Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

5AT Samco's, SARD, 9 lb pulleys & Crawford. PIC!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 02:44 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or better yet I will check my Nextel voice mail and call you, hang on!
Old 01-10-2004, 04:49 PM
12SecZ

Nice talking , good conversation let's do it in person next time bro!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:09 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah lets do it in a few weeks (2-3) when I get my car back from the shop!!!

Gurgen
Old 01-11-2004, 11:00 AM
whosdady

Max, I know your 5AT is a freak of nature. With no shifting issues pushing 400+rwhp. (and yes I know we have discussed this many times). I have not done either mod to date (t/c or VBU) but if I decide on keeping my car it will certainly get the valve body upgrade. The T/C (as you know) may shave .5 sec. off your 1/4 time. This mod would certainly benefit both of us at the track. (regardless of traction issues). That can always be ressolved.

No I am not flashed yet, I am waiting to see how your experience goes. Again if I keep the car, this would be something I would do.

What happened the other day with no boost, is different than your situation. I was in full auto mode and punched it. There was no boost. What happens is the tranny can't hold the power. The VBU will resolve this issue. I don't know enough to explain it but the VBU helps the tranny stick. In my case, I have never not had boost from shifting early.

I will know shortly whether or not I am keeping the car. I have two fairly interested buyers. If the car doesn't sell, it will be getting both the ECU flash and VBC.

Originally posted by 12SecZ
I'm gonna do the Verter but the VB Upgrade is unproven to me and unnecassary.

I was not even close to lean, I was on the fat side and posted pics of my plugs; despite rumors of me running almost 14:1 lol!

Why would I need a new Verter before going to the track? It would stall higher and I would lose even more traction on my Falken's.

I think you want to see who's rear end and gears go first haha, been there done that. WD you need to resolve *your* sticking issues bro, I don't have any. Ask Tadashi he has driven my car, we have been over this a dozen times!

I am not having shifting issues, let's try and take this car by car. I shift under boost everyday.

I have "not made any boost" too but it was because I shifted early. I always make boost at a certain rpm and it isn't always the same rpm like with the Aeromotive FMU since removing that my boost engagement changed.

WD are you still unflashed and using the DFMU? I honestly think that is part of your problem, that VB is allot of work and very sensitive, I would sell my car before I did that!

As for the Plenum questions, no noticable increase in noise, just pulls harder and leans you out a little but if you start rich then you wind up almost perfect lol! I just want to be sure though, I feel safe driving it, but I do want the final "it is perfect" from Technosquare before I go track. I know another car who has stalled their Edge Verter twice and still having issues so I think you and I are heading in different directions. We should have bough 6MT's! lol

"If you were running stock injectors/pump you would be running super lean with the cats/plenum. Plus you will be running less PSI."

But I am not and "if" I won the lottery tonight the entire kit would be pulled out and the car would be rebuilt N/A. Then I would be buying a new Z06 lol!

"What if's" are too easy lol!

Hey thanks Vic yeah I love em!
Old 01-11-2004, 11:16 AM
12SecZ

Thanks WD,

After a lengthy talk with Leval 10 I am not prepared to do that VBU.

That's wierd about the no boost.

Are you starting to hate your car yet? I know I am.

New subject though, did you see that G35 make 360HP on boost? Aren't all G35's A5T's?

I sure would like to get to the bottom of this. I talked for 30 minutes with Gurgen yesterday about his Edge Converter and he loves his. I just don't know how far I want to go with this car.

400HP then 450 torque is a rear end, axle, gear buster on this car with a higher stall I bet.

What are you plans? Did you commit 100% to the VBU? It sounded quite extensive in nature on the labor side and that was pre and post shipping it out. Post more often if you can bro!
Old 01-11-2004, 11:28 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Don't you guys think that we should just find the location of the electrical solenoid for the tranny line pressure and just drop in a smaler resistor to up the line pressure? This, as you know, is what the maxima guys have been doing for a while now - the simplest thing, non-intrusive, cheap....

Gurgen
Old 01-11-2004, 11:43 AM
12SecZ

Sounds like a plan,

What happened the other day with no boost, is different than your situation. I was in full auto mode and punched it. There was no boost. What happens is the tranny can't hold the power.
I bet you 10 bucks that if you removed that POS red DFMU and rerouted the boost line that comes off of it that would never happen again!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:01 PM
whosdady

I will try to post more often. Life is crazy for me with work, a prego wife and a 2 year old. I have not commited to the VBU. I have only thought about it because this is really the only part of the car I dislike. (minus one rattle the dealer is trying to fix) Infact, occationally the car shifts the way it should and I get a huge smile on my face. I would be interested to hear more about Gurgen's suggestion.

I don't hate my car. I am having a hard time justifying the time, effort and money. I could easily lay down $4G's on the ecu flash, injectors, pump, VBU and TC. But in the end, the value of my car will not be much greater and the performance will be high 11's to low 12's. (with no backseat for two young kids)

There are some G35 6MT's. If I am not mistaken the 350 rwhp G was a 6MT.

As for the edge T/C. I have heard mixed reviews. More leaning on the negative. They are very easy to deal with but their product is not respected like that of level 10. On the flip side, I was not impressed with the customer service from level 10 so go figure.

By the way, I PMed you the other day. (I'm assuming you never got it) PM's never work on the 350 boards. I have never had any problems on the supra boards.
Thanks WD,

After a lengthy talk with Leval 10 I am not prepared to do that VBU.

