MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Forged Internals CNC Shift Knob (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/143732-forged-internals-cnc-shift-knob.html)

002-M-P 09-23-2005 07:11 AM

Forged Internals CNC Shift Knob

Well I just got the new shift knob from Sharif in and installed last night and thought I would make a review thread with some pictures.

I really can't believe the difference in the feel between the stock knob and this one. It really is night and day, everything just feels a little bit more solid and not "spongey" I guess you could say. The FI knob also sits lower than the factory knob which reduces the shift length a bit. Not saying that I will never get a short shifter now, but my plans to get one have def. moved down my list of things to do. I'm not sure when another GB for this knob will take place or if there will be another one (I would imagine their will though), but if anyone is looking at getting a shift knob don't look past this one. It' Perfect!

Got quite a few pictures of it and the stock one too...

http://mp-racing.net/350zpics/fi_knob1.JPG
http://mp-racing.net/350zpics/knobcomparo1.JPG
http://mp-racing.net/350zpics/stockknob1.JPG
http://mp-racing.net/350zpics/fi_knob4.JPG
http://mp-racing.net/350zpics/stockknob2.JPG
http://mp-racing.net/350zpics/fi_knob3.JPG
http://mp-racing.net/350zpics/fullinterior.JPG

taurran 09-23-2005 07:28 AM

Looks great. I wanted to get in on the group buy, but I have a bunch of other things I need to do that are higher on the priority list than the shift knob.

Oh yeah, and vaccuum your floor. :)

Sharif@Forged 09-23-2005 07:33 AM

Glad you like it. :) FYI...all of the knobs shipped a couple days ago, so looks like you may have been the first to recieve it. :D

002-M-P 09-23-2005 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by taurran
Oh yeah, and vaccuum your floor. :)

I just knew someone was gonna say something about that :)

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Glad you like it. FYI...all of the knobs shipped a couple days ago, so looks like you may have been the first to recieve it.

Yeah, perks of being less than 200 miles away and USPS shipping I guess

Chebosto 09-23-2005 08:04 AM

hey Sharif-

i noticed with alot of metal knobs, they get hot! my nismo titanium get heat soak from the tranny and the sun from sitting in a parking lot...

what about making a ceramic one or one out of a heat resistant material? in the same shape. sorta like what that Iso Thermal material they have for the motordyne plenum.. ?

Sharif@Forged 09-23-2005 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chebosto
hey Sharif-

i noticed with alot of metal knobs, they get hot! my nismo titanium get heat soak from the tranny and the sun from sitting in a parking lot...

what about making a ceramic one or one out of a heat resistant material? in the same shape. sorta like what that Iso Thermal material they have for the motordyne plenum.. ?

THX, the engineer, can chime in with more info, but from my experience, and others, this particular CNC SS shift knobs remains luke warm about 95% of the time. I know what you mean about hot shift knobs. I have felt some AL onces that are scalding hot, where you have to dance around the shift knobs for several minutes before it cools down enough to grab.

Some members have mentioned they planned to ceramic coat them, or powder coat them. But to keep the price at $99, there isnt room to add coatings to the knob. Those that have used the knob can chime in, but IMHO, heat hasnt been an issue at all.

G3po 09-23-2005 08:47 AM

hey Sharif-

I've use my FI CNC knob fro the last few summer months in NorCal.
It only became marginally hot in on instance were it sat positioned in "direct sunlight" for several hours. My car sits outside 24/7 , so statistically it's not bad at all. If you want it to be cool all the time , just throw and old sock on it in very hot summer months when parked outside.

jct 09-23-2005 11:12 AM

(aka James) Received my knob in Southern California today; will install it this evening. Looks nice & feels nice. Many thanks to THX, the unnamed machinist and Sharif.

MY350Z.COM 09-23-2005 11:21 AM

I just carry a sock with me and put it over the knob to prevent heat.

I believe the material/metal duralumin doesn't get hot. Tomei has a knob called the Duracon that doesn't get hot.

I should be getting my ForgedInternal knob any day now. WOOHOO!

I think I might get it anodized black.

Victor

mcduck 09-23-2005 11:35 AM

Sorry... I'm sure this is very functional upgrade, but it still looks like a buttplug than a shifter replacement to me.

Why not do something to make it look more like a shifter... maybe etched gate pattern on top or some sort functional 'grip' pattern? I wouldn't even consider one of these unless something is done in the appearance department. :icon16:

Sharif@Forged 09-23-2005 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by mcduck
Sorry... I'm sure this is very functional upgrade, but it still looks like a buttplug than a shifter replacement to me.

