MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/)
-   -   Cost of installing Greddy TT (https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/53979-cost-of-installing-greddy-tt.html)

bruschijr 12-18-2003 05:54 PM

Cost of installing Greddy TT

Hey all, i think its my second post.... just wanted to know if anyone knows or has a relative idea on how much it would cost to get the greddy TT kit installed. I looked at one thread and someone said $1000, does this seem like a good estimate? I have saved up enough to get the kit after Christmas, never had a turbo, so i dont know what I'm in for, i know how they work, fly a twin-turbo Cessna 320, i guess its closely related... But I LOVE my car, and I think it deserves it! I'm hoping that price is reasonable... if its more than $1500 i'll have to wait till March:(
Please let me know some general estimates...even if you had a TT kit installed on a previous car, thanks

SlamMan 12-18-2003 08:29 PM

You could probably get it put in for $1K. It's probably not that hard to do it your self though. Then you could spend the money on the clutch your gonna NEED. Not to mention a small laundry list of other things you should have. Things like a a wide band O2 sensor and custom turbo cat-back. Just don't fool yourself into thinking it will just cost you the price of the kit + install. Back to the orignal point. Yes you should be able to get it done for that price. Don't be afraid to pay a little more to get it done right though. Good luck.

bruschijr 12-18-2003 08:55 PM

yes please tell me other things I would NEED, specifically NEED right away.....so I know what I am getting into....thank you for the information... i appreciate it. I'm guesssing a turbo cat-back is an exhaust....but why would I need that....and what about the O2 sensor? Once again thanks!

DruDragzOn 12-18-2003 09:15 PM

If you have stock exhaust, it just doesn't have the proper capacity to flow large amounts of exhaust gases in a turbo application. That's why you need a turbo cat-back exhaust with larger piping diameter.

SlamMan 12-18-2003 10:22 PM

A nice fat 3 inch cat-back (your correct in your assumption) exhaust reduces back pressure which helps reduce heat build up. It also helps the turbo spool faster. The Wide-band O2 sensor is to hook up to an air/fuel gauge of some sort. Anyone who knows even a little about modifying cars will tell you the No. 1 most important thing is making sure your air/fuel ratio doesn't go lean. the A/F gauge is how you monitor this. Your car in stock form only carries a narrow-band O2 sensor. It isn't accurate enough to give you a true air/fuel ratio reading. I have heard AEM is soon to release an A/F gauge with wide-band O2 sensor. You may have to ask around about it though. Other than that you will most likely need to upgrade the clutch to something strong enough to hold your newly found power. When upgrading the clutch that is the best time to install a lighter flywheel to save labor costs. The flywheel isn't a must but it's nice.

badabing 12-19-2003 04:59 AM

bruschijr

I think that we are in the at same point I have enough for the turbo but after reading more about them I realize that I’m going to need allot more equipment for example:

-Turbo timer:

-Larger diameter exhaust

-Wide band O2 sensor

-Boost controller (E-Manage)

-gauges: oil temp, exhaust temp

-Power steering cooler (greedy kit forces you to more the current one with IC so one guy said that he is going to upgrade his

After all, of this we are looking at a large project around 12K.

havabooz 12-19-2003 05:10 AM

slamman...you seem to know your stuff..would you mind explaining why a TT setup would require a new clutch??...i know some SC guys and they havnt done this...what components exactly make up the clutch....and im assuming they are different when regarding 6MT and 5AT and i have the latter..not like i have the $$ for a TT or an SC right now..but i want to learn exactly what im getting into when i do

Juztin 12-19-2003 05:24 AM

your shifting around 6krpm's with full boost, that will cause accelerated wear and possibly even slip on your clutch depending on your power levels. Just like launching with a roots type SC giving you full boost at much lower rpms. Supposedly the drivetrain is rated at 600hp, but the clutch has already given up on atleast one ATI Z that I can remember. From the looks of it, the drivetain excluding the clutch can take 600hp.

t32gzz 12-19-2003 05:37 AM

Bada bing answered most of your question, I will add to his answer. Boost controller, not included, e-manage does not control boost except as a preset limit. This means you cannot increase the boost. To increase the boost you will need the Greddy Profec-B or Profec EO1. You will also want to consider a larger fuel pump, EGT guages, and a custom cat - less exhaust. Add in the clutch and labor, and you are looking at 12K to 16K.

FairladyZ 12-19-2003 07:45 AM

Not worth it at all. I spent about 5K on my prevous car and I could smoke a 350Z-TT. I have had the speed, so I am tired of it. I would drive around with all this power but when could I use it? I rarely took it to the track, and all i did with it was street race it on George Bush Frwy.

