MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   New Owners (https://my350z.com/forum/new-owners-397/)
-   -   350Z Clutch... (https://my350z.com/forum/new-owners/476276-350z-clutch.html)

GameDC5 02-22-2010 01:22 AM

350Z Clutch...

I have driven a G35 (manual) and absolutely hated the clutch. It's extremely stiff and uncomfortable, almost like a leg workout. Right now I have an RSX-S and it's a dream driving on that clutch compared to the G...so...

How does Z clutch compare to the G35? I figured it'd be exactly the same which will probably stop me from further looking into purchasing one.

JR350z08 02-22-2010 02:26 AM

idk... call cars are different and on the 07 and up Nissan change there clutch drive system a little bit. But i would say its gonna be about the same...

davidv 02-22-2010 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by GameDC5 (Post 8163283)
I figured it'd be exactly the same which will probably stop me from further looking into purchasing one.

OK. THanks for the update.

F34RL355 02-22-2010 05:20 AM

the rsx is faster anyways

BonesZ33 02-22-2010 05:24 AM

rsx will win in a race

Blu Hvn 02-22-2010 06:03 AM

What year car did you drive. I have an '05 Z and find the clutch very comfortable. based on what I've read here I believe the clutches in the '03-'04s are stiffer.

halfass872 02-22-2010 07:14 AM

RSX FTMFW!!!

Keep your RSX, it's FAR better then a Z, and a heck of alot faster too!!

<------------Wonders why we even bother having different sections of the forum for SPECIFIC and GENERAL topics, when non new owners continuously post questions in the NEW OWNERS section that DO NOT belong here!

davidv 02-22-2010 07:55 AM

Why does the term "New Owners" baffle members? Seems self-explanatory to me.

cdoxp800 02-22-2010 08:05 AM

The RSX-S clutch feels different because of the lack of TQ. The VQ needs a higher clamping force because of the greater Tq.
It's really simple Math

RSX-s
Torque : 142 lb-ft @ 6000 rpm('02-'04), 143 lb-ft @ 7000 rpm('05+)

350z (2007)
Torque lb-ft at RPM: 268 / 4800

pcharoe1 02-22-2010 08:06 AM

I have an 06, test drove an 05 before I purchased mine. The 05 clutch was some what heavier than my 06. I like it stiffer though.

duro78 02-22-2010 08:15 AM

should of left out you owned an rsx. 75% of the thread is gonna be about corny rsx comments which have all been said thousands of times

halfass872 02-22-2010 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by duro78 (Post 8163839)
75% of the thread is gonna be about corny rsx comments which have all been said thousands of times

RSX>Chuck Norris

davidv 02-22-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by cdoxp800 (Post 8163816)
The RSX-S clutch feels different because of the lack of TQ. The VQ needs a higher clamping force because of the greater Tq.
It's really simple Math

RSX-s
Torque : 142 lb-ft @ 6000 rpm('02-'04), 143 lb-ft @ 7000 rpm('05+)

350z (2007)
Torque lb-ft at RPM: 268 / 4800

That’s 140 pounds of torque until VTEC kicks in. Then it doubles!

Jennifer 2 02-22-2010 11:33 AM

The feel and feedback of the G and Z clutch pedal are very similar, and yes, most people who drive my Z for the first time find the clutch operation a little awkward. In reality, it’s not the stiffness of the clutch, but the unusually high engagement point, which throws off even the most experienced clutch pushers on their first test drive.

To start the engine, one must push the clutch pedal all the way to the firewall (about 8 inches or so) to engage the ignition interlock switch. However, once underway, you only have to push the pedal less than half that amount to fully disengage the clutch disk. This action is markedly different than the Honda experience, but only takes a week or so to master.

I’m not surprised by the lack of sympathy expressed by the male members resident here. After all, from the timbre and bluster of the typical male posting on My350Z, one could easily envision them to be Herculean creatures. So powerful and strong, that no clutch pedal on god’s green earth could ever test them. Nevertheless, if a mere slip of a thing like me can handle a Z clutch so can you, don’t let this prevent you from enjoying this exceptional car.

halfass872 02-22-2010 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2 (Post 8164405)
The feel and feedback of the G and Z clutch pedal are very similar, and yes, most people who drive my Z for the first time find the clutch operation a little awkward. In reality, it’s not the stiffness of the clutch, but the unusually high engagement point, which throws off even the most experienced clutch pushers on their first test drive.

To start the engine, one must push the clutch pedal all the way to the firewall (about 8 inches or so) to engage the ignition interlock switch. However, once underway, you only have to push the pedal less than half that amount to fully disengage the clutch disk. This action is markedly different than the Honda experience, but only takes a week or so to master.

I’m not surprised by the lack of sympathy expressed by the male members resident here. After all, from the timbre and bluster of the typical male posting on My350Z, one could easily envision them to be Herculean creatures. So powerful and strong, that no clutch pedal on god’s green earth could ever test them. Nevertheless, if a mere slip of a thing like me can handle a Z clutch so can you, don’t let this prevent you from enjoying this exceptional car.

You are woman, hear you roar!!!!!!!!!:dunno:

Are you really seriously that lazy that you trained yourself to only press the clutch half way down when shifting gears? Why are we (men) chest pounding cavemen because we choose to push the clutch all the way to the floor as it was designed from the factory? Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure you are gonna prematurely wear out your clutch by pressing it only half way down to shift gears.

Jennifer 2 02-22-2010 12:11 PM

With the common diaphragm spring clutch pressure plate. Once you push the pedal far enough to disengage the clutch, the clutch disk and transmission input shaft basically stop being driven by the engine flywheel. Pushing the pedal beyond this point just over-centers the spring fingers and does not provide any additional disengagement. Pushing the pedal all the way to the floor boards does provide an excellent leg strengthening exercise, but has no bearing on the longevity of the drive train.

My dad was a mechanic, and I remember him fabricating any number of clutch pedal stops, for various cars. This was to improve the function and speed of clutch/shifting action for sporty cars.

GameDC5 02-22-2010 03:45 PM

Thanks for the respectful and helpful opinions from the few that gave them.

The rest of you I see are internet heroes, but thanks for wasting my time and more importantly your time posting in here. I guess I didn't realize the RSX was a touchy subject around here.

halfass872 02-22-2010 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by GameDC5 (Post 8165131)
I guess I didn't realize the RSX was a touchy subject around here.

It's not a touchy subject, you made it such. It's actually an on going joke here because ever kid that owns or has owned or has driven in an RSX gets on here and talks about how much better/smoother it shifts, and how much more quality of a car it is compared to every other car ever made...... EVENTHOUGH they just traded it for a rear wheel drive non-cable shift Z with twice the torque, and a non econobox suspension and is then dissapointed because it doesn't feel like their beloved fwd RSX beast!!

And you blindly and innocently fell perfectly into that stereotype with your textbook first post in this thread!:rolleyes:

LMAO at a stiff clutch in a SPORTS CAR being a deal breaker!!:icon22: Get ya an auto, it will still be better then your RSX, and you will never ever have to use your left leg to drive again!!

SatchScream 02-22-2010 04:41 PM

The clutch is not that hard to push down...

CSF 02-22-2010 05:06 PM

The clutch isn't that hard. Like mentioned already, the high engagement point is what throws some people off. You'll get used to it or you can make a clutch stop (a.k.a. D-wolf mod).