Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Catch can problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:24 PM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Catch can problem

I've had catch cans on all my turbo cars and never really had a problem with them. They normally would take many months to fill but I just recently rebuilt my engine and I'm noticing my catch can filling up abnormally fast. So much so that it filled up almost 1/2 way on a 250mi trip.

WHat's the deal with this?

I only have one can on the passenger-side bank, the other side is hooked up directly to the driver-side intake and its not oferflowing.

Why is only one side overflowing?

Last edited by tecni; 07-06-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:07 PM
tecni

anybody?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

fairly new motor might just mean the rings not fully seated.

Could be just a lot of blow-by.

How hard are you pushing the car?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:04 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I've played around with crankcase ventilation a good bit and found that for FI, utilizing the stock PCV and intake plenum is suboptimal for releasing blow by. If you've drilled out the PCV and continue to use the intake plenum as a vacuum source, then the evacuation of oil will increase considerably. You want maximum evacuation during maximum load - the compressor side intake piping is suitable for this. NOT the plenum.

In brief, I route the passenger side PCV vent (drilled out), to the turbo side compressor intake with a catch can in between. I leave the other side as an open breather. This seems to work well. Some folks route both the driver's and passenger's side valve cover vents to the intake tubing via a catch can of course. I think either of these will help you.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:12 AM
tecni

Originally Posted by Zivman
fairly new motor might just mean the rings not fully seated.

Could be just a lot of blow-by.

How hard are you pushing the car?
Not hard at all since the new motor only has 500 miles on it.

I don't think I've revved it past 4k rpms
Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 AM
JTinFL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you have it routed?

Last edited by JTinFL; 07-07-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Glex25

Originally Posted by rcdash
I've played around with crankcase ventilation a good bit and found that for FI, utilizing the stock PCV and intake plenum is suboptimal for releasing blow by. If you've drilled out the PCV and continue to use the intake plenum as a vacuum source, then the evacuation of oil will increase considerably. You want maximum evacuation during maximum load - the compressor side intake piping is suitable for this. NOT the plenum.

In brief, I route the passenger side PCV vent (drilled out), to the turbo side compressor intake with a catch can in between. I leave the other side as an open breather. This seems to work well. Some folks route both the driver's and passenger's side valve cover vents to the intake tubing via a catch can of course. I think either of these will help you.

You got any detailed pics.
I tried following the routing in the other thread but couldn't make heads or tails out of it
Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 AM
rcdash

There are some towards the end of my build thread (link in sig). In those pics, I actually intercept the hose that goes between valve covers as well. I don't feel that's required though. Drilling out the PCV is good enough. Just pull both valve cover vents into a catch can and generate suction from the driver's side compressor intake.

EDIT: here is the post = https://my350z.com/forum/7385249-post77.html
Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 PM
tecni

Here is how I have it done.

I'm thinking of eliminating the PCV valve for a -10 bulkhead and running it to a catch can that vents to atmosphere.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:17 PM
rcdash

Your plenum will suck oil out of the crankcase once you drill out your PCV (get rid of the valve). Need to route all lines to the driver's side intake through the catch can. Seal off the plenum.

Last edited by rcdash; 07-07-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 PM
tecni

Your plenum will suck oil out of the crankcase once you drill out your PCV (get rid of the valve). Need to route all lines to the driver's side intake through the catch can. Seal off the plenum.
I have access to a TIG welder so I could actually weld a nipple on the passenger-side intake to eliminate a ton of hoses going to that one driver's side intake.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:35 PM
ToastZ

Originally Posted by tecni
I have access to a TIG welder so I could actually weld a nipple on the passenger-side intake to eliminate a ton of hoses going to that one driver's side intake.
+1, that's exactly what I would do - IF I had a tig welder, lol.

I vent my setup through a drilled-out PCV and catchcan to the drivers side turbo intake. Seems to work well enough and approved by JKenefic "Mad Scientist"

If you are using a drilled-out PCV through a catchcan connected to the plenum, then the catchcan is gong to fill up FAST, really FAST.

Last edited by ToastZ; 07-07-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tecni
Here is how I have it done.

I'm thinking of eliminating the PCV valve for a -10 bulkhead and running it to a catch can that vents to atmosphere.

Try just drilling out the PCV valve first before drilling the cover for a -10AN fitting and vent that to a catch can and then the atmosphere. That's what I have done.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 07-07-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:09 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, is this what everyone is suggesting?

What about all the one-way valve and stuff that you guys were talking about before? Forget all those and just go with this simple setup?
Attached Thumbnails Catch can problem-bpv.jpg  
Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 AM
tecni

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
So, is this what everyone is suggesting?

What about all the one-way valve and stuff that you guys were talking about before? Forget all those and just go with this simple setup?
Wouldn't that little filter in the back of the driver's side valve cover spill oil?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 PM
tecni

well I drilled out the PCV and put a tiny filter on it for now and it doesn't seem to be spilling everywhere like it was before. I haven't really boosted the car hard though so we'll see.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:52 PM
rcdash

Well technically if the compressor side suction is strong enough during boost, air should be going IN the driver's side breather filter pictured above. That said, if blow by is high enough, then the filter also allows escape of the extra gases, preventing crankcase pressure build up. That breather filter may get soaked with oil. If that happens, you can use a 2nd catch can rather than just the open breather.

You don't need a one way check valve IF you seal off the plenum and IF you don't have a recirculating valve (versus a BOV to atmosphere) on the driver's side piping (I do so I need to make sure that surge of air does not find it's way back into my crankcase).

Last edited by rcdash; 07-09-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:47 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well technically if the compressor side suction is strong enough during boost, air should be going IN the driver's side breather filter pictured above. That said, if blow by is high enough, then the filter also allows escape of the extra gases, preventing crankcase pressure build up. That breather filter may get soaked with oil. If that happens, you can use a 2nd catch can rather than just the open breather.

You don't need a one way check valve IF you seal off the plenum and IF you don't have a recirculating valve (versus a BOV to atmosphere) on the driver's side piping (I do so I need to make sure that surge of air does not find it's way back into my crankcase).

Soooo~ Do you approve of my drawing or am I still missing something? Yes or No please~!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:17 PM
NETSHARK

Still no one did it why not separate the heads, its simple !

Replace the hose connecting the two valve covers together with a Breather in Each opening, and Drill the PCV Valve, find a way to fabricate a small pipe (or install a Nipple but i guess it should be in a Slash Cut way to be more efficient) like the one on the drivers side do exactly the same thing on the Passenger Side Intake Pipe.

Using Two Catch Cans, Connect Each Catch Can Inline between:

Driver Side opening on the back ----------(Catch Can)-------- Driver Side Intake Pipe

Drilled PCV Valve ------------------------ (Catch Can)--------- Passenger Side Intake Pipe (the Nippe/small Pipe you fabricated)

And Call it a Day you did save the load on just One Turbo doing all the work while the other Turbo is useless, but now its not anymore.

So what do you guys think ???? i really want to try it and i will !! but am still not boosted yet :1

Last edited by NETSHARK; 07-13-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:16 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
Soooo~ Do you approve of my drawing or am I still missing something? Yes or No please~!
Yes, looks good. lol.

I was only being verbose in case you noticed oil dripping from the breather. No way to predict if that will happen. I would try what you have pictured.

Quick Reply: Catch can problem