MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Oil Consumption (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/216736-oil-consumption.html)

sletus 09-13-2006 07:06 AM

Oil Consumption

I took delivery of a 06 in March (It's actually my wife's car) at about 2K miles I added one quart of oil. I thought they haden't filled it when I bought it. At 5K I brought it in for the first service and it was down another 2 quarts of oil. The dealer filled it and asked me to bring it back with another 1,000 miles on it. I did that today and it was over a quart low. The dealer is now calling Nissan Tech to see what the next move is. I know it isn't leaking it. I park every night in my garage and there is never any oil on the floor. Has anyone else had this problem, and what has Nissan done to fix it??

Miko 09-13-2006 07:07 AM

Do you floor it often? I wonder if it'll consume oil if you never pass 3500 RPMs.

sletus 09-13-2006 07:13 AM

No, never floored or abused, but has been over 4K on occasion.

Brocken 09-13-2006 09:13 AM

Check the threads, you'll see several posted about the same issue.
I'm going through the oil consumption checks on my '06.
Taking it in today for my 3rd visit. It's down more than 1 quart in 850 miles.

bofa 09-13-2006 02:26 PM

I got my 06 in July.. two months and 2000 miles later and I'm down two quarts. My test will start Friday. Good luck and keep us updated.

richardho11 09-13-2006 03:02 PM

I also have an 06'. I was down 1 qt. every 1k miles. I only have 5k miles on my car after a 1000 mile test. They had just installed a new short block for me. Currently testing it out.

Durden76 09-13-2006 03:45 PM

I started my oil consumption test about a week ago with my 06 enth. I have just over 9k on the car but it's been losing oil for a while. Good luck and search the other threads regarding this topic, there's some useful info esp. regarding how to deal with your service manager etc.. if you run into resistance.

glowz825 09-13-2006 05:34 PM

I too have lost some oil,about 3/4 of a quart so far:icon22: . I also drive an 06' with about 2400 mi

Chad68 09-14-2006 12:41 AM

God I had no idea there were so many '06's with this problem

Is there ANYBODY with an '06 who is NOT loosing oil??

My short block arrived this week and I'm brining it on on Monday for them to install mine.

Good luck guys

zpwnzu 09-14-2006 09:12 AM

HMMM, just the thread i was looking for. My oil was way to low this last weekend, and the car only has 4500 miles on it. Added a quart, still lower than it should be. Guess i better take it in after reading this . . . i knew something wasnt right.

Miko 09-14-2006 09:29 AM

Its quite horrible to hear some member not even passing 4k RPM and still lose more than a quart per 1000 miles :icon43:

bofa 09-14-2006 06:13 PM

It makes you wonder what's so different about the new short block (or long block in some cases) that it doesn't burn oil. Sounds like Nissan knows there's an issue and how to fix it but maybe they released too many or it's too uncertain as to the extensiveness of the issue to do a voluntary recall. I suppose it wouldn't be a recall until property is damanged or someone is injured or worse. Oh well, I'm in at 10AM tomorrow.

slinksZ 09-14-2006 07:42 PM

Man, I thought it was strange that I lost a court of oil in 2000 miles.I have a 2006 and I am new to the Z so just assumed it was normal. I have about 9500, and do not baby the car. So this may be normal. What do you think?

all_bark 09-14-2006 09:18 PM

I have an 03 and had no problems until just recently.

oil light came on so I stopped at an auto parts store and got quart of oil. put it in and it didn't even register! added another quart and it barley showed on the dipstick. Took it in and now I am doing the oil consumption test.

the problem now is, if they change my engine will I get one of those wonderful 06 engines that burn more than mine?

BTW - I just crossed 21K and its now 4 years old!

Manu 09-15-2006 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chad68
God I had no idea there were so many '06's with this problem

Is there ANYBODY with an '06 who is NOT loosing oil??

My short block arrived this week and I'm brining it on on Monday for them to install mine.

Good luck guys

Unless my 35th anniversary engine is different then yours, my engine is not using any oil. I check the dipstick every week and the oil has never moved at all in the first 5000 miles.