With the strict street racing laws passed in Tx now (and they are only getting worse) whats the point of having a very fast car. Thats one of the reason I got a my Z. There is always going to be a car faster. My buddy is getting a stage 3 twin turbo upgrade for his ZO6 corevtte that should be ready in Jan.

I am waiting for Nissan to come out with a 350Z-TT (hopefully), and I will trade one of my current Z's in for it.

DLin05 12-19-2003 10:38 AM

What would I need if I planned to get the Greddy Kit without IC, and then running pretty low boost? does the eManage let you decrease boost levels?

350trackz 12-19-2003 10:43 AM

I talked with an installer that did a skidazzle's custom turbo. Most of the Greddy kit is used, some is tossed aside. They get their own ecu kit, they use a different fuel pump, and on and on. Basically, when you pick the car up, it has the gauges you need, been dyno tuned and everything. Dyno proven with the Greddy kit at 375-400rwhp and reliable. Total cost (parts labor etc, including the Greddy kit) out the door with tax...$14000.

If you are wondering about the cost being high, talk to skidazzle !!! I'm sure he can vouch for the quality and workmanship !!! I am planning for mine to go in around March or so.

bruschijr 12-19-2003 05:14 PM

thanks for all the replies, what I really meant was what will I need with the installation.... I'd just like to start out at standard boost first... i think 5.6 or 5.7, i read somewhere that it passed emissions. I know gauges would help and an exhaust would be nice(btw would the borla TD cut it?) I know all of these things I would consider getting down the road...but what I really want to know is what else do I NEED indefinatley to condsider running the car safely...right after the installation...every other nice thing to have I would get later..thanks though...this is valuable information to me and hopefully others.

350trackz 12-19-2003 05:23 PM

Borla TD is what I will be running. The 400rwhp number was reached with larger piping at normal boost levels. I am hoping to get more torque with the SLIGHTLY smaller diameter.

The kit is complete. I would STRONGLY recommed investing is 2 egt gauges, boost and air/fuel gauges. If nothing else, get autometer until you can get what you want. Some think of gauges as "extras". I personally believe they are necessities in a boosted situation, ... especially TT. Reason is, there is a lot that can go wrong. With the gauges you can at least see it coming...like a potential lean situation or extreme temps or decreased boost etc. After all, after you spend the big bucks on the TT and install, last thing you want to do is skimp on monitoring...the computer network...you can spend a fortune of a network...but without proper monitoring, you can not see when something is going wrong. Just my $.02

SlamMan 12-19-2003 06:33 PM

Technically there is nothing you need aside from the kit. If your worried about budget get gauges. EGT and boost. Then have your car run on the dyno with a wide-band O2 sensor so you know what temp your exhaust is at relative to the air fuel ratio. You could just get the clutch when it goes out. As far as exhaust, a custom 3 inch should cost you about the same as a brand name one of smaller diameter.

DLin05: Don't make the mistake of running without an intercooler.

shaun_walsh 12-19-2003 07:20 PM

I have been quoted 2000-2500 for the install

time4aspliff 12-19-2003 08:31 PM

I'm almost certain that Greddy, Borla, HKS, Apexi, etc. will offer full 3" turbo-back (including a downpipe) exhausts in the future. We've just scratched the surface. I have a feeling that we'll be seeing more turbo kits in the next 9 months or so. The last time I perused a Japanese car magazine, I noticed that multiple companies already offer components for beefier internals and turbo-friendly compression. It won't be long before we see daily-driven 12 second Z33's (atleast I hope)...

Gruppe-S 12-19-2003 08:42 PM

The hours necessary to install the Greddy T/T kit is going to be quite high. A big time consumer is the removal of the intake manifold for the injectors. I believe it is going to range quite higher than the consensus of 20 hours for the install. :eek:

Gary
Gruppe-S

DLin05 12-19-2003 09:22 PM

so intercooler is a must even at lower than standard boost?

t32gzz 12-19-2003 09:39 PM

The intercooler is optional, but without it, I would not run over 3 or 4 lb of boost at the most..... too much heat. If you are buying the kit, you need the intercooler, and running everything in the kit with basic guages, no clutch or special fuel management. You are looking at 8k for the kit, but you can get it as low as 6k and 2k for install and tuning, 250 for cheap guages, you are looking at a minimum of 8,500. TXSTYLE wrote a post, I believe titled "pay to play", do a search and read it. It will be helpful. Good luck! I am installing the Greddy TT soon, so I can help if you need it, PM me.