MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Hard #s on the Crawford Z Plenium (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/26605-hard-s-on-the-crawford-z-plenium.html)

dougrace zs 04-19-2003 10:17 AM

Hard #s on the Crawford Z Plenium

Just got back from the dyno... finished our first dyno runs of the redesigned plenium we have been working on. Strapped it onto Chris's Super Black STOCK track, minus K&N and grounding kit.

It did EXACTLY what we wanted it to do. MAKE POWER TO REDLINE - we're VERY happy from the results... 9 peak HP, 19 at redline.

Oddly thou, note the RPM dyno we lost signal at high RPM... so for max HP at redline - reference the speed dyno.

Enjoy! :D

dougrace zs 04-19-2003 10:18 AM

@ speed

MannishBoy 04-19-2003 10:26 AM

Sweet.

Did flipping the strut bar work?

Hope to see it next weekend :D

dougrace zs 04-19-2003 10:31 AM

Originally posted by MannishBoy
Sweet.

Did flipping the strut bar work?

Hope to see it next weekend :D

Nope... we have the redesigned one coming up from ATL in a few weeks. :icon04:

MannishBoy 04-19-2003 11:20 AM

Just noticed, looks like from the phone number on the graph you had the dyno done in Nashville instead of Atlanta this time? Did you try it on your car with the exhaust side mods to see the cumulative gains yet? I know since you never base lined it in Nashville, it would be hard to see the exact gains, but it would be interesting at some point to see the total between the headers, pleneum, & cat work. Guess we can wait for the next trip to Atl, though. :D

dougrace zs 04-19-2003 11:33 AM

Originally posted by VQracer
Any pics of the "plenum"?

Also, thanks for showing proof.

Victor :)

For now... no pics. In due time we'll show our work. Like the headers, we proved they made power... Once we have the production set of pleniums ready, we'll post those.

Mannish - We'll be dyno'g in ATL soon... we didn't have time to get mine on the dyno.

kgb 04-19-2003 12:25 PM

Originally posted by dougrace zs
For now... no pics. In due time we'll show our work. Like the headers, we proved they made power... Once we have the production set of pleniums ready, we'll post those.

Mannish - We'll be dyno'g in ATL soon... we didn't have time to get mine on the dyno.

How much will the plenium cost?

Thanks.

Mike350Z 04-19-2003 02:25 PM

the details are hard to make out. Are there any larger pics of the dyno graphs?

rodH 04-19-2003 02:34 PM

sorry for the dumb ?, but what is a Plenum on the Z??

PhoenixINX 04-19-2003 04:31 PM

Question Doug, what name (brand) will be slapped on this plenum and the headers?
Most likely Crawford Performance.... :D

2003z 04-19-2003 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Evil350z
Most likely Crawford Performance.... :D
Do you get to keep it Chris?

PhoenixINX 04-19-2003 04:42 PM

Originally posted by 2003z
Do you get to keep it Chris?
Nono... this is strickly a mock up...

Much like the prototype headers on Dougs car...

Surely they'll both end up on the wall of Dougs office, as tropheys to his sweat and blood he's given to the 350 enthusiasts..

... On a sidenote I've been BRISKLY driving all day. Good LORD this car pull from 5500 to redline now. k... time to go drive more. :D :D :D :D :D :D :icon4:

kgb 04-19-2003 05:52 PM

it's "plenum"

I thought so, but I was following dougrace zs' spelling. :D

Dougrace zs, do you know the labor cost and the time involved for replacing the plenum?

Thanks

VandyZ 04-19-2003 06:23 PM

Originally posted by kgb
I thought so, but I was following dougrace zs' spelling. :D

Dougrace zs, do you know the labor cost and the time involved for replacing the plenum?

Thanks

15 minutes!!

dougrace zs 04-19-2003 06:44 PM

I don't think you could do the replacment in 15 minutes but it is a very easy swap. Somebody with a few metric tools and about 1 hour could do this job anywhere. As with all are our replacement parts we will provide detailed installation instructions if you would like to do these yourself.

Alberto 04-19-2003 10:17 PM

So this is a redesigned plenum, not just the factory one ported and polished a little?

XBS 04-19-2003 11:39 PM

is the plenum polished and how does it looked compared to stock?

VandyZ 04-20-2003 05:53 AM

Originally posted by VandyZ
15 minutes!!
Sorry that was my removal time!

PhoenixINX 04-20-2003 07:03 AM

Originally posted by Alberto
So this is a redesigned plenum, not just the factory one ported and polished a little?
The problem didn't lie in just a p&p... it took a redesign.