Brocken 09-15-2006 06:29 AM

I was just in for my 3rd visit for oil consumption. Down more than a quart in 900 miles. My car only has 3k miles on it. It's really upsetting to have this problem on a brand new car.
Dealer finally called Nissan tech line who knows that it's a problem, sounds like they know there are lots of the '06 Z's with this problem. Still waiting to hear back from Nissan on a resolution. It's been a month now...not happy with how long it's taking to resolve something that's a known problem.

Ilov350ZEE 09-15-2006 12:48 PM

i wonder if the late 06 have this problem. I bought mine this month Sept. Does it happen on both auto and stick???

usmanasif 09-15-2006 01:55 PM

As I mentioned in the old thread, I have no oil-related issues; consumption or evaporation. I use Amsoil synthetic.

May I ask why you haven't been checking weekly and topping off instead of waiting until it gets a quart or more too low?

rwalton1129 09-15-2006 02:16 PM

I am glad I read this thread. I just bought my Z yesterday and was wondering if I should start this oil consumption test or not. Of course the dealer I bought it from never mentioned anything about this.

ohSIXz 09-15-2006 02:30 PM

ive got 13,500 on my 06.... no issues. but i wouldnt mind testing out those forged internals and high compression pistons nismo has been working on... :D

SteveZ 09-20-2006 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by slinksZ
Man, I thought it was strange that I lost a court of oil in 2000 miles.I have a 2006 and I am new to the Z so just assumed it was normal. I have about 9500, and do not baby the car. So this may be normal. What do you think?

Something's wrong there. Neither my '03 350Z or my '04 G Coupe consume ANY noticeable quantity of oil. Do my own changes around 3500 mile intervals.

12 k on 350Z - never added oil, never needed to
30 k on G Coupe - same

NOT normal, IMHO...

Ztalker 09-20-2006 08:46 AM

sorry....your nissan VQ engine shouldn't be burning any oil at all unlike the RX8and 330i where using a quart every 1000miles is considered normal according to their manufacturer.

Jonathan Allyn 09-20-2006 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by all_bark
the problem now is, if they change my engine will I get one of those wonderful 06 engines that burn more than mine?

Nope they will put in the same engine as before just a different one.

SteveZ 09-20-2006 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ztalker
sorry....your nissan VQ engine shouldn't be burning any oil at all unlike the RX8and 330i where using a quart every 1000miles is considered normal according to their manufacturer.

I agree. I said not noticeable because the wonderful dipstick isn't exactly a precision item ;)

Not burning oil has been a Nissan motor strength when maintained - for example I have a KA24DE motor in my Alty with 117k that has never, still does not, burn any oil at all. THAT has an easily readable dipstick.

A quart per 1000 is outrageous...any consumption between oil changes at 3500-5000 intervals is wrong, but Nissan will not recall an engine for a quart or so every 1000 miles.

VJD 09-20-2006 11:05 AM

'06 Oil Consumption

Wow, I don't feel so alone. Took delivery of my '06 Enthusiast model with manual trans back in Jun '06. Over 2600 miles on it and I've had to add 2 quarts of oil. Actually, and I don't remember the exact mileage, the first time I pulled the dipstick it was down more then a quart. Not a good situation. Probably need to pay a visit to the dealership. Vic

aren21 09-20-2006 03:47 PM

I had a feeling my 06 was burning oil, but at first it was a VERY tiny amount, it was down maybe 1\4 of the way (between H and L). The oil isnt really visible on that top 1/4, but when I touched it, there was some oil there. I checked about 4 times, and got the same reading. They could have at least made a normal dipstick to begin with, it scrapes and hits everything on its way out, and that might wipe on/off some oil from your reading. Ill have to keep an eye on it I guess.

jabaz1 09-20-2006 05:48 PM

There was a segment on the TV news yesterday about Nissan Altimas losing so much oil there have been a number of engine fires as a result of people unaware their engines had little oil left.Nissan apparently is working on the problem but doesn't have a fix yet.They have received letters to check their oil every 800 miles.I assumed it was the 4 cylinder but hearing all the oil loss Z owners are experiencing makes me wonder.

