplore the lack of support for the legs and the narrowness of the file. This defect makes obviously so that the seats become uncomfortable at the time of the long distances. Even in sporting control, the head offices of Z do not achieve the work which one awaits oneself from a car of this type.

As regards the dashboard, its presentation is neat. However, its stylism is too sober although it respects with the letter the characteristics which one must find in true sporting. The large dials (which are adjusted thanks to a clinometer, i.e. the dials follow the movement of the wheel when you adjust it) are very well thought. They are placed at the good places and are easy to consult. However, when we threw a glance with the central console, it is another history. The plastic panels are difficult to open and once opened, it is easy to note that their quality is doubtful. Another negative point, the quality of the stereo chain is very debatable. Moreover, its position is too low and it is difficult to handle.

Concerning the back trunk, the forage ladder of the 350Z is immense. However, it is where the vastness stops, because the trunk offers hardly enough space to put some bags of grocer at it.

Road Test:
Acceleration: Nissan 350Z is propelled by a superb V6 engine of 3,5 liters. Very powerful, it develops 287 horses with 6200 tours/minute. Accelerations of Z are formidable. Imagine, the zéro-100 km/h was realized in 5,77 seconds. It should be said that the engine of six cylinders is coupled with a transmission with six brought closer ratios which are of an exemplary precision. However, we would have appreciated a little more softness. But, in term of performance, the 350Z is a true bomb.

Slalom: Nissan 350Z is provided with a direction with pinion and toothed rack assisted according to the engine speed. During the test of the pylons realized with 50 km/h (to imitate a sequence of avoidance of obstacles in urban circulation), the 350Z literally swallowed the cones. We had the impression to walk us normally so much it was easy to avoid them. The 350Z answers the least requests of the driver. That proves obviously that Z does not have only the temperament of sporting, but also the behavior.

Avoidance of obstacles: During the test of avoidance of obstacles, Z truly made fun of these operations. Although these last are extremely demanding for the brake and the suspension, Z is drawn high the hand. The direction of Nissan is fast and answers quickly. The brakes also are very well gauged. They are precise and react spontaneously at the requests of the driver. Put aside light understeering (which is completely normal besides since Z is a propulsion), the 350Z behaves in an exemplary way operates some urgently.

Braking: Nissan 350Z is provided with Brembo brakes 12,76 inches in diameter, whose front clamps are with four pistons. All this power enabled us to obtain an exceptional braking distance, that is to say 36,70 meters. The response between the foot and braking is instantaneous. Nissan 350Z is thus a genuine car of performance! [ Visualtech Data ]

Selski12 11-26-2002 12:33 PM

You forgot the bottom part:

Power with the engine announced by the manufacturer: 287
Real power with the engine according to our AUTOSTOP/Visualtech results: 318.2

Power with the wheels according to our résulats AUTOSTOP/Visualtech: 272

Nissan 350Z Pulsion is provided with an extremely effective engine. Its power with the engine, obtained thanks to the test bench Visualtech, is of 318,2 horses. They is thus 31 of more than that 287 horses announced by Nissan. With the wheels, that represents a power of 272 horses. Formidable!

sdpearso 11-26-2002 01:33 PM

If you're not happy with your car or it's performance, you could always sell it to someone who will appreciate it with a few less HP than spec'd.

??s on dynoing for those who know.
- How accurate are dyno's for this type of comparison?
- Don't the pulls have to be very controlled? (RPM range, etc...)
- Are there settings that have an impact that may not always be accurately set? (gear ratios)

I had my car dyno'd about two months ago. I had 7 pulls and had 7 results ranging from 231hp to 244hp.

The guy that was dynoing my car picked from a number of different gear ratios, did he pickthe right ones? He had never seen a 350z sow how would he know? Did he dyno in the correct gear?I noticed that the starting RPM seemed to have an impact on the results. If the throttle was mashed at 1800 rpm, the HP curve was lower than if mashed at 2000rpm or 2200rpm. Also I wonder how quickly "pressing" (maybe slightly gentler than mashing) the throttle would result opposed to "mashing"?

The point is...I'm not gonna complain about my car because it performs the way I want it to and I don't know thatit's putting out less hp than spec'd, especially after the dyno's.

Mike821 11-26-2002 05:31 PM

Originally posted by cabalisticfire
These guys claim to have gotten 272 HP at the wheels, the article is in french but the dyno is clear enough:

Linky link

Based on 272HP they calculated 318 at the crank which means they used 14.5% as their drivetrain loss value.

You guys gotta be kidding me... 318 :icon18:

Anyways, this is retarted. So many closed-minded individuals in one forum... That's right, Z is the fastest, the most powerful, the best looking, the best car in the world... And whoever disagrees with that should go right ahead and sell his - is that right sdpearso ?:rolleyes:

By the way, I said at the very beginning that the car was not broken in and it was in 4th gear so why keep bringing it up? And we also know that dynos vary and other things vary as well so why bring that up too?

