MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Damn! Over Filled Oil! (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/250075-damn-over-filled-oil.html)

plastiketa 02-16-2007 08:14 PM

Damn! Over Filled Oil!

I over filled my oil by about a quart, and realized it after going through a tank. After checking the engine out, I noticed a bit of oil around the spark plugs (driver's side only), and I drained the oil and put in the right amount.

But now the oil psi meter is bouncing around (even after a long warmup) starting at 90 then going to 120 at hard acceleration and eventually dropping to 50-60 and then it repeats. Also, there's still a bit of oil around the plugs, but faint.

I'm heading to a shop on Monday but I'm wondering what problems I should be expecting and how long it may take to fix.

rythex 02-16-2007 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by plastiketa
I over filled my oil by about a quart, and realized it after going through a tank. After checking the engine out, I noticed a bit of oil around the spark plugs (driver's side only), and I drained the oil and put in the right amount.

But now the oil psi meter is bouncing around (even after a long warmup) starting at 90 then going to 120 at hard acceleration and eventually dropping to 50-60 and then it repeats. Also, there's still a bit of oil around the plugs, but faint.

I'm heading to a shop on Monday but I'm wondering what problems I should be expecting and how long it may take to fix.

I wouldn't worry about it.. your engine is still running. :P

plastiketa 02-16-2007 10:06 PM

my check engine light didnt go off, which im happy about, but with the oil around the plug and the meter going haywire, it wouldnt hurt to get it looked at (but i guess it would hurt the wallet, *ouch*).

anyway, any gear-heads want to chime in???

plastiketa 02-17-2007 10:07 AM

ttt

Eazzy 02-17-2007 02:59 PM

Chill ---Are u maybe scutinizing the Oil Gage a little too much ? And what was the norm, u are now just noticing ? Let ur motor cool and clean it up with some spray Electic contact cleaner, then keep an eye on it. Seldomly does an over fill cause major probs other than a little extra crankcase pressure (not oil press)that tends to overwork ur CC vent system (PCV)

Dont open the wallet just yet

gothchick 02-28-2007 07:52 AM

Also, after you clean the oil leakage with solvent, you can let it dry - then sprinkle baby powder around any suspected areas and you'll see *exactly* where the leak is coming from (if there is one).

VO... 02-28-2007 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
Chill ---Are u maybe scutinizing the Oil Gage a little too much ?

+1. You've probably never noticed the gauge before, but have been noticing it more since the mishap. It's normal for it to bounce up 10 120, then back down to 60 during lower RPMs. It will even go lower once your out of gear and idle.;)