PhoenixINX 04-21-2003 03:51 AM

Originally posted by VandyZ
Sorry that was my removal time!
:D

ZMNZ 04-21-2003 10:14 AM

Very cool!
Is it similar to Top Secret's redesigned plenum?
Thanks!

Alang 04-21-2003 01:35 PM

So should I even bother to ask if your going to try for a CARB certification so us slobs in Calif can consider your handiwork? I'd be willing to volunteer my car if that helps :D

teh215 04-21-2003 02:49 PM

Originally posted by rodH
sorry for the dumb ?, but what is a Plenum on the Z??
Just to add a little info here (please make correct me if I over simplify or mis-state this). Alot of posts on this site refer to either an Injen or AEM cold air "intake" which may be leading to some confusion for some. These are intakes but, they refer to the tubing between the filter, air flow meter and throttle body. The intake Doug is referring to is the plenum which is part of a 2 piece intake manifold system. The plenum is often referred to as the upper intake manifold. The lower intake manifold often contains the fuel injectors, etc. and bolts directly to the cylinder heads and engine block. The plenum, or upper intake manifold, bolts directly to the top of the lower intake manifold. Since the plenum, or upper intake, simply sets on top of the lower intake manifold and does not appear to contain any major engine components (water jackets, etc) , swapping it should be fairly simple.

HTH

Traffic 04-21-2003 03:20 PM

Originally posted by ZMNZ
Very cool!
Is it similar to Top Secret's redesigned plenum?
Thanks!

Are you referring to their exhaust manifold? I don't believe they have an intake plenum available.

92hatchattack 04-21-2003 03:24 PM

can someone please explain the diffrence in the 2 dyno charts--- cvery confused here--- also-- what is this 9 hp a peak and 19 hp to redline mean--- whats the diffrence there???

Traffic 04-21-2003 03:32 PM

Originally posted by 92hatchattack
can someone please explain the diffrence in the 2 dyno charts--- cvery confused here--- also-- what is this 9 hp a peak and 19 hp to redline mean--- whats the diffrence there???
OK, the 9HP gain is the increase to maximum HP (crudely, 287+9). 19HP is the largest increase in HP, and that occurs at 6400-6600 RPMs.

92hatchattack 04-21-2003 03:42 PM

sweet-- and this is all whp correct???---looks like weve got ourselfes a solution for that lack of high end power!!!

92hatchattack 04-21-2003 03:43 PM

one more thing though----- whats with that " speed " dyno?????

whosdady 04-21-2003 04:58 PM

A Couple Questions

Will this work with an after market CAI, IE INJEN intake?

Will this work with our current strut bar?

Will this effect emissions and thus our warrenty?

PhoenixINX 04-21-2003 05:35 PM

sweet-- and this is all whp correct???---looks like weve got ourselfes a solution for that lack of high end power!!!
Agreed... Mission accomplished. Nice job Doug!

one more thing though----- whats with that " speed " dyno?????
The dyno lost our signal at higher RPM for some reason... who knows. So we're using the speed dyno to indicate our max HP at redline.

Originally posted by whosdady
Will this work with an after market CAI, IE INJEN intake?

Will this work with our current strut bar?

Will this effect emissions and thus our warrenty?

CAI - yes

Current bar - No

Effect emissions - No

Warranty - By law, unless the PART CAUSES the problem which is being warrantied. The dealered or warrantor cannot deny any claims.

zeroday 04-21-2003 05:49 PM

Originally posted by kgb
How much will the plenum cost?

Thanks.

This mod looks very promising. I'd also like to know approximately how much this will cost. Anyone?

92hatchattack 04-21-2003 05:56 PM

agreed---- i am very excited---- thats the one thing i said that siapointed me bout the stock z was that very high end power was just lacking

<<------ comes from the honda world of high end power lol

but this souds very promising!!!

price--- release date???

ZMNZ 04-21-2003 07:11 PM

Top Secret actually does have a different plenum on their single turbo 350Z car. They stated that under FI, the stock plenum did not flow air equally to both cylinder banks. Thus, a new plenum was designed.

92hatchattack 04-21-2003 07:35 PM

holy ****--- that thing looks mean!!!!!! any specs on it----- can we get a pic of the Crawford one please!

PhoenixINX 04-21-2003 08:08 PM

holy ****--- that thing looks mean!!!!!! any specs on it----- can we get a pic of the Crawford one please!
Pics will be revealed in time...

As for the design, its NOTHING like that. Long tubes as such make low down power, nothing up top.