98Ekhatch 09-29-2006 04:52 PM

i have an 06 also...just finished my test they filled it up and told me to come back in 700 miles i came back the y checked the oil it was all the way at the botttom of the dip stick....in 700 miles what the f.......so i left the car with them they were to arange for a rental but the servise guy said that they would have to tear in the engine to see what the problem was first.....thats b/s..so i called nissan and they documented everything..i told them that if they tear into the motor i dont want that same motor back in my car.....i want a new long block...i didnt pay 30gs for a car that the engine had to be torn apart and put back together....also to mention theres scratches all over on side of my car from they were pushing it in the bay....i told the servise mngr that i know my car better than my dick and those scratches were not there and there in the same vicinity where they were pushing it..he said not to worry that they will take care of it...but all i can to is worry i guess....ill keep you guys posted...there seems alot of 06 having a problem with this and nissan doesnt want to reconize it..

SteveZ 09-29-2006 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by jabaz1
There was a segment on the TV news yesterday about Nissan Altimas losing so much oil there have been a number of engine fires as a result of people unaware their engines had little oil left.Nissan apparently is working on the problem but doesn't have a fix yet.They have received letters to check their oil every 800 miles.I assumed it was the 4 cylinder but hearing all the oil loss Z owners are experiencing makes me wonder.

WTF did they do to the VQ since 2004? Neither my 2003 or 2004 G ever burn measureable amounts of oil.

If they have issues in Altys too, Nissan will have to deal with it. How much of their line does not have a VQ35 engine???

Sorry to hear about the lousy experience at the dealer, I would make them buy the d*mn car back and go LLaw if I had to, just for the abuse!

98Ekhatch 10-03-2006 10:27 AM

Found Out Today Im Getting Along Block....and They Gave Me A 2007 Caddy Cts For A Rental.....i Kinda Like The Caddy.....

Bmacs 10-03-2006 11:23 AM

3rd heart

it's back in the shop.....
This will be the last time and then we go lemon law. They are putting a "COMPLETE ENGINE" in. Nissan wants everything back in the crate so they sent a complete engine including cats, and intake. Nothing is remaining from the orginal engine.

For those who are counting:
Factory engine
short block
PCV valve with hoses (Bull$hit try)
now complete replacement.
All this in 8 months...............

I will let you know what happens

:confused: :icon20:

blazefast 10-03-2006 11:31 AM

holy ****! I hope they fix the oil consumption problem for the 07s!

Chad68 10-03-2006 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bmacs
it's back in the shop.....
This will be the last time and then we go lemon law. They are putting a "COMPLETE ENGINE" in. Nissan wants everything back in the crate so they sent a complete engine including cats, and intake. Nothing is remaining from the orginal engine.

For those who are counting:
Factory engine
short block
PCV valve with hoses (Bull$hit try)
now complete replacement.
All this in 8 months...............

I will let you know what happens

:confused: :icon20:

That sucks man.

If or when this short block fails, I will demand a whole new long block and if that fails too or they won't do a long block, thenm it's LL time.

Hopefully this new block will be fine. So far so good but I've only got 250 miles on it so time will tell.

Interlagos Fire 10-03-2006 02:52 PM

I just like to pitch in that me too are going through a consumption test.
My car was towed in this morning at 9k miles for different issues:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....46#post2836846

LIdrew 10-03-2006 04:01 PM

I am just wondering what you guys consider low. I always have my oil changed at the dealer, synthetic every 3k-4k Miles. I just had my oil changed 2k miles ago and the dipstick is showing level at less than half way between H and L. Would any of you consider this consumption? I imagine when they do the oil change it would be at the full Mark.

I have had 2 Major engine leaks on my 03. One required replacing all the engine seals.

KnightRiders79 10-03-2006 05:03 PM

1 quart in 2k is normal for any high revving (06 model) high compression motor. use a better oil like royal purple, redline, motul, or amsoil and it will lessen. i burned 1.5 quarts every 1k with mobil1, i changed to rp and it is <1 quart every 2k now.

this thread interested me b/c my friend has an 06 with 2400 miles on it and it was making a bad rattle noise that would go away after warm up. it started 2 days ago and we thought a bolt rattled out from the mrev2, but then his oil light came on and it was a little below half between the full and low lines. we are concerned b/c that rattle could have been something serious like rod knock.

KnightRiders79 10-03-2006 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by SteveZ
WTF did they do to the VQ since 2004? Neither my 2003 or 2004 G ever burn measureable amounts of oil.

If they have issues in Altys too, Nissan will have to deal with it. How much of their line does not have a VQ35 engine???

