MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   Spearco Water Injection System (Universal Kit) (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/199125-spearco-water-injection-system-universal-kit.html)

MIAPLAYA 06-22-2006 07:50 AM

Spearco Water Injection System (Universal Kit)

Well as I have mentioned in some threads Spearco has a Universal W/I kit. They are working on a Z/G specific kit that will bolt up directly to the Z with no guess work and will include a tank, filler hose etc. Work is still progressing there. In the meantime heres some more info on the Spearco Universal kit I just got my hands on:

http://turboneticsownersclub.com/turbos/wiswrite1.jpg
http://turboneticsownersclub.com/turbos/wiswrite2.jpg

more info at theTurbonetics Owners Club

MI 35th 06-22-2006 08:25 AM

OH, Daddy likes! I want one of those!

Bullitproof 06-22-2006 08:40 AM

Looks nice. whats the price point gonna be?

MIAPLAYA 06-22-2006 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bullitproof
Looks nice. whats the price point gonna be?

Well MSRP is listed above but clearly dealers will sell for less. The Z specific kit should be at the same price...

mraturbo 06-22-2006 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Well MSRP is listed above but clearly dealers will sell for less. The Z specific kit should be at the same price...

Let us know how it works, perhaps I can try it with a JWT kit?

M
:)

MIAPLAYA 06-22-2006 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mraturbo
Let us know how it works, perhaps I can try it with a JWT kit?

M
:)

Will do...just waiting for the Z shop doing the tailoring work to button it up and post some results...

Mr350Z 06-22-2006 09:19 AM

I was thinking of adding this to a JWT kit too. It's only extra insurance, especially with a stock block and bad CA gas.

D350Z10 06-22-2006 09:32 AM

Very nice

MIAPLAYA 06-22-2006 10:23 AM

I'll get pics up of the Z/G specific one as soon as the install has been finalized.

nateg35 06-22-2006 10:43 AM

Damm....I just ordered the coolingmist kit & it gonna arrived today:( ...otherwise will jump on this

MIAPLAYA 06-22-2006 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by nateg35
Damm....I just ordered the coolingmist kit & it gonna arrived today:( ...otherwise will jump on this

You could always return it ;)

booger 06-22-2006 03:45 PM

Looks like the Mods have removed the info you posted Mia

MIAPLAYA 06-22-2006 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by booger
Looks like the Mods have removed the info you posted Mia

I still see it...the server was down for a second though...

If you don't see it here hit the link at the bottom of the post.

booger 06-22-2006 04:25 PM

got it now

MIAPLAYA 06-22-2006 04:28 PM

got it now

Sweet

gringott 08-21-2006 06:22 AM

Any word Senor Miaplaya?

MIAPLAYA 08-21-2006 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by gringott
Any word Senor Miaplaya?

Yes sir. The fitting to a 350Z has been completed and final testing in that application was finished up. The shop that installed it is just finishing up the instructions with pictures now.

gringott 08-21-2006 07:25 AM

Thank you for the quick responce.

gringott 11-15-2006 01:19 PM

Mia, any news on this (Z specific)? Or did it fall in the dustbin of history?

MIAPLAYA 11-15-2006 01:22 PM

Mia, any news on this (Z specific)? Or did it fall in the dustbin of history?

No the part number is actually in the new catalog. I'm not sure where they are at status wise as it relates to shipping but I know it has a part number assigned. I'll see if there are any updates yet.

IIQuickSilverII 11-15-2006 02:14 PM

i have the universal kit installed and i love it =]

gringott 11-16-2006 05:35 PM

Any word on the Z not universal kit?

IIQuickSilverII 11-16-2006 05:38 PM

Any word on the Z not universal kit?

probably will be released along with STage 2 turbo

JETPILOT 11-16-2006 06:22 PM

Soooooo.... Never? :(

JET

MIAPLAYA 11-16-2006 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
probably will be released along with STage 2 turbo

LOL most likely on a different schedule. As I said there is a Z specifc WIS part number in the new catalog. I think they are just waiting to finalize the install instructions and parts list. The shop that was doing the work to custom fit it to the Z is fnishing up on them now.

taurran 11-16-2006 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Soooooo.... Never? :(

JET

I thought it was already out. We're giving one away at The Run next month that was donated by Turbonetics. (see my sig)

MIA - do you know if they sent us the universal or Z kit?

IIQuickSilverII 11-16-2006 06:32 PM

hahah i got the universal kit and it fits fine...very stealthy install, almost happy i didn't use an extra tank for it... i liek the fact that i can see in the guage clusted when i am low..... who has thir Zs windshield dirty anyways lol

gringott 01-01-2007 01:11 PM

Mia; any updates for 2007?

BamBam 01-19-2007 11:21 AM

Mia, Sent you a PM.

AboostedG 03-30-2007 01:00 AM

So what's the update on this thing?