D'oh 04-21-2003 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Evil350z
Agreed... Mission accomplished. Nice job Doug!

The dyno lost our signal at higher RPM for some reason... who knows. So we're using the speed dyno to indicate our max HP at redline.

CAI - yes

Current bar - No

Effect emissions - No

Warranty - By law, unless the PART CAUSES the problem which is being warrantied. The dealered or warrantor cannot deny any claims.

This mod sounds interesting, mainly because it is effective, simple, and (hopefully) fairly inexpensive.

However, since the new plenum will not work with the strut bar, I was wondering if you had though about a different strut bar that might have some bends to bypass your plenum.

I personally really like the strut bar (even if I can't tell that it is there when driving) and I really would not want to loose it. If you had a replacement then I would be more inclined to buy both.

-D'oh!

MannishBoy 04-22-2003 03:15 AM

Originally posted by D'oh
This mod sounds interesting, mainly because it is effective, simple, and (hopefully) fairly inexpensive.

However, since the new plenum will not work with the strut bar, I was wondering if you had though about a different strut bar that might have some bends to bypass your plenum.

I personally really like the strut bar (even if I can't tell that it is there when driving) and I really would not want to loose it. If you had a replacement then I would be more inclined to buy both.

-D'oh!

Read Doug's reply to me above. They are looking at a new design.

dougrace zs 04-22-2003 02:25 PM

Ok guys heres the skinny on the intake plenum . The stock strut bar will not fit so we have designed another one, price on this will be around $350.00. We are trying to get a price on the plenum casted that will be polished and look good. If you just want HP and don't care if the plenum is welded up we can do those for around $300.00 exchange.

Traffic 04-22-2003 02:39 PM

Doug,

I note you say 'exchange' on the welded plenum. Would we be removing and sending our stock plenum?

Let me also clarify, a new strut bar and plenum would be $650-700 tentatively? I can do that.:)

dougrace zs 04-22-2003 02:45 PM

Exchange would be I would send you a done up manifold and charge your credit card a core charge of $250.00 till I got your old one back. That way you car is not down for a week.

02MaximizedVQ 04-22-2003 09:52 PM

Plenum + exhuast = ?

Hey Doug, I noticed you tested the prototype plenum on a stock Track model Z. Generally intake and exhuast modifications work synergistically, so would it be logical to assume this modification may yield more horsepower for Z owners that already have an aftermarket exhuast?

Jesse

dougrace zs 04-23-2003 03:24 AM

Hey Doug, I noticed you tested the prototype plenum on a stock Track model Z. Generally intake and exhuast modifications work synergistically, so would it be logical to assume this modification may yield more horsepower for Z owners that already have an aftermarket exhuast?

Yes thats correct

dollar99 04-23-2003 11:07 AM

any G applications for either the intake manifold or headers? Us G boys needs some new toys for our cars. ;)

MannishBoy 04-23-2003 03:07 PM

I can't see the intake not working on the G35, and the headers should work but haven't been tested.

PhoenixINX 04-23-2003 04:11 PM

I can't see the intake not working on the G35, and the headers should work but haven't been tested.
The plenum from what I could see looks different than the Zs...

All we could do is get it in the shop and look at it.

MannishBoy 04-23-2003 04:22 PM

While it has a different cover, I'm pretty sure it is the same part underneath. I think the engines are virtually identical between the G35C and the Z.

wren57 04-23-2003 05:24 PM

I hope it fits the G35, and you are practically my neighbor too. I live in Memphis and have a coupe on order from infiniti of nashville to get here in june... it will be showroom new, but if you need a test-fit guinea pig I will be more than happy to swing by your shop...

Runn 04-23-2003 05:32 PM

Does anyone have information on the Top Secret plunum.

PhoenixINX 04-23-2003 08:16 PM

While it has a different cover, I'm pretty sure it is the same part underneath. I think the engines are virtually identical between the G35C and the Z.
I hope so too... don't get me wrong, but the Altima, Maxima, G35 Sedan, etc... all share the same engine... all VERY different plenums. :p

Thou again... I hope you're right!

MannishBoy 04-24-2003 03:25 AM

I think there are 2 different plenums for the VQ35DE. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think there is one for the

FWD VQ's like the Murano, Maxima, Altima

and one for the

RWD VQ's like the 350Z, G35, G35 Coupe, FX35

The intakes aren't even the same from what I've read from the G35 sedan to the coupe. I think the G35C and the 350Z share pretty much the exact motor, but the lower HP versions are slightly different in intake and ECU.