Why not do something to make it look more like a shifter... maybe etched gate pattern on top or some sort functional 'grip' pattern? I wouldn't even consider one of these unless something is done in the appearance department. :icon16:

THanks for the positive feedback Andy! :D If you would try the shifter, you would feel the benefits of this design.

I have recieved nothing but compliments on the look, BTW.

mcduck 09-23-2005 11:54 AM

as I said, I'm sure its functional... besides, I have tried yours out... remember? Just not with the car in motion.

I'm sure some like the look... I don't. Looks are subjective. I still haven't found a shifter knob replacement that I really like anyway... so it's not just the CNC one.

MY350Z.COM 09-23-2005 03:29 PM

I just got my knob! I love it. I like how it's weighted which will remove any vibrations from my B&M short-shifter.

35oZephyR 09-23-2005 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A buttplug?? lol :p That's what I thought when I first saw it on these forums.

But then it grew on me..goes so well with the trim. Heres mines with the interior, the shiftboot is trimmed down about an inch and half all around.

dave079 09-23-2005 03:48 PM

I cant say enough good things about mine. This is my 4th shifter I have gone through and by far my fave.

taurran 09-23-2005 03:52 PM

Sharif - is this knob something that will be sold indefinitely on your website? I'd like to get one eventually, but this will have to be after a few higher priced mods.

Sharif@Forged 09-23-2005 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
A buttplug?? lol :p That's what I thought when I first saw it on these forums.

Ok, you and McDuck know waaaay too much about butt plugs...LOL. :)

Seriously though, glad you like it.

Taurran, I plan on doing a production run about every 2-3 months, as we need to have at least 15 knobs produced per run. I do have about 4 extras from this production run.

ssc 09-23-2005 09:39 PM

i think that knob will look better if the "neck" part was shorter or not there at all

MY350Z.COM 09-24-2005 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by ssc
i think that knob will look better if the "neck" part was shorter or not there at all

Then it would be very awkward to grip. And I would have not bought one.

dave079 09-24-2005 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Wazowski
Then it would be very awkward to grip. And I would have not bought one.

+1 It fits perfectly in your hand the way it is.

ssc 09-24-2005 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by dave079
+1 It fits perfectly in your hand the way it is.

oh, i see

Sharif@Forged 09-24-2005 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ssc

The neck portion was intentional, as it provides a perfect place to rest your lower fingers on your hand. THX went through several different designs, and consumer tested them for fit. This knob is totally unique...the chances of your neighbor having this are very slim. :D

CompiledMonkey 09-24-2005 02:40 PM

I got mine yesterday too, perfect knob as far as feel. However, I've got this rattle noise that has been driving me crazy. Need to take it off and see if I can figure out what's up.

Sharif@Forged 09-24-2005 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by CompiledMonkey
I got mine yesterday too, perfect knob as far as feel. However, I've got this rattle noise that has been driving me crazy. Need to take it off and see if I can figure out what's up.

Dont re-use the factor bushing or rubber parts. Just screw the new knob on the shaft.

THX723 09-24-2005 04:30 PM

CompiledMonkey,
It sounds like you are using the factory spacers (consists of a metal ring and a rubber bushing). Both are NOT required for this knob. Just twist on and go. ;)

I can see why some ppl haven't warmed up to the pics of the knob. The knob tends to look large and tall in pics w.o. a proper reference in the same frame. In reality, the knob is much slimmer and shorter than most would think. I would highly suggest those that are on the fence w. regards to the aesthetics to hunt down someone w. one of these and go for a test drive. Yes, drive it! While rowing through the gates in place (no driving) will get you a general feel of the knob ... the actual feel and feedback only comes alive during a drive.

Enjoy folks!

CompiledMonkey 09-24-2005 06:53 PM

You guys were right, I removed it and everything is great. I really do love this knob. Great addition to the car, even for looks. My gf got in the car last night and noticed it right away. Really stands out.

bio911 09-24-2005 07:10 PM

it looks kind of odd... is it as skinny as the nismo shifter? i had a chrome one and i put back on the stock shifter.

jct 09-25-2005 12:02 PM

Installed yesterday; :thumbup:

mcduck 09-26-2005 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by THX723
CompiledMonkey,
It sounds like you are using the factory spacers (consists of a metal ring and a rubber bushing). Both are NOT required for this knob. Just twist on and go. ;)

I can see why some ppl haven't warmed up to the pics of the knob. The knob tends to look large and tall in pics w.o. a proper reference in the same frame. In reality, the knob is much slimmer and shorter than most would think. I would highly suggest those that are on the fence w. regards to the aesthetics to hunt down someone w. one of these and go for a test drive. Yes, drive it! While rowing through the gates in place (no driving) will get you a general feel of the knob ... the actual feel and feedback only comes alive during a drive.

