MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   weird noise/feeling when braking hard (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/58720-weird-noise-feeling-when-braking-hard.html)

toykilla 01-29-2004 07:26 AM

weird noise/feeling when braking hard

i noticed this the other day and im not sure whats going on here but would like some inputs.. i have lowered my car with Eibachs, and have 19x8.5 volk gt7 with 245/25 rubber up front

Under heavy braking there is something going on that shouldnt be there. A strange noise can be heard .. sounds something like a mixture of rubbing, grinding, and/or a spring going "boing!" (lol not sure how to explain that sound).

Also i can feel this through the brake pedal.

I played in the car for a few minutes to dissect the problem. It appears to only happen when the front suspension gets compressed during braking..I tried braking hard through left and right turns and it does it still. but so if i am going pretty slow and hit the brakes, stopping the car immediately, the sound is not there.

I am not sure if it is the cold weather doing this, something has come loose, something is rubbing, or what.

i am *hoping* this is tire rubbing something.

please help!

GaryM05 01-29-2004 10:13 AM

Do you have plenty of pad compund left on your brake pads? A bare backing plate rubbing against your rotor under braking would definitely make a rubbing/grinding sound. If this only happens when you brake (and not when you turn without braking) then I wouldn't think that this would be your tires rubbing against something.

Keep us posted with what you find.

Gary

toykilla 01-29-2004 11:35 AM

i put new pads on about a month ago.. so its not the pads

again it is only under heavy braking when the front suspension is fully compressed

toykilla 01-30-2004 05:16 AM

please!

AmyCroft 02-03-2004 09:12 PM

The sound of Brakes - Is it like the sound of String Instrament?

Originally posted by toykilla
please!
Wld350Z had a sound like a guitar, at low speed.

It is the ABS unit in Driver side front, under plastic cover.

Fortunate that Wld350Z hit the brakes hard one night, and sound went away. He has 19" and Toyo's

PM him and He can tell you more.

He was scheduled for ABS replacement $4200 NNA aproved, and
it went away....... One odd user had a rock in tooth of wheel sensor. Cause similar problem. Consult II read O.K. after rock removed - the twang sound at low speed went away.

Cheers Amy :) - :)

Cux350z 12-29-2005 08:56 PM

any update on this problem? im having the same issue. it had happened before but went away a few months ago but now its back and seems to be staying.

i can feel it in the brake pedal, makes that spring/boing sound too.

i dont feel a loss in braking pwr, rear pads look kinda worn, i think they are originals with 33k miles (replacing them tomorrow, let see if it helps)

Cux350z 12-30-2005 07:14 PM

bump
its getting worse

at one pt while stopped i hit the brakes and it made the noise and an additiional noise that sounds like a pump

it doesnt make the noise when the clutch is engaged and in gear

C-Dub 06-10-2013 11:58 AM

Yeah. Anyone know what's up here? I get the "boing, boing, boing" noise and I can feel it through the brake pedal. I just replaced the pads and rotors. Maybe I did something wrong? Does it have to do with the brake fluid?

xiaolinmonk 06-10-2013 12:01 PM

Because "boing boing boing" is helpful. Lol.

Ermmm rub/ grind noise could be because of warped rotors. Or griding/clicking could be from dry axle. Not sure of the other noise you are describing. I actually had both a dry axle and warped rotors. Greasing up the axle eliminated the clicking noise and replacing rear rotors got rid of the grinding noise.

thrawn33 10-12-2015 06:53 AM

did anyone eve figure out what was wrong? I have an 04 350z and I am getting the boing boing sound. I have replaced the brakes, rotors and control arms (due to bad bushings).

zprz 10-17-2015 10:27 PM

I have a feeling these guys are just turning on their ABS. That or it's an air bubble.

Za350ck 10-23-2015 06:17 PM

When you did your brake pads did you have the rotors machined or get new rotors?

RawrXTC 03-17-2019 09:13 PM

Has anyone figured out what the cause is? My 06 just started doing this too. The pads were changed about 8 months ago and it was fine but about 3 months ago it started having the same symptoms as everyone else here. It went away for a few weeks then came back.

Ive removed the pads and regreased them and check for anything weird but everything looks fine. Put it all together and it’s the same.

If anyone has a fix it is greatly appreciated.