Sorry to hear about the lousy experience at the dealer, I would make them buy the d*mn car back and go LLaw if I had to, just for the abuse!

well i remember my buddys spec v had his 1st cat break up and get sucked through the egr valve. it screwed up his rings and his oil was bone dry in like 500 miles. im thinking that since the revup motor has the egr built into the exhaust cam, maybe that has somthing to do with it.

secondz 10-03-2006 07:34 PM

I have a 2006 Base with no mods. I have 2600 miles on the car and I just checked ny oil again (after reading this thread) and noticed that I was about 2/3 quart low. Is this unusual or something to be concerned about?

oilleakyZ 10-04-2006 06:44 AM

oil consumption test

Yep, I'm having the oil consumption problem also. I noticed the oil pressure was extremely low at 4800 miles...took it into the dealership and discovered it was 2.5 qts low. I started the oil consumption test and am required to take the car back every 500 miles. The thing that kills me is that the mechanic called me and suggested that the problem was my fault for not having had the oil changed at 3000 miles. I told him he was crazy if he thought that it was normal for a car to run out of oil withing the first 5000 miles. Luckily the service manager agreed with me.

RBlover69 10-04-2006 07:32 AM

im good...must be ur rev up guys,...lol..my oil cosum is so modest i went for a oil change and the tech looked at the oil and said....um do u drive this thing lol. Gotta love synthetic oil man.

vchoward2 10-04-2006 05:15 PM

i have a 04 350Z and It is also burning oil. Could it be the type of oil someone is using or maybe because someone has modifications done that maybe are not agreeing with the factory ecu. I will be getting me car tuned at technosquare maybe this might solve the problem nissan has no idea.

SteveZ 10-04-2006 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by vchoward2
i have a 04 350Z and It is also burning oil. Could it be the type of oil someone is using or maybe because someone has modifications done that maybe are not agreeing with the factory ecu. I will be getting me car tuned at technosquare maybe this might solve the problem nissan has no idea.

Miles?

RBlover69 10-04-2006 07:14 PM

well im using moile 1 10w30 and i monitor m oil and its nominal so...im at a alost for u brotha.

RBlover69 10-04-2006 07:15 PM

well im using moile 1 10w30 and i monitor m oil and its nominal so...im at a alost for u brotha .Hopefully we find out

Durden76 10-05-2006 12:59 PM

More and more Rev-up engines are being reported as consuming oil every day, acording to my service manager. I just had my first measurement done this morning and the verdict is 0.8 qts consumed after 800mi.. That equals a quart every 1000mi. Before measuring, the service manager told me to go 3k before bringing it in again. After thaey measured, he said I better bring it back in 1k otherwise I'd probably run it dry by the time I got another 3k on the odometer. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.

aren21 10-05-2006 01:04 PM

^interesting.

Durden76 10-05-2006 01:06 PM

Just to clear things up a bit for everyone, ECU adjustments to mods or brand/type of oil are not the culprit of oil consumption. This is a manufacturing problem from Nissan that they ARE aware of. Some of the older style 287hp engines are consuming oil but it seems that most of these have 50k plus mi. on them. The new rev-up 300hp engines are vastly more affected by the oil consumption problem, and many of these engines are burning/consuming oil from day one. I discovered that I had a problem before I hit 8k, and I'm sure I was consuming oil prior to that. Bottom line is that this is a manufacturing issue, not a result of mods or changing oil type.

RockerNJ 10-05-2006 03:27 PM

1400 miles on my '06 Touring and it's already over a quart low.

ROGERD 10-05-2006 04:11 PM

Oil Use

My 06 with 5900 miles on it has gone thru 4 quarts of oil so far. Not driven hard and broken in with care.

glowz825 10-05-2006 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by RockerNJ
1400 miles on my '06 Touring and it's already over a quart low.

that sounds like mine .Italked to the service advisor and he said it was the 5w-30 that comes in our engines from the factory:icon22: I think he is wrong :rolleyes: He also went on to say it was because it was a high performance high compression engine:confused: So I replied,how come there are others that dont burn oil....he replied I dont know. Then I went on to say,I used to own a 01' celica gts which has 11.5 to 1 compression ratio and it did not burn a drop! He sighed and said that is not a high performance engine:icon43: I said, OK:icon22:Whatever you apparently do not know what you are talking about:icon20: then I just hung up the phone:mad: ohwell