Dubai 03-30-2007 04:20 AM

+1

BamBam 03-30-2007 08:06 AM

As far as I know the universal kit is probably the best bet for a lot of us.
It allows you to fit he kit where you find space.
Forged Performance has installed a couple and they really feel it is better to have the flexibility to chose your reservoir and mounting location specific to what other mods you have installed in the engine bay.
I should be able to give an impression on everything in about 2 weeks when I pick my car up.
--B

QuadCam 03-30-2007 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by BamBam
As far as I know the universal kit is probably the best bet for a lot of us.
It allows you to fit he kit where you find space.
Forged Performance has installed a couple and they really feel it is better to have the flexibility to chose your reservoir and mounting location specific to what other mods you have installed in the engine bay.
I should be able to give an impression on everything in about 2 weeks when I pick my car up.
--B

the universal sounds like a good plan.....I just don't understand why Turbonetics has Rob make these product announcements for items that so far away in their production cycle....... for example, it has been 9 months since MIA announced this kit. How long has it been since the Stage 1.5 and STage 2 announcements? close to a year?

MIAPLAYA 03-30-2007 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by QuadCam
the universal sounds like a good plan.....I just don't understand why Turbonetics has Rob make these product announcements for items that so far away in their production cycle....... for example, it has been 9 months since MIA announced this kit. How long has it been since the Stage 1.5 and STage 2 announcements? close to a year?

Actually Spearco sent a Universal kit to a premier Z/G tuner who is on this board back when this was announced. At the time the anticipation was that this tuner would do the development work on a Z specific kit. Since then this tuner's business has easily quadrupaled and as a result other projects like this have had to take a back seat. Not that Turbonetics wasn't busy itself releasing the Scion tC auto kit, 02-03 Spec V kit, 04-05 Spec V kit, Mustang kit, H3 kit, GT-K turbos, Torque Master wastegate, Torque Master turbo and intercooler upgrades for Dodge, Chevy, and Ford diesel trucks, and a laundry list of other products. In the mean time the universal kit can and has been used. At the time I posted this the thought was that it would be a rapid turn around for development and the kit would be out quickly. I can say that I spoke with the Spearco Project Manager this week and this project is going to be back on track very soon. In fact I'll probably be mocking up the first test system on a forum members car in two weeks with a few design changes from the standard universal kit. After the Z/G one is done Spearco plans to do other platform specific WIS kits as well. I apologize for posting this way back when but I was a bit excited that Spearco agreed to do a vehicle specfic set up for this being that I was the one who suggested it to Spearco.

Fluid1 03-30-2007 03:19 PM

Good stuff Rob. Thanks for the information.
t

Sharif@Forged 03-30-2007 04:45 PM

Actually Spearco sent a Universal kit to a premier Z/G tuner who is on this board back when this was announced. At the time the anticipation was that this tuner would do the development work on a Z specific kit. Since then this tuner's business has easily quadrupaled and as a result other projects like this have had to take a back seat. .

This was our fault for the delay, not TN or MIA. In the meantime, you guys have to try the universal kit. No joke, a monkey would wire up this kit....its three wires, and completely idiot proof. The first kit we tested on the dyno, showed some great results. The transition to meth is completely unnoticable on the dyno....seamless...just as it should be.

Since then we've installed a few more, and one more is going on BamBam's car. The trick, as BamBam mentioned, is finding a suitable place for the reservior, since everyone's engine bay and bumper space is utilized differently. We have used the Snow and Aquamist systems, and IMHO, they are overly complex, both in terms of install, and setup, and for little reason.

Fluid1 03-30-2007 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
This was our fault for the delay, not TN or MIA. In the meantime, you guys have to try the universal kit. No joke, a monkey would wire up this kit....its three wires, and completely idiot proof. The first kit we tested on the dyno, showed some great results. The transition to meth is completely unnoticable on the dyno....seamless...just as it should be.

So basically what you're telling me here is that Dubya could actually do this. I'm calling BS.

reptile718 03-30-2007 04:57 PM

Nice kit, its on my wish list. Hope to have it soon!

MIAPLAYA 03-30-2007 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged

Since then we've installed a few more, and one more is going on BamBam's car. The trick, as BamBam mentioned, is finding a suitable place for the reservior, since everyone's engine bay and bumper space is utilized differently. We have used the Snow and Aquamist systems, and IMHO, they are overly complex, both in terms of install, and setup, and for little reason.

Thanks for that post Sharif. I wasn't by any means knocking you. God knows you've been ridiculous busy and that's why I haven't bugged you about it. The customer comes first ALWAYS. They pay the bills after all. I appreciate any work you put into these. In talking with Johnny we are most likely going to let the end user decide what tank they want to use and where they want to put it. He is however working on some other very neat add ons to the kit to make it even EASIER to set this up with no additional hardware or metal work needed. I can PM you the details if you like.

MIAPLAYA 03-30-2007 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fluid1
So basically what you're telling me here is that Dubya could actually do this.

tr00f... :icon38:

Dubai 03-30-2007 05:59 PM

Sharif, when tuning the car with the WIS do you lean out the AFR (if so to what level?) or you just keep the same boost pressure and AFR in low to mid 11's and spray the water just for safety?

also it would be nice to know the results you experienced from this kit. :)

booger 03-30-2007 07:09 PM

I have the Snow Performance kit and it works great and doesnt seem overly complicated at all . You can choose when it comes on and when it goes full spray . I have mine come on at 4 psi and it ramps up preasure as boost rises and goes full spray at 10psi . Both are adjustable . Has the capability to hook up safety measures to open up the BOV if spray stops . I didnt hook it up , but by the instructions it looked pretty simple .

