MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   NISMO 350Z (https://my350z.com/forum/nismo-350z-476/)
-   -   My Parents Think I Should Sell My Car (https://my350z.com/forum/nismo-350z/499404-my-parents-think-i-should-sell-my-car.html)

Lento 09-05-2010 12:33 PM

My Parents Think I Should Sell My Car

So my parents think I should sell my car and get a "nice" honda civic. Something that is practical and that I can use in the snow. They think the Nismo gives off a bad image or something as well.

I love my car and have simply made sacrafices over the last 3 years, taking the train during snow storms or catching rides with friends. However, this year in December the warranty is up, its going to need its 30,000 mile service, and probably 4 new tires. If I was ever going to sell it now would be the time.

My parents think its a "Playboy" car or something and tell me it turns girls off because I'm such a "nice" kid and that car makes them think your a player. I tell them its more likely that I'm just ugly and untactful, but I digress.

I'm really torn because I respect my parents opinions but I love my car. Yes it is extreamly unpractical and I refuse to park it anywere but an end spot, but on the other hand I take such pride in it. I thouroughly enjoy driving it and the idea of owning something unique that is a relative bang for the buck gives me a good feeling. Getting in my car after school or work is like a small reward at the end of each day.

Like I said I'm torn. I'm just trying to brainstorm and maybe get some of your opinions. I can imagine that many of you have had to make the decision of a 2 seat RWD car and switching it for some sort of practical reason. Having 2 cars is out of the question for me. I'm 24 years old and simply do not want to have 2 cars to take care of.

I can't seem to find a price for the trade in value of the Nismo for 2007 or 2008. Mine is a 2007 with roughly 30,000 miles. Its got some minor scratches and part of the front splitter is cracked a little from hitting a cone.

If I were to get a new car it would probably be a civic. As they are extreamly practical and pretty fun to drive comparable to other small cars. Its like $17,000 for a regular civic and 23,000 for an Si.

I paid about $38,000 for my Nismo new, so I know I will be taking a bath if I were to trade it but I'm not certian how much, and if its worth it.

I know this was a long post, but if you got through it and have any suggestions or war stories of your own, any feedback would be great.

davidv 09-05-2010 12:36 PM

And the car is in who's name?

Lento 09-05-2010 12:39 PM

It's in my name.

I worked co-ops at school to pay for it, but I still live at home and am starting a full time job with an accounting frim in January.

Maybe my parents are just trying kick my ass out of the house, and figure this is the first step in "growing up".... getting rid of my sports car for a practical sedan..... Who knows.... They keep bringing it up every other week or so

I just read the post below mine of a Nismo going for $18,000. If I got $30,000 for it that would be one thing but $18,000 forget about it.

marques1 09-05-2010 12:40 PM

I'm assuming you are young since your parents are in the equation. One, why do you need a practical car at your age? Do you have kids or a lot of things to lug around. Two, the car makes you look like a play boy and your a nice guy, i will hold my comment on this one. Three, are you in college or have college paid for already? four, how much do you make yearly i have a feeling you work for your car and nothing else and have no capital freed up. Also, how old are you.

^^^ i see you answered some of the questions can you answer the rest, thanks.

verdict. 09-05-2010 12:41 PM

Keep it. Your trade in value won't be much... probably around 15-20k.

Buy a beater for the winter.

kacz07 09-05-2010 12:42 PM

ExtreMELY long and drawn out post. If you want it, keep it. If you don't, sell it. Your parents are swingers, too. Why do they care if you're a player?

Lento 09-05-2010 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by marques1 (Post 8638487)
I'm assuming you are young since your parents are in the equation. One, why do you need a practical car at your age? Do you have kids or a lot of things to lug around. Two, the car makes you look like a play boy and your a nice guy, i will hold my comment on this one. Three, are you in college or have college paid for already? four, how much do you make yearly i have a feeling you work for your car and nothing else and have no capital freed up. Also, how old are you.

^^^ i see you answered some of the questions can you answer the rest, thanks.

I can fit everything in my car including my hockey equiptment using the passanger seat. So I think its practical.

I think my parents might be using the playboy thing as a distraction from me driving to fast in it, and because my town if filled with old people with nothing else to do but ***** and moan, it makes my car an easy target for ridicule. Maybe they think that refelcts poorly on them.

