MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Forced Induction (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction-182/)
-   -   Normal sound for Vortech? (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/510936-normal-sound-for-vortech.html)

mazymus 01-07-2011 10:19 PM

Normal sound for Vortech?

1 Attachment(s)
Just got the install finalized today and am hearing this sound. I'm guessing this is the normal rattle sound in addition to the background blower sound?

sorry i had to attach as zip, forum didn't let me attach as mp3
thanks

btw, what's the highest safest AFR i should go w/ the vortech when on wot?

Resmarted 01-08-2011 01:59 AM

could be normal, just sounds weird through camera... None of the vortech cars ive seen (few gt's) didn't sound like that (idk about z's in person)... Is everything tightened to the right specs? Was the install done by a reputable shop? Was it a new kit? What does the car idle at? What pulleys does the car have?
there are more than a few possible vortech setups so the more info you give, the better.
One last question:
Did you search?

mazymus 01-08-2011 06:19 AM

Reputable shop, new kit v3, idle engine, tightened to the right spec as far as I know...
Did quick search, but will do more. I've done months of search before the install and don't specifically remember the sound of others vortech.

Btw it's the stock pulley

Just want to make sure I'm not hearing some weird variation of knock

Thanks

georgek350z 01-08-2011 06:32 AM

try turning on your a/c ! it should stop it .. thats what happens to the sc for z's or any car when you dont bump the idle up to atleat 900rpms it needs to spins faster and the sound will go away . does it rattle only on idle ?

tylerxfire 01-08-2011 07:55 AM

the squeak sound is ur cog belt the other sound is normal bearings in the head unit..the cog belt needs to be tightened a little bit and that squeak higher pitched sound will go away...im about 99% sure its the cog belt needing to be tighened, but if it for some reason is not then it has to be one of the pulleys on wrong..id put my money on the cog belt being a little loose

safest a/f id go with wot is 11.7

OldManZ350 01-08-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by tylerxfire (Post 8881437)
the squeak sound is ur cog belt the other sound is normal bearings in the head unit..the cog belt needs to be tightened a little bit and that squeak higher pitched sound will go away...im about 99% sure its the cog belt needing to be tighened, but if it for some reason is not then it has to be one of the pulleys on wrong..id put my money on the cog belt being a little loose

safest a/f id go with wot is 11.7

I've NEVER heard a Cog Belt Squeak. It IS the Serp Belt that Squeaks if it's Loose. Serp Belt needs to be somewhat tight (search for details), Cog Belt must have a small amount of Play when HOT, about 1/2" COLD (search for details)

The Grinding Sound that comes from the Blower at Idle is Back-Lash in the Gears, Not Bearings. The Back-Lash will not hurt anything. Raising the Idle Speed up to 750-850rpm will make the sound go away.

With Proper Ignition Timing related to AFR's you can go 11.8 @ WOT @ Full Load to 12.2 @ WOT in the upper RPM range, with 93 oct.

tylerxfire 01-08-2011 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by OldManZ350 (Post 8881492)
I've NEVER heard a Cog Belt Squeak. It IS the Serp Belt that Squeaks if it's Loose. Serp Belt needs to be somewhat tight (search for details), Cog Belt must have a small amount of Play when HOT, about 1/2" COLD (search for details)

The Grinding Sound that comes from the Blower at Idle is Back-Lash in the Gears, Not Bearings. The Back-Lash will not hurt anything. Raising the Idle Speed up to 750-850rpm will make the sound go away.

With Proper Ignition Timing related to AFR's you can go 11.8 @ WOT @ Full Load to 12.2 @ WOT in the upper RPM range, with 93 oct.

it could be his serp. belt, i mean its worth a check, but thats normally a different squeal..My cog belt made the same exact noise as that sound in the video the op posted..I tightened it a hair and never had the problem again..Again i put my money on a cog belt that needs to be tightened a little mazymus

mazymus 01-08-2011 10:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
thanks all. i rev the engin to 1-1.1 k rpm and the sound goes away. it only comes on w/ the engine is warm and idle, ie non-existant in the morning when i first turn on the car

btw below are the dyno sheets, i'll do a proper crop when i go home later on today..

georgek350z 01-08-2011 10:22 AM

bump the idle up to 950 . your rpms are to low . 10.5 is to rich . everything else your on the money .

