MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Is my engine seized?? (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/584588-is-my-engine-seized.html)

mrathell 09-16-2013 06:25 AM

Is my engine seized??

I have a 2005 G35 coupe automatic with 60K miles on it.

Fo the past several months my G has been sitting because of an issue with the immobilizer/NATS/CAN systems. The car cranks but doesn't start. I finally used Uprev to disable my NATS this past weekend but I couldn't start it.

So like I said, I've cranked it a couple of dozen times over the past few months while trying to troubleshoot the NATS problem and it cranked really easy.

The last couple of times I cranked it I did notice that it started making a dry metal rub sound but I assumed that was the rusty parts like the a/c compressor (wisconsin saltly winters).

But yesterday I went to go start the car but it wouldn't turn over, so of course I think the battery is too low, so I charge it. Unfortunately the same reaction after charge.

Next I put my wifes car battery in there with the same result and the same result with my car battery.

So now I'm thinking the starter is fried, so I take it off and run it up to Autozone but it test good.

Then I decide to put a breaker bar on the main pulley and pushed in the closkwise direction (to the right/towards the drivers side) and it wouldn't budge.

Is it possible for the engine to seize from just cranking it?

POS VETT 09-16-2013 06:29 AM

That does sound like the engine has seized. I doubt it's caused by not the no-start problem. All I could think of was a valve might have dropped.

mrathell 09-16-2013 06:42 AM

My assumption was that maybe one of the connecting rod bearings seized to the crankshaft.

I just never thought that either of those scenarios would/could happen at such low revolutions fom just cranking the engine and the engine temp not even really increasing because it wasn't running.

iideadeyeii 09-16-2013 06:45 AM

Oil up the cylinders through the spark plugs and try to manually crank with them removed. Best of luck

mrathell 09-16-2013 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii (Post 10223521)
Oil up the cylinders through the spark plugs and try to manually crank with them removed. Best of luck

I will give that a try tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

- I will remove all of th spark plugs.
- Put about a cap full of oil in each cylinder.
- let is sit for about an hour.
- then put the breaker bar on and see if it turns (with the spark plugs still out).

djamps 09-16-2013 07:24 AM

flooded with enough fuel to hydro lock? pull plugs and try cranking again.

terrasmak 09-16-2013 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by djamps (Post 10223544)

That would be my first thing to try

mrathell 09-16-2013 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by djamps (Post 10223544)

Ahhhhh, I get what you're saying. Due to the constant cranking with no spark, fuel was just being dumped in there, so eventually it behaved the same as a hydro lock.

I'll pull those plugs tonight and give it a try.

superchargedg 09-16-2013 02:03 PM

dont use regular oil just use some of marvell mystery oil....it works but will smoke like hell till its burnt out.

mrathell 09-16-2013 06:42 PM

Ok so I removed 5 of the 6 spark plugs. The middle plug on the passenger side will not budge. I tried it with a breaker bar and then resorted to the impact wrench to no avail.

So now I have it soaking overnight in a pool of Liquid Wrench penetrating oil.

Hopefully in the morning it will come out.

I'm assuming this cylinder is the cause of the reason the engine will not turn over.

I took the spark plug out about 2 months ago with no issues and the car hasn't ran so I don't know what would of caused for it to seize up in such a short time.

djamps 09-16-2013 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by superchargedg (Post 10223938)
dont use regular oil just use some of marvell mystery oil....it works but will smoke like hell till its burnt out.

+1 on MMO. **** is magic.

But yea, be careful with that seized plug...if you break it your in a world of hurt with those deep tubes. Next time u install plugs use a sh!tload of anti seize.

mrathell 09-17-2013 04:42 PM

So it soaked overnight in penetrating oil overnight and most of the next day. when I made it home I first tried it with a hand ratchet, no luck. so then I tried it with the impact wrench (electric), no luck again. The impact began getting really hot after a couple of minutes of constant impact, so I stopped.

So now I have it soaking in PB Blast. I'll leave it overnight again.

Given that this may be the hydrostatic lock, I will remove the fuel injector this weekend to relieve the pressure if the spark plug doesn't come out tomorrow.

str8dum1 09-20-2013 09:10 AM

impact on a spark plug? yikes... if it does come out, its probably going to bring the threads on the head with it

Skrilla 09-23-2013 04:08 AM

What ended up happening