MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous Oxide (https://my350z.com/forum/nitrous-oxide-181/)
-   -   What is a -4an adapter? (https://my350z.com/forum/nitrous-oxide/442043-what-is-a-4an-adapter.html)

rtiid22 06-23-2009 12:32 PM

What is a -4an adapter?

Hey guys, I was just making a list of everything I need for nitrous and adding up the costs and as I was looking for a Nitrous Pressure Gauge I saw some that say "with -4an adapter". What is that?

While we're talking about Pressure Gauges I'll also like to know if they're typically made to be inline after the valve so it reads zero until the bottle is opened?

Thanks.

JasonZ-YA 06-23-2009 12:40 PM

well, you dont give us much info, but to help ya out, it will be an AN fitting like this....

-4 is the size.

https://secure.pawengineparts.com/Im...Large/8087.jpg

they make different types and you used the word "adapter" so it can be one you need that converts/adapts from another threading type to a -4 AN.

Do you need male end? female end?

there are tons of sites that sell them, just search google once you know exactly what your looking for.
-J

BiGGD198 06-23-2009 12:42 PM

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...p?idproduct=26

if your gona buy the digital nitrous gauge, i dont believe they come with this adapter, but you screw this onto your nitrous bottle and the sensor for the gauge goes into that whole and you continue the nitrous line from the other end.

i used the adapter from my manual gauge that i got from the zex kit, just unscrewed the gauge and screw in the sensor...but thats what they mean by the adapter and -4an...its the size of the thread.

Dan

rtiid22 06-23-2009 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA (Post 7475797)
well, you dont give us much info, but to help ya out, it will be an AN fitting like this....

-4 is the size.

https://secure.pawengineparts.com/Im...Large/8087.jpg

they make different types and you used the word "adapter" so it can be one you need that converts/adapts from another threading type to a -4 AN.

Do you need male end? female end?

there are tons of sites that sell them, just search google once you know exactly what your looking for.
-J

Lol.. yeah, I had no clue what supporting information to give.

I'm thinking of going with a ZEX Model Specific kit for VQ35HR along with other add-ons but I want to have a Nitrous Pressure Gauge on the A-Pillar and I want it to read zero until I open the bottle....

The whole adapter thing is to mount the pressure gauge to the bottle right?

rtiid22 06-23-2009 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by BiGGD198 (Post 7475815)
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...p?idproduct=26

if your gona buy the digital nitrous gauge, i dont believe they come with this adapter, but you screw this onto your nitrous bottle and the sensor for the gauge goes into that whole and you continue the nitrous line from the other end.

i used the adapter from my manual gauge that i got from the zex kit, just unscrewed the gauge and screw in the sensor...but thats what they mean by the adapter and -4an...its the size of the thread.

Dan

Alright, I got it. Thanks for clearing that up!

JasonZ-YA 06-23-2009 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by rtiid22 (Post 7475857)
Lol.. yeah, I had no clue what supporting information to give.

I'm thinking of going with a ZEX Model Specific kit for VQ35HR along with other add-ons but I want to have a Nitrous Pressure Gauge on the A-Pillar and I want it to read zero until I open the bottle....

The whole adapter thing is to mount the pressure gauge to the bottle right?

cool......i knew someone with a kit would chime in..........

have fun with the nos...

-J

rtiid22 06-23-2009 01:09 PM

You guys know of anyone using a nitrous push button instead of a window switch? I'm thinking of using that to save myself over $150.

BiGGD198 06-23-2009 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by rtiid22 (Post 7475925)
You guys know of anyone using a nitrous push button instead of a window switch? I'm thinking of using that to save myself over $150.

im sure threefivezero will give some feedback on this topic, but if im not mistaken i talked to him about it a while ago....and its either he used it for a little or knew someone, but hes got alot of experience on nitrous.

for a $150, i wouldnt risk a problem occuring, the window switch is a dream come true for nitrous. its more safety for that "oh $hit" moment, just incase you push the button on accident in low rpms. its easy to hook up, and if you have questions im more than welcome to help ya out since ive gotten my experience for people on the forums.

if ya got any questions, your more than welcome to ask me...i feel i should contribute more and give some of the other guys a break from having questions thrown at them all the time...haha :icon17:

garym 06-23-2009 03:18 PM

Even if the window switch cost $250, it's well worth the cost.
If you miss a shift, or hit the rev-limiter with nitrous on, that window switch will save you the cost of a new motor.

Don't run Nitrous without some kind of RPM/Nitrous control.

rtiid22 06-23-2009 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by garym (Post 7476419)
Even if the window switch cost $250, it's well worth the cost.
If you miss a shift, or hit the rev-limiter with nitrous on, that window switch will save you the cost of a new motor.

Don't run Nitrous without some kind of RPM/Nitrous control.

Hey garym, I saw your original thread where you showed off your stealth nitrous install and I was wondering, does that bottle not fit perfectly straight?

I'm on quite a budget so i was hoping I could just squeeze my hand behind the passenger seat and open the valve by hand so it'll be optimal for me to position it straight forward.. (brain storming here)

garym 06-24-2009 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by rtiid22 (Post 7476608)
Hey garym, I saw your original thread where you showed off your stealth nitrous install and I was wondering, does that bottle not fit perfectly straight?