QuadCam 03-30-2007 09:53 PM

Not that Turbonetics wasn't busy itself releasing the Scion tC auto kit, 02-03 Spec V kit, 04-05 Spec V kit, Mustang kit, H3 kit, GT-K turbos, Torque Master wastegate, Torque Master turbo and intercooler upgrades for Dodge, Chevy, and Ford diesel trucks, and a laundry list of other products.

Rob, you missed my point.........We all know Turbonetics is a busy company; someone always tells us that when the subject of a "stage 2" comes up. What I am saying is that Turbonetics can save alot of face by not saying anything. They have a tendency to announce exciting upcoming products so far in advance that most people on these boards give up waiting for these products to come to market. Example,.....how many people either have sold/ want to sell the ST kit? many of these people are just going with a readily available twin kit that is available now...rather than wait and wait on a "stage 2" upgrade. I, for one, am one of those people who bailed out in favor of a greddy Twin setup; I can think of a few other, too.

All I am saying is that either you or Turbonetics may want to consider some restraint in the "coming soon" department. TN makes great turbos, wastegates, intercoolers, etc; it seems they are very focused on developing performance products for many makes/models of car (which is a great thing.) By choosing that route, they have to put alot of these uprade-type products on the "back burner." Make the annoucements when the product is just about ready to go. They will really reap the benefits of new product hype..... rather than deal with frustrated enthusiasts who just can't wait a year for these "back burner" products to become available.

Finally, I feel a simple/effective water injection system has place in the FI G/Z market....hopefully, it'll be a reality in the near future.

AboostedG 03-30-2007 09:57 PM

^ Well said!

MIAPLAYA 03-31-2007 07:42 AM

Well all the announcements were made when the thought process from them and myself was that the particular product would be soon coming to market. But as all things it changed. I personally felt that people would prefer to know about a product in development and not after its been selling for 6 months.

taurran 03-31-2007 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by QuadCam
Example,.....how many people either have sold/ want to sell the ST kit?

Not very many in the grand scheme of things. I'd venture to say that the Turbonetics ST is one of, if not the, best selling turbo kits right now. Those that have sold it had good enough reasons, but 99% of the owners I've talked to knew of their expected power goals and are happy with the results. In the end, it's hard to blame the kit rather than lack of personal research.

However, I do agree with the issue of release dates. Take the gaming industry for example, they've learned about "promised release dates" the hard way.

Sharif@Forged 03-31-2007 09:44 AM

I have the Snow Performance kit and it works great and doesnt seem overly complicated at all . You can choose when it comes on and when it goes full spray . I have mine come on at 4 psi and it ramps up preasure as boost rises and goes full spray at 10psi . Both are adjustable . Has the capability to hook up safety measures to open up the BOV if spray stops . I didnt hook it up , but by the instructions it looked pretty simple .

I hope people didnt intrepet my post as knocking the other kits. If you have one of the other kits, I am sure they are working just fine for you. If you are using meth to actually lean out AF ratios, and run significantly more timing, rather than just as an insurance policy, then some of the safety features used in the more complex kits might be worthwhile.

Personally, we only use meth kits as an insurance policy, and do not lean out AF ratios or run significantly more timing. There are a lot of variables at play when tuning engines to the max, and a clogged nozzle, or an empty meth tank could spell disaster if the meth tune is too aggressive.

GurgenPB 03-31-2007 06:17 PM

Actially, if the pump accepts a PWM input, there is GREAT potential in this when used with an ECU with a programmable PWM output, like the Fcon.

If this is possible, you won't even need a controller.

The real question, will Spearco sell us a kit with everythign MINUS the controller, which looks to be the most expensive part anyway.

Mia, is this possible, maybe on a one-off basis (for testing purposes)? Please get back to me.

MIAPLAYA 03-31-2007 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Actially, if the pump accepts a PWM input, there is GREAT potential in this when used with an ECU with a programmable PWM output, like the Fcon.

If this is possible, you won't even need a controller.

The real question, will Spearco sell us a kit with everythign MINUS the controller, which looks to be the most expensive part anyway.

Mia, is this possible, maybe on a one-off basis (for testing purposes)? Please get back to me.

That's a really good question. I'm not sure if this pump has its own specifc part number which would make it orderable by itself. I'll ask the Spearco Project Manager on Monday about it. As for the pump yes it will accept a PWM input.

Philthy 03-31-2007 08:17 PM

I'm running the snow kit with the safe injection module on my STI - there so many safeties build in and available today that the system will automatically switch to wastegate pressure in the event of a lack of flow, low fluid level and/or a clogged nozzle...

50/50 Meth/Water is a great addition when running pump gas - just make sure that the system your using has a pump that has been design to work with Meth...