MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Oil Consumption (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/216736-oil-consumption.html)

aren21 10-12-2006 06:15 PM

Man thats what Im afraid of. Getting a new engine just to find out it still burns oil. That really sucks, 3 engines!!!! Good luck with the lemon law, hope it works out for you.

For everyone else: Has ANYONE got a new engine (revup, or not) that does not consume oil anymore??? Is there hope??

Brocken 10-13-2006 08:37 AM

Here's some replies I just posted in another thread.

Yup, I'm no longer amazed by the incompetence of my dealer or Nissan USA. Two months working on this issue and I still don't have a resolution. Every time I go in they tell me to come back and every time I call Nissan for a solution they tell me to take it in. There's clearly a problem, its losing significantly more than a quart every thousand miles. Pipes are covered in black soot(they never acknowledge that though).
If Nissan would have resolved this promptly I would have been fine but now they've dragged it out so long I don't want to deal with it anymore.
In WA the lemon law states 4 times to fix a non conformity....my 4th visit was a couple weeks ago....
I even sent Nissan a certified letter and no response after 30 days.
Not happy with Nissan.
We have a Murano that's fine but it's definitely discouraged me from purchasing Nissan again.

Yeah, the icing on the cake is we sent a certified letter in a few weeks ago asking for a resolution(as suggested by an atorney). Yesterday afternoon I get a call from some guy at Nissan.... you know what he had the nerve to ask me? He asked if I'd read the manual and noticed the part that says oil consumption is normal.....I wanted to beat him. I kept asking him if more than a quart in less than 1k miles is normal and he just went around in circles. I let him know the industry standard for consumption is quantified at 1 quart per 1k miles and mine is consuming more than that. He kept saying, "the dealer hasn't verified excessive consumption". I pointed out they documented significantly more than 1 quart oil loss per 1k miles. He just kept going around in circles. I finally asked him why he called me if he didn't have a resolution. He didn't have an answer for that. Basically, Nissan has just continued to waste my time and not resolve the problem.
If they would have nipped this in the bud and said they'd fix it when I went in the first couple times(the first call they said they'd have a resolution after the second visit) I would be a happy camper and I would keep this car. But due to their horrid lack of customer service I will never buy another Nissan and I will do my best to get them to buy this piece of crap back.

I'm just posting this up as a warning to other people having problems. Be very careful with Nissan, they haven't shown themselves to be forthcoming with info or competent at solving problems promptly.
Heck, with the Altima recalls it took them 6 months, more than 500 cases and a warning from the NTSB(National Trans Safety Board) before they figured out there was a problem and recalled 80k cars.
Ridiculous.

Brocken 10-13-2006 11:09 AM

I just talked to the state atorney general, it sounds like what would be helpful to those of us with consumption problems if we had letters from people with the same car who have the issue and also letters from those who have non consuming cars. Basically, if Nissan trys to say that "some" consumption is normal we'd have proof that most Z's do not leak any and those that are leaking are in fact a "non-conformity". I would be happy to write a certified(meaning signed and witnessed) letter stating my exact problems for anybody needing it.
I think getting this problem fixed requires us being proactive and making Nissan realize there is something wrong with a number of 350Z's.

If anybody doesn't mind sending me a letter stating they're not consuming any oil please PM me. I would really appreciate it. I'd like to have all the paperwork I might have need when it's time for arbitration. I don't want to be caught unprepared.

stan 10-13-2006 11:40 AM

lets get a list going of people who have oil consumption problems and are willing to write a letter about it.

i'll start

1. stan

Brocken 10-13-2006 12:04 PM

2. Jared

and maybe a list with a couple guys that don't have problems. We have to establish a baseline that the norm is the car does not consume oil and we are the exception.

stan 10-13-2006 12:18 PM

willing to write letters:

Oil Consumption:
1. stan
2. brocken (jared)

No Oil Consumption:

Jonathan Allyn 10-13-2006 12:22 PM

Oil Consumption:
1. stan
2. brocken (jared)
3. Jonathan Allyn (new longblock)

No Oil Consumption:
1.[/QUOTE]

glowz825 10-13-2006 12:35 PM

willing to write letters:

Oil Consumption:
1. stan
2. brocken (jared)
3.glowz825 (Greg)

No Oil Consumption:

davids 10-13-2006 12:47 PM

No oil consumption.
I purchased in April, first oil change mid summer at 4k. About to get a second oil change at 8K.

I run Royal Purple 5w30 (synth).
Car is an '06 base - just an intake.

Bmacs 10-13-2006 12:53 PM

have my z - lets see for how long....

glowz825

Yes it is our friend Jim at the automall.... Scott and JB have been great, I get a new rental every week................

Just picked it up. JB took it home last night and he saw no oil leaks.