That's wierd about the no boost.

Are you starting to hate your car yet? I know I am.

New subject though, did you see that G35 make 360HP on boost? Aren't all G35's A5T's?

I sure would like to get to the bottom of this. I talked for 30 minutes with Gurgen yesterday about his Edge Converter and he loves his. I just don't know how far I want to go with this car.

400HP then 450 torque is a rear end, axle, gear buster on this car with a higher stall I bet.

What are you plans? Did you commit 100% to the VBU? It sounded quite extensive in nature on the labor side and that was pre and post shipping it out. Post more often if you can bro!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:08 PM
12SecZ

Again? I didn't get any PM's from you.

Try email this is ridicoulous, my box is not full.

I want to hear more about this resistor too. I agree about the 10k investment into a 30k car I am right there with you man.

I don't hate my car I guess, I just want it right. I have never had this many problems modding any of my other cars is all.

Anyways WD,

CONGRATS I didn't know about the new addition. I know it's hard to find to post but I like reading your posts. We both have boosted A5T's who want to track which is rare here. That is why I always look for your posts.

BTW, Gurgen got a B&M Tranny cooler to fit and plumb just fine on his G, that was great news for me yesterday because at Summit it's a 40 dollar part! We will resolve this if we involve enough people. Lord help us if Nissan or ATI got involved in assisting two potential 11-12 second A5T's!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:15 PM
12SecZ

Was your PM called "wow" mentioning restruring etc? If so I got that, it was a couple days ago I think. I was was working 19 hour days during that period and don't remember much but yeah I got that one and others just fine.

I saw everything you said and concur, I would do the same if I could.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:28 PM
whosdady

Lord help us if Nissan or ATI got involved in assisting two potential 11-12 second A5T's!
Amen...

If money wasn't an option those parts would be on my car in a heartbeat. That B&M cooler was suggested to me by MC Racing. I am not going to do the t/c for now. ( I suggested it because you are a little more hardcore than I am) I am concentrating on fixing the shifting issues for now. I will try to hit a maxima board to see what gurgen is talking about. Then I could get the flash and be safe and happy.

I am going outside to drive my car with the brake fuse pulled right now. I will post my thoughts in a few minutes.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:41 PM
12SecZ

Right on, let me know, it's the third row down I think, PITA to get to.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:08 PM
whosdady

I pulled the stop lamp (10) fuse. Drove it for few minutes, here are my thoughts.

1. The car had a slightly easier time in full auto mode screatching the tires from a start. However the car sounded different. It felt weaker and the shifting was worse between gears. Is there any learning mode for this with the ecu?

I quickly put the fuse back in and drove it. Less rubber but better shifting. This doesn't make sense.

Man this shifting thing is driving me crazy. I think you are right about the boost deal. I bet the FMU boost line is messed up.

Yes my PM was intitled "wow". It makes me feel better to know you got it. I thought I was going crazy.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:41 PM
12SecZ

You pull the fuse then turn on the car for exactly 20 seconds
then turn off the car

did you power brake? Did you have brake lights.

Wierd man. No learning I know of, my results were instant at the track but I did do that 20 second thing someone sent me last year each and every time.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:45 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

You pull the fuse then turn on the car for exactly 20 seconds
then turn off the car

did you power brake? Did you have brake lights.

Wierd man. No learning I know of, my results were instant at the track but I did do that 20 second thing someone sent me last year each and every time.
Hey guys

Yeah the line pressure fuse DOES exist - it is just in a much harder location than te Maxima's driver'side firewall (by teh brake master cylinder). We are SURE that it has an elctrical solenoid - whe just need to find where it is. Imagine how much of a better mod this is compared to the VB one - it is 1) reversible 2) adjustable (variable resistor) 3) no need to pull the tranny apart 4) ultra -cheap!!!

Gurgen
Old 01-11-2004, 01:58 PM
12SecZ

We promise to make the first man to find this famous via email lists, forums post credits fata shotaka films, Good Year Blimp Notifications and even Afghan leaflets.

Seriuosly, we are so close I can smell the rubber
Old 01-11-2004, 02:07 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Angry

Oh yeah!
Old 01-11-2004, 02:49 PM
whosdady

Max, I didn't do the 20 second thing and turn it off. That may have been why it felt funny. No I didn't have brake lights. The car actually felt weaker.

Thanks Gurgen, this does sound promising. Are we sure it is in a bad spot? Or do we just not know where it is located? Are there any negative affects from this mod as far as the Maxima guys are concerned?
Old 01-11-2004, 02:53 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally posted by whosdady
Max, I didn't do the 20 second thing and turn it off. That may have been why it felt funny. No I didn't have brake lights. The car actually felt weaker.

Thanks Gurgen, this does sound promising. Are we sure it is in a bad spot? Or do we just not know where it is located? Are there any negative affects from this mod as far as the Maxima guys are concerned?
No no negatives - only positives (clutch packs not wearing off due to slippage, less heat, etc.)

We just do NOT know wherethe hell it is, that's all.

gurgen
Old 01-11-2004, 04:31 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Have you read the service manual on this part? Its discussed in detail starting in AT-28 of the tranmission section. I'm curious about this resistor you metion, I guess its on the output side of the TCM to the solinoid itself. It appears there is a fail-safe check on that output as well..

I'm trying to read the electrical diagrams to follow the cabling.. but its giving me a headache

Quick Reply: 5AT Samco's, SARD, 9 lb pulleys & Crawford. PIC!