Stillen guys dynoed the Z and got 230 - I trust they know what they're doing. And to the guy with the prowler I'm sorry, no offese (really) but don't compare an american auto-tragic transmission on a 20" rims to a Japanese car designed to perform!:icon8:

Bottom line is I do like the car and I'm not planning on selling it soon, but I'm just sharing information and opinions. If you want to argue - fine but facts are facts. Oh, and those frenchmen I'm not sure what the hell they're doing with their "tours/minute" s:D What's a AUTOSTOP/Visualtech :confused:

barnicleboy 11-26-2002 05:47 PM

Originally posted by Mike821
Rim size is stock, car is not broken in, transmission is manual, 4th gear is almost 1:1, 5th is not.

20% loss is not normal for manual transmission...

Guys your forgetting a key factor. the LSD. you guys have the viscous slushbox lsd which is definatly robbing hp. The mechanicals are definately going to show higher power.

Im so glad i got my base, to build upon as I so please!

sdpearso 11-26-2002 05:49 PM

Mike, I hear what you are saying and I agree for the most part. It just seems from what I've read here (and I didn't read eveything in this thread) that you are dissatisfied with your Z because of the dyno results you've seen. This seems silly for the reasons you agreed with above. Dyno results can and do vary and other factors play in.

I do like the Z (I'm a little biased since I own one) but I don't think it's the best car. Maybe the best car in it's class and/or for this price range. But I do want all the facts stated.

I'm glad you're not dissatisfied with your car. ENJOY!

350Z33 11-26-2002 06:11 PM

VQs use sensitive knock sensors that retard ignition timing when the engine is run hard... this causes hp to drop when the engine is not running on a high enough octane.

So if you run it hard to the dyno or dont let it cool off before dyno testing then you'll lose some hp. After you break in try octane booster.

Post up your dyno graph.

xXx 11-26-2002 06:40 PM

Mike 821,

Let's get something straight. I was replying with info trying to help you in an effort to figure out where the lost power might be coming from. Secondly, you start talking about closed minded people and then go bashing the Prowler in comparison. You're the one that needs to open your mind up you hypocritical bastard. Many have offered reasons for a possible loss in power in response to your thread. You have failed to see those. You are the one complaining about a 20% loss so I throw out the fact that I own a car which loses over 30%. You criticize it. Put your fugly ass Z next to my Prowler at the beach and see which draws more attention. That's what I thought. No the Prowler doesn't perform as well as the Z but then again with your lemon I would probably beat your Z. That's all beside the point. Point is you started a thread about how you were dissapointed with your dyno #'s. So many offered explanations as to why this may be and that it may not be as bad as you think (in my case I said you might not have corrected figures) but you ignore that only to bash others with what seems to be in your mind a flame against you from everyone else. It's NOT the case. Read the posts carefully. There's a lot of good info in there that YOU are failing to see.

BigBadBuford 11-26-2002 06:50 PM

And to the guy with the prowler I'm sorry, no offese (really) but don't compare an american auto-tragic transmission on a 20" rims to a Japanese car designed to perform!

Be careful what you say bad about American automatic transmissions.. everyone brings up about how the Z is no 'BMW' so they don't expect it to have such a low HP loss.. well, guess who makes BMW's auto transmissions? GM!

Mike821 11-26-2002 07:09 PM

Originally posted by xXx
Mike 821,

Let's get something straight. I was replying with info trying to help you in an effort to figure out where the lost power might be coming from. Secondly, you start talking about closed minded people and then go bashing the Prowler in comparison. You're the one that needs to open your mind up you hypocritical bastard. Many have offered reasons for a possible loss in power in response to your thread. You have failed to see those. You are the one complaining about a 20% loss so I throw out the fact that I own a car which loses over 30%. You criticize it. Put your fugly ass Z next to my Prowler at the beach and see which draws more attention. That's what I thought. No the Prowler doesn't perform as well as the Z but then again with your lemon I would probably beat your Z. That's all beside the point. Point is you started a thread about how you were dissapointed with your dyno #'s. So many offered explanations as to why this may be and that it may not be as bad as you think (in my case I said you might not have corrected figures) but you ignore that only to bash others with what seems to be in your mind a flame against you from everyone else. It's NOT the case. Read the posts carefully. There's a lot of good info in there that YOU are failing to see.

First of all I don't care where the power loss is coming from, even if you proove to me that the car does loose 20% then I'd still be disappointed. Speaking of hypocritical bastards "No no please don't bash my crowler... Fugly Z... lemon...." :rolleyes:
If YOU read the posts carefully I said: And to the guy with the prowler I'm sorry, no offese (really) but don't compare an american auto-tragic transmission on a 20" rims to a Japanese car designed to perform! but then again, speaking of hypocritical bastards LOL:icon18:

Anyways thanks for the funny post, now go troll somewhere else :rolleyes:

Mike821 11-26-2002 07:17 PM

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
Be careful what you say bad about American automatic transmissions.. everyone brings up about how the Z is no 'BMW' so they don't expect it to have such a low HP loss.. well, guess who makes BMW's auto transmissions? GM!
Wait, who mentioned BMW's automatic transmission:confused: It actually kinda sucks as far as I know. If you want to see a good automatic transimission then MB is the only manufacturer I know. BMW is not that great and Audi/VW is even worse, so german doesn't necessarily mean automagic.