OldManZ350 01-08-2011 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by mazymus (Post 8881588)
thanks all. i rev the engin to 1-1.1 k rpm and the sound goes away. it only comes on w/ the engine is warm and idle, ie non-existant in the morning when i first turn on the car

btw below are the dyno sheets, i'll do a proper crop when i go home later on today..

I Hope that is Not After Tuning? AFR'S are all over the place. If you payed for that, I'd take it back and tell them to Tune It....

9.8 afr @ 3800 rpm is not Tuned, should be more like 11.8 - 12.0 @ 3800rpm

NOTHING is on the Money in your Dyno

str8dum1 01-08-2011 11:06 AM

that AFR plot makes baby jesus sad :(

georgek350z 01-08-2011 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by OldManZ350 (Post 8881623)
I Hope that is Not After Tuning? AFR'S are all over the place. If you payed for that, I'd take it back and tell them to Tune It....

9.8 afr @ 3800 rpm is not Tuned, should be more like 11.8 - 12.0 @ 3800rpm

NOTHING is on the Money in your Dyno

i agree on the tuner part

mazymus 01-08-2011 12:30 PM

The three non blue were after tune, but is on stock injectors /pump, ssbox. Tunner says hard to tune great due to the vortech aux pump. Thinking of just going back to ssbox base tune(blue line), the extra 40hp doesn't seem worth it

tylerxfire 01-08-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by mazymus (Post 8881802)
The three non blue were after tune, but is on stock injectors /pump, ssbox. Tunner says hard to tune great due to the vortech aux pump. Thinking of just going back to ssbox base tune(blue line), the extra 40hp doesn't seem worth it

thats ********, take it somewhere else..my car was tuned perfect with the full vortech kit...on the hit id see 12.0 and slowly toward redline id be holding 11.7-11.8..It should be a steady a/f throughout..

as far as that sound, exactly what mine did..loosen the bolt for the cog belt and push down a little harder and tighten it back up...

OldManZ350 01-08-2011 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by mazymus (Post 8881802)

First of all a Tuners Job is to Tune the car Properly. This guy just wants to take your money. What's his Name?

I don't think you gained 40Hp from that Tune.....

40HP is a lot and well worth it.

You don't need a Great Tune, a Good one will Do.

Based on your dyno, You have Serp Belt Silppage @ 5900rpm, you should make power to at lease 6500rpm

An Out of the Box Kit on a Non-Revup will make 320-330Whp on a DynoJet

mazymus 01-08-2011 01:14 PM

Not sure if I want to go to the naming of tuner way, but I do appreaciate the input. Tune was included in the price for the install, so I guess I can't complain much...
I hope I can set it back to the stock vortech tune. Till then, I'm driving it pretty light

tylerxfire 01-08-2011 02:30 PM

where r u located ?

mazymus 01-08-2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by tylerxfire (Post 8881830)
thats ********, take it somewhere else..my car was tuned perfect with the full vortech kit...on the hit id see 12.0 and slowly toward redline id be holding 11.7-11.8..It should be a steady a/f throughout..

as far as that sound, exactly what mine did..loosen the bolt for the cog belt and push down a little harder and tighten it back up...

the sounds is exactly where you said, by the cog wheel behind the blower (or at least that area...)

I'll try to figure out what kind of tool I need. I don't think I can push the cog wheel down, but I'll look again.

thanks

tylerxfire 01-08-2011 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by mazymus (Post 8882070)
the sounds is exactly where you said, by the cog wheel behind the blower (or at least that area...)

I'll try to figure out what kind of tool I need. I don't think I can push the cog wheel down, but I'll look again.

thanks

u just have to break the nut loose..i dont remember now somehwere around 18mm wrench..then push down on the cog pulley where the bolt runs through it and tighten it back up while ur pushing down..

it happened to me about a hundred miles after i installed my kit and the cog belt wore in a little

mazymus 01-08-2011 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll look into it tommorow, been pretty busy at work all day/night..

I have been driving the car around for a ~60 miles today w/ the sound, hope its not damaging anything

here's the dyno
the blue is the ssbox stock

the shop has been great though overall w/ the install and trying to help out. the person who did the tune has tons of experience w/ turbo's. i can ask him to just put things back to stock, or the middle tune for now (the one that maxes out to AFR 11.8) for a bit till I do the next upgrade