The fact of the matter is that I am only 24 driving a "nice" car. Stupid/naive people think its like $70,000 and that my parents bought it for me. I think my parents might feel like people think they spoil their kids or something.

And they kind of do, I mean they paid for my entire schooling and I was able to buy the car because I don't have to pay loans. Otherwise it would have been impossible.

I'm going to be working for PricewaterhouseCoopers, an accounting firm in Boston. Starting salary is roughly $50,000 for a new hire. I'm living at home and reciently just broke up with a girlfriend I was planning on moving in with so right now I'm kind of saying to myself screw it. My car is one of the few things that makes me happy right now why should I toss that too.

I really dont have much extra cash lying around until I start work. I paid for the car in full so I don't have to worry about payments, just maintenance which runs me about $3,500 a year between oil changes, car washing supplies and gas.

Lento 09-05-2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by kacz07 (Post 8638492)
ExtreMELY long and drawn out post. If you want it, keep it. If you don't, sell it. Your parents are swingers, too. Why do they care if you're a player?

^Lol really I didn't know that. I did see men with mustaches hanging around lately though.... Must be the reason

Actually my father made a comment that made me laugh when suggested I sell my car.

He said, "If you sell your car you can use mine whenever you want"

He drives a 2008 E92 M3. I was like how is that any back up to your "you don't want to look like a playboy argument"

Sorry It was so long and drawn out. I'm trying to get some advice and vent at the same time.

marques1 09-05-2010 12:55 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^ your in a good position. Keep the car screw what everyone else thinks. Even if you were to sell the car you would lose a good amount of money, no point in selling. Start saving for a house now!!

Z_HighSpeed 09-05-2010 01:02 PM

24?

"playboy" ???

listen bro, keep the Z, bang hoes, disregard haters and live it up.

Ghost 350z 09-05-2010 01:04 PM

Are you a 24 yo mama's boy???? Why the f*ck is it even a question?

Lento 09-05-2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost 350z (Post 8638519)
Are you a 24 yo mama's boy???? Why the f*ck is it even a question?

^Yup, she feeds me and washes my clothes, and I don't have to pay rent while living at home.

I have enought that I can rent a place, but I figure why waste the money. I hate the bar/club scene so I'm not really trying to bring girls back to my place every weekend.

I have met all my girlfriends though friends, and I figure if it got to the point we couldn't be alone I would just go out and rent my own place.

Plus if the girl doesn't like my family I'm probably not going to like her..... Unless shes got some D cups swinging around, but thats slim to none.

0jiggy0 09-05-2010 01:16 PM

Stupidest topic ever. If you have to ask a bunch of random *******s(myself included.) What we think about your parents telling you what to do, you need to grow a pair. Do they tell you how to dress also?

BonesZ33 09-05-2010 01:20 PM

I moved to NC where it never snows... therefore no reason to sell the Z :)

Lento 09-05-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0 (Post 8638529)
Stupidest topic ever. If you have to ask a bunch of random *******s(myself included.) What we think about your parents telling you what to do, you need to grow a pair. Do they tell you how to dress also?

For example if your avatar moved in I would probably sell my car.

Its not stupid. I know others have had to sell their car for different reasons. I am curious to see if they feel they made the right decision.

I mean if I were to sell my car I would never have to worry about snow or carrying more than 2 people.

If it wern't for my parents I would have nothing so I owe them the respect to at least entertain the idea. You can go F' yourself

2004Black350z 09-05-2010 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by BonesZ33 (Post 8638531)
I moved to NC where it never snows... therefore no reason to sell the Z :)

u do realize this past winter or fall we had terrible snow right?

g35sedan5at 09-05-2010 01:50 PM

wait what? i think everyones missed the fact that the OP's dad drives an e92 M3....i say sell the Z and drive his car around all day, lol

jk

BonesZ33 09-05-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z (Post 8638557)
u do realize this past winter or fall we had terrible snow right?

You call two instances of a couple inches that melt within 12 hours terrible snow? Sounds like you have not lived anywhere north of NC. The only thing terrible about the snow here is that there are never any plows on the road clearing the snow. The sun works faster than the trucks. In new york the snow does not melt until march

dbrown 09-05-2010 02:00 PM

Id sell it and buy a 370z lol

marques1 09-05-2010 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by dbrown (Post 8638579)
Id sell it and buy a 370z lol

remind me to not ever hire you as a financial planner, lol.