Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch Shudder / Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Clutch Shudder / Vibration

Sometimes my clutch will begin vibrating very hard, and if I give it just the right amount of gas, the entire car will shudder. The shudder feels almost like wheel hop in terms of how severe.

This problem only happens when I'm trying to take off at a moderate speed, if I go slowly, it won't shudder.

This only happens when I take off from a stop, not when shifting gears at speed.

Usually the way I combat this is to rev the engine a bit higher, because the clutch doesn't really vibrate at higher RPMs and taking off is much smoother. I feel like I'm wearing the clutch faster when I do, though.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this behavior, and also, if you have done anything to fix it. I wish I could describe it better...

I only have like 6800 miles. I read somewhere that clutch vibration is normal for a period of time, until the clutch was broken in. Well, it should be broken in by now.

Is it possible that something isn't tightened down enough? Or could my pressure plate be going or something? I hate taking the car to the dealer and having them mess around with the car a lot and then not being able to do anything about it. Can anyone offer some kind of explanation?
Old 03-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow I would take it to Performance and talk to Tim let them look at it. Is the vibration severe or mild since I have a little vibration but then I am at 83k miles...
Old 03-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Its only severe if I give it a certain amount of gas while letting off the clutch. If I give it less gas, I take off slow and easy. If I give it more gas, I take off smooth and fast. If I give it <medium> gas, it sometimes starts to shudder...

well I suppose it has to do with how fast I let off the clutch pedal too... it's hard to describe but the shudder is a result of a combination of things happening.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:50 PM
walec005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend has the same problem with his 3.5 5MT altima. he has a slight shutter and vibration.

i have seen this happen before on other cars and the problem was a unbalanced clutch. the dealer told my friend its normal. oh btw he has 10k miles on his car.