BMW does have good gearing though and their manual transmission is great.

PS - I didn't know GM makes BMW's automatic transmission and I need to hear the whole story before I jump to conclusions, but I just don't know about that fact.

aggie300zx 11-26-2002 07:20 PM

Just becareful on those dyno's, don't want this to happen to your Z.....

http://216.15.235.210/video/nsx_dyno.mpeg

I buddy of mine sent this over....ouch!

nosuchsol 11-26-2002 07:24 PM

Wait, who mentioned BMW's automatic transmission:confused: It actually kinda sucks as far as I know. If you want to see a good automatic transimission then MB is the only manufacturer I know. BMW is not that great and Audi/VW is even worse, so german doesn't necessarily mean automagic.

BMW does have good gearing though and their manual transmission is great.

PS - I didn't know GM makes BMW's automatic transmission and I need to hear the whole story before I jump to conclusions, but I just don't know about that fact.

Actually you did mention Auto-tragic american transmissions and Buford alluded to an earlier post saying that the Z wasn't a BMW.
So if BMW uses a GM tranny then it makes good sense.

Audi has one of the better CVTs out on the market. With their *mesh chain* design they have been able to handle more power and smoother shifting. CVT is still in it's infancy on the market, but Audi is doing well.

nosuchsol 11-26-2002 07:28 PM

Originally posted by barnicleboy
Guys your forgetting a key factor. the LSD. you guys have the viscous slushbox lsd which is definatly robbing hp. The mechanicals are definately going to show higher power.

Im so glad i got my base, to build upon as I so please!

I like the way you think!!! helical LSD here you come.. lol. I wonder how different the dyno's are between the base/enthusiast,performance,touring/track models. They all have slightly different configurations that can play a small or large role in how power is distributed to the wheels. We have to get more dyno's up... i'd say that an even distribution of 1000 Zs would cover 99% of the Z population. One mans dyno doesn't make or break the cars ability.

Mike821 11-26-2002 07:29 PM

Originally posted by nosuchsol
Actually you did mention Auto-tragic american transmissions and Buford alluded to an earlier post saying that the Z wasn't a BMW.
So if BMW uses a GM tranny then it makes good sense.

Audi has one of the better CVTs out on the market. With their *mesh chain* design they have been able to handle more power and smoother shifting. CVT is still in it's infancy on the market, but Audi is doing well.

That's right I did mention auto-tragic but I didn't say BMW has a good auto. I guess I just thought that it was an attack on me again, which it wasn't... Sorry just got used to it ever since this thread:D

I have a 5-speed 2001 1.8T (chipped) and I like it a lot. I drove an auto as well when I was originally deciding on it and it was crappy. Audi has the CVTs since last year I believe.. correct? I mean 2002 was the first year I think, and I wasn't referring to those.

Michael

Mike821 11-26-2002 07:32 PM

Originally posted by aggie300zx
Just becareful on those dyno's, don't want this to happen to your Z.....

http://216.15.235.210/video/nsx_dyno.mpeg

I buddy of mine sent this over....ouch!

Oh man what happened? What blew? I assume it can happen on the highway as well not just dyno though right?

Sucks

nosuchsol 11-26-2002 07:35 PM

Anyways, this is retarted. So many closed-minded individuals in one forum... That's right, Z is the fastest, the most powerful, the best looking, the best car in the world... And whoever disagrees with that should go right ahead and sell his - is that right sdpearso ?:rolleyes:

On the same token you say that you wanted opinions but you are neglecting or refuting everyone who doesn't agree with you. In all fairness you are calling the kettle black. I hardly think any of the posts have said that the Z is the god of cars, and most posts that I have read have been very constructive. Calling someone closeminded b/c they don't agree with you is entirely incorrect when you read 95% of the responses to you. If you want to see close-mindedness you could have gone to Supraforums.com or MKIV.com - it was brutal!!!! but entertaining as well. =) (edit: i'm not saying ALL the posts are constructive, or even meant to be, just most of them - let's do a poll, lol!!)

nosuchsol 11-26-2002 07:38 PM

That's right I did mention auto-tragic but I didn't say BMW has a good auto. I guess I just thought that it was an attack on me again, which it wasn't... Sorry just got used to it ever since this thread:D

I have a 5-speed 2001 1.8T (chipped) and I like it a lot. I drove an auto as well when I was originally deciding on it and it was crappy. Audi has the CVTs since last year I believe.. correct? I mean 2002 was the first year I think, and I wasn't referring to those.

Michael

I have NO CLUE about the regular automatic trannys... never been a fan myself. I'm almost positive that the CVT was introduced with the new A4.... they are working on one that will handle even more power while being reliable.. who knows when that will come out. The CVT is a great concept.... but you can't beat a manual, they're just too much fun.