I'm on quite a budget so i was hoping I could just squeeze my hand behind the passenger seat and open the valve by hand so it'll be optimal for me to position it straight forward.. (brain storming here)

No, it doesn't fit with the outlet forward.
But you could have the outlet facing the driver seat (opposite of my set-up) and it would be just as easy to manually open until you can afford to get a bottle opener.

3hree5ive0ero 06-24-2009 05:19 PM

See below.

Originally Posted by BiGGD198 (Post 7476302)
im sure threefivezero will give some feedback on this topic, but if im not mistaken i talked to him about it a while ago....and its either he used it for a little or knew someone, but hes got alot of experience on nitrous.

for a $150, i wouldnt risk a problem occuring, the window switch is a dream come true for nitrous. its more safety for that "oh $hit" moment, just incase you push the button on accident in low rpms. its easy to hook up, and if you have questions im more than welcome to help ya out since ive gotten my experience for people on the forums.

if ya got any questions, your more than welcome to ask me...i feel i should contribute more and give some of the other guys a break from having questions thrown at them all the time...haha :icon17:

My username is 3hree5ive0ero! :mad: And thanks for the compliment, but I don't have that much experience with nitrous (just did a bit of reading and played around with a few things).

The above post above pretty much gives you the general idea as to why a small one time cost of a window switch is recommended.

Basically, you can say all you want about how you'll only press button at the right time and there will be no mistakes, but the probability that you'll accidentally activate nitrous is greater by far without a window switch.

Additionally, the Dynotune window switch is also integrates a throttle position sensor, so you only spray when 2 conditions are met:
-WOT (user preset based on throttle body voltage) must be reached
-within the user preset window of engine speed

There's also 2 other features that you can use down the line should you feel the need - 2nd set of solenoid controls (for 2 stage) and a gear lock out (for skipping X gears initially once activated).

Don't take nitrous too lightly. With so many features (not to mention safer) for such a small price, do you really think going the cheap route will do you any good in the long run and in those accidental cases?

k6750gsxr 06-24-2009 05:32 PM

All I have to say is awesome info above me. But no offense this guy didn't even know what a - 4 fitting was. That sounds like trouble to me.

Especially the fact he didn't even research what it was prior to asking the question.

To the OP there are some good answers in this thread. I hope you appreciate them because this could have became a flame fest. GL with your kit install just don't go cheap.

rtiid22 06-24-2009 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by k6750gsxr (Post 7481244)
All I have to say is awesome info above me. But no offense this guy didn't even know what a - 4 fitting was. That sounds like trouble to me.

Especially the fact he didn't even research what it was prior to asking the question.

To the OP there are some good answers in this thread. I hope you appreciate them because this could have became a flame fest. GL with your kit install just don't go cheap.

I don't know what kind of research you wanted me to perform when the only information given was "-4an adapter", I understood adapter but the word fitting wasn't mentioned. I looked around threads and multiple nitrous websites and they weren't too informative. All I felt I could have done is ask. I'm sorry but I felt offended that you relate me not knowing fitting sizes by literature to me not being able to use nitrous safely or moderately.

As far as the push nitrous, I understand the safety of having the window switch. The way I would have wired the push nitrous would have been to shoot the spray, only if the master switch is on. But, yes.. mistakes do happen and I agree **** happens. Thanks for your input guys.

BiGGD198 06-25-2009 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero (Post 7481201)

My username is 3hree5ive0ero! :mad:

correction 3hree5ive0ero...not threefivezero....sorry bout that....it was 1030pm after a 8 hr shift at work...wasnt thinking straight :rolleyes:

garym 06-26-2009 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by rtiid22 (Post 7481288)
The way I would have wired the push nitrous would have been to shoot the spray, only if the master switch is on.

I'm not even going to get started on this one.

:horse:

3hree5ive0ero 06-27-2009 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by rtiid22 (Post 7481288)
I don't know what kind of research you wanted me to perform when the only information given was "-4an adapter", I understood adapter but the word fitting wasn't mentioned. I looked around threads and multiple nitrous websites and they weren't too informative. All I felt I could have done is ask. I'm sorry but I felt offended that you relate me not knowing fitting sizes by literature to me not being able to use nitrous safely or moderately.

As far as the push nitrous, I understand the safety of having the window switch. The way I would have wired the push nitrous would have been to shoot the spray, only if the master switch is on. But, yes.. mistakes do happen and I agree **** happens. Thanks for your input guys.

It's your car. Nobody's going to stop you from doing what you want. I guess it's cool like Brian O'Connor in the FF series to have an activation button, but I personally got other things to worry about when I'm on the juice.

rtiid22 06-27-2009 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero (Post 7491377)
It's your car. Nobody's going to stop you from doing what you want. I guess it's cool like Brian O'Connor in the FF series to have an activation button, but I personally got other things to worry about when I'm on the juice.

No no no, I understand that the window switch is a critical precaution and you guys are right that even if it's a few hundred bucks it could end up saving thousands by not blowing the motor. If I do decide to go with nitrous I'm definitly getting one!