MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   Catch can problem (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/444420-catch-can-problem.html)

rcdash 07-13-2009 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by NETSHARK (Post 7545093)
Still no one did it why not separate the heads, its simple !

Replace the hose connecting the two valve covers together with a Breather in Each opening, and Drill the PCV Valve, find a way to fabricate a small pipe (or install a Nipple but i guess it should be in a Slash Cut way to be more efficient) like the one on the drivers side do exactly the same thing on the Passenger Side Intake Pipe.

Using Two Catch Cans, Connect Each Catch Can Inline between:

Driver Side opening on the back ----------(Catch Can)-------- Driver Side Intake Pipe

Drilled PCV Valve ------------------------ (Catch Can)--------- Passenger Side Intake Pipe (the Nippe/small Pipe you fabricated)

And Call it a Day :p you did save the load on just One Turbo doing all the work while the other Turbo is useless, but now its not anymore.

So what do you guys think ???? i really want to try it and i will !! but am still not boosted yet :1

I should've had Forged fabricate another vacuum source on the passenger side. Always something I forget... Anyway, I did tap into the central hose that connects the two valve covers. It works fine - not sure it was necessary though.

failsafe306 07-13-2009 06:46 PM

would this work?....

1. cap off rear drivers vent and passenger side pcv vent.
2. install a T in between the crossover hose that goes between the two heads.
3. install a small air filter on the T and vent all to atmosphere.

Would that be sufficient to prevent crankcase buildup?

rcdash 07-13-2009 07:54 PM

That would be suboptimal IMO. It would allow gases to escape through a single exit port, but it would not provide any vacuum during load to assist with evacuation, it would decrease ability to manage blowby gases since only 1 port can allow escape instead of 2, it would not permit ventilation to remove fuel vapors, and it would not trap oil and fuel in a catch can.

failsafe306 07-14-2009 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by rcdash (Post 7545689)
but it would not provide any vacuum during load to assist with evacuation

In a forced induction engine with an open crankcase pressure system, why would positive pressure need vacuum assistance to escape from the engine?

Originally Posted by rcdash (Post 7545689)
it would decrease ability to manage blowby gases since only 1 port can allow escape instead of 2,

What about installing a breather on the drivers side, as well as drilling out the PCV and installing a breather on the passenger side as well, while leaving the two valve covers connected to help equalize pressure?

The only problem with the above solution that I see is: a.) enviromentally unfriendly b.) might need to clean the engine bay more frequently.

(not trying to argue, you clearly know more about this than I do. I'm just trying to learn :))

rcdash 07-14-2009 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by failsafe306 (Post 7546506)
In a forced induction engine with an open crankcase pressure system, why would positive pressure need vacuum assistance to escape from the engine?

Only to increase the flow rate through the tubing. The idea with crankcase ventilation is "ventilation"! That involves bringing fresh air in to lift out fuel vapors and products of combustion, but leaving the heavier oil and oil vapor behind.

Originally Posted by failsafe306 (Post 7546506)
What about installing a breather on the drivers side, as well as drilling out the PCV and installing a breather on the passenger side as well, while leaving the two valve covers connected to help equalize pressure?

The only problem with the above solution that I see is: a.) enviromentally unfriendly b.) might need to clean the engine bay more frequently.

(not trying to argue, you clearly know more about this than I do. I'm just trying to learn :))

This will work and I seriously doubt you will experience any issues with elevated crankcase pressure. I don't think it'll do a great job at removing products of combustion selectively versus oil vapors. I think the breather filters will get soaked in oil/fuel and it will be a little messy (easily solved with catch cans).

failsafe306 07-14-2009 07:17 AM

That makes sense, thank you.