Enjoy folks!

I have seen it in person on Sharif's car and my opinion stands. As I also stated, I haven't found a shifter know replacement yet that I like, tho... so its not really a specific hatred for this one or anything.

I'll have to corral Sharif one afternoon to drive his car and test the shift knob out under driving conditions. Yeah, that's why I want to drive his 600+rwhp TT Z... to test the shift knob... :icon38:

THX723 09-26-2005 09:38 AM

Fair enough. Let us know if you find a better 'plug'! :D

Chebosto 09-26-2005 10:09 AM

you need to make these...

selling like hotcakes with the drifters.

haha..

http://www.fochkopf.com/images/fs/currentknobs.jpg

THX723 09-26-2005 10:13 AM

Now that's be cool if it was filled w. 7-up! :p

Nano 09-26-2005 10:37 AM

been using the CNC shif knob for a couple of months and I'm still totally thrilled by it.

car is tracked and street driven.

Another downside of the stock shiftknob is that with driving gloves it gets even MORE spungy and awkward to hold. With the CNC knob, even with driving gloves the feel is sharp and precise. Feeling the shifter as it nails the "gates" during an heeltoe downshift put a small on my face every time. The "operability" of the shifter with gloves is on another scale.

That said... if you track the car without gloves the shifter does get more slipper than the stock one. But to me it's not an issue as I wouldn't track without driving gloves. Slipperyness is never an issue on the street.

zxsaint 09-26-2005 11:57 AM

I actually got mine last wednesday...

Initial reaction was a surprise as to how much shorter/smaller it is than the stock knob. Strangely the pictures don't show this (may be the shininess in the photos making it appear larger).

I got around to installing it yesterday. Installation was a breeze using a strap wrench to twist off the oem knob -- took a few minutes.

Overall very impressed and I look forward to driving the car just to get to touch my knob. :D

THX723 09-26-2005 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by zxsaint
... I look forward to driving the car just to get to touch my knob. :D

One Knob to rule them all, One Knob to find them,
One Knob to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

... my precious!

MINE!!!

:icon10::icon10::icon10:

Sharif@Forged 09-26-2005 01:52 PM

I'll have to corral Sharif one afternoon to drive his car and test the shift knob out under driving conditions. Yeah, that's why I want to drive his 600+rwhp TT Z... to test the shift knob... :icon38:

Haha...I dont want you touching my knob...I will put the stock shifter back on...prior to your test drive. :D Or you can BYOK. :D

Chebosto 09-26-2005 09:15 PM

oooohh yea baby.. sorry to jack this thread... here's the bubble in ackshun!

http://www.z33driver.com/images/even...le_shifter.jpg

http://www.z33driver.com/images/even...5/Ant_hang.jpg

http://www.z33driver.com/images/even...e_Cockpit2.jpg

last image is the cockpit of Nadine's Drift car...
http://www.z33driver.com/images/even...Nadine_Car.jpg

mchapman 09-27-2005 01:39 AM

HAHAHA! Thats great, dual purpose. :icon17:

Seriously though, thats good feedback, a etched gate would look cool.

mchapman 09-27-2005 01:40 AM

you need to make these...

selling like hotcakes with the drifters.

haha..

http://www.fochkopf.com/images/fs/currentknobs.jpg

This one must be a dildo. :)

mchong75 09-27-2005 06:49 AM

I received my shift knob yesterday afternoon. I'm surprised to see how much smaller it is and I definetely love the way it feels. I'm going to install mine today.

Would "Trader Rating" apply to group buys/vendors ????

Sharif@Forged 09-27-2005 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by mchong75
I received my shift knob yesterday afternoon. I'm surprised to see how much smaller it is and I definetely love the way it feels. I'm going to install mine today.

Would "Trader Rating" apply to group buys/vendors ????

Glad your knob arrived...whew. :D

Sure....trader rating applies to vendors as well...even with GB's. :D Thanks!

mchong75 09-27-2005 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Glad your knob arrived...whew. :D

Sure....trader rating applies to vendors as well...even with GB's. :D Thanks!

Yeah, I'm glad it arrived to the apt. I was worried while I was on vacation.

Great! I just left my Trader rating feedback for ya.

maximumsportZ 09-30-2005 07:00 AM

I ordered one! When will it be shipped Sharif?? I Can't wait :icon38:

Sharif@Forged 09-30-2005 07:06 AM

Excellent...for those that ordered late, the overflow knobs will be here on Sat or Monday at the latest, and will ship out to you promptly. THANKS!