I am still going through with the Lemon Law process. The lawyer handling it thinks we should have it resolved with Nissan USA within 30 days. We shall see.

I am taking it on a trip to Greer AZ this weekend. this should test the oil consumption. Lots of mountains, this should have the tach all over the place.
Should get around 1000 miles in 3 days so i will be back at the dealer tuesday..... just for a check up.....

I will keep you posted

Brocken 10-13-2006 01:12 PM

I think they need to be '06's too since mine is an '06.

Chad68 10-13-2006 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bmacs
glowz825

Yes it is our friend Jim at the automall.... Scott and JB have been great, I get a new rental every week................

I am still going through with the Lemon Law process. The lawyer handling it thinks we should have it resolved with Nissan USA within 30 days. We shall see.

I am taking it on a trip to Greer AZ this weekend. this should test the oil consumption. Lots of mountains, this should have the tach all over the place.
Should get around 1000 miles in 3 days so i will be back at the dealer tuesday..... just for a check up.....

I will keep you posted

Sounds like you have more probs with your 06 motor than I do. Did you buy yours in Feburay 2006 as well?

As an update, I have 700 miles on my new short block. Has been kept below 4,000 rpm. The black soot crap on the tips seems to be far less than before but I'm totally baby'in the engine so it's too early to know for sure. It has used 1/2 a quart so far in 700 miles.

There is an oil leak someplace but I have no idea how much of that 1/2 quart loss is due to the leak. It seems to be a mild leak, as I have not seen any drips in the driveway or at least not any type of pools but do see and wipe of drops hanging off the skid pan. I think it only leaks when the engine is running and burns off on the headers and any excess blows off the skid plate because I can smell it at times. Some of the suspension components have a coating of oil, so it's gotta be blowing off on the freeways. It's going in on Monday for that.

shushikiary 10-13-2006 01:25 PM

Yea, i'd write a letter with you guys but mine (and dad's) are 03's.... Just for the anoying fact that lawers will argue anything, make sure they are all 06's.

Brocken 10-13-2006 02:00 PM

Bmacs- do you feel it was critical you retained a lawyer for the case? My wife and I are on the fence about it. The state AG agrees that we have a good case.
The lawyer would take some pressure off us but that would mean we'd be more out of pocket now and have to pay a retainer fee. I'd just hate to not win and on top of being stuck with the car, not get the fee back.
But Nissan is a big corp and has a lot of experience with cases like these.
They're already trying to use the loophole of "look in the manual". I just know they'll be sneaky.

Chad68 10-13-2006 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by usmanasif
As I mentioned in the old thread, I have no oil-related issues; consumption or evaporation. I use Amsoil synthetic.

May I ask why you haven't been checking weekly and topping off instead of waiting until it gets a quart or more too low?

You can't top off the oil level if you are doing a consumption test.

Well you could but your readings would be in favor of your dealer.

glowz825 10-13-2006 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bmacs
glowz825

I will keep you posted

Right on! My car goes in on the 18th so that ought to be interesting:icon38:

Chad68 10-13-2006 07:53 PM

I always wonder with all these 06's getting new blocks or engines, what the hell is it going to do to our resale value?

Buyer: So you had any problems with the car?

Me: Well I did have the shortblock replaced under warranty.

buyer: Oh WOW bye.

raj350z 10-14-2006 07:36 AM

All the ones with the oil troubles, I bet you guys have MT right. The ones with auto have no problem. I having my block change right now and nissan think they found the problem. When the MT cars are in high rev the ECU start to suck some oil out of the engine and blowing back in to the intake. Just enough to not see it burn or smoke, just enough use the oil up little at a time. It's kind of a crazy but I was thinking the PVC valve, they said this. Only Manual trans cause we like to rev the engine high. Nissan working on a new unit now, in the near future there might be a recall on the unit or they might change the ones who come in with just that problem

CLMZ 10-14-2006 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by raj350z
All the ones with the oil troubles, I bet you guys have MT right. The ones with auto have no problem. I having my block change right now and nissan think they found the problem. When the MT cars are in high rev the ECU start to suck some oil out of the engine and blowing back in to the intake. Just enough to not see it burn or smoke, just enough use the oil up little at a time. It's kind of a crazy but I was thinking the PVC valve, they said this. Only Manual trans cause we like to rev the engine high. Nissan working on a new unit now, in the near future there might be a recall on the unit or they might change the ones who come in with just that problem

Interesting indeed.... thanks for the post!

Derratte 10-14-2006 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by raj350z

Did you get this info from Nissan or the Dealer? I have allways wondered about the PCV valve. I wonder then if installing a catch can would eliminate most of the oil entering the combustion chamber? Of course the catch can would not stop the oil consumption, but oil running up through the PCV us much less of a problem than oil blowing by the piston rings. *Fingers crossed*