Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

What is a -4an adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:32 PM
rtiid22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a -4an adapter?

Hey guys, I was just making a list of everything I need for nitrous and adding up the costs and as I was looking for a Nitrous Pressure Gauge I saw some that say "with -4an adapter". What is that?

While we're talking about Pressure Gauges I'll also like to know if they're typically made to be inline after the valve so it reads zero until the bottle is opened?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:40 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

well, you dont give us much info, but to help ya out, it will be an AN fitting like this....

-4 is the size.

https://secure.pawengineparts.com/Im...Large/8087.jpg

they make different types and you used the word "adapter" so it can be one you need that converts/adapts from another threading type to a -4 AN.

Do you need male end? female end?

there are tons of sites that sell them, just search google once you know exactly what your looking for.
-J
Old 06-23-2009, 12:42 PM
BiGGD198

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...p?idproduct=26

if your gona buy the digital nitrous gauge, i dont believe they come with this adapter, but you screw this onto your nitrous bottle and the sensor for the gauge goes into that whole and you continue the nitrous line from the other end.

i used the adapter from my manual gauge that i got from the zex kit, just unscrewed the gauge and screw in the sensor...but thats what they mean by the adapter and -4an...its the size of the thread.

Dan
Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
well, you dont give us much info, but to help ya out, it will be an AN fitting like this....

-4 is the size.

https://secure.pawengineparts.com/Im...Large/8087.jpg

they make different types and you used the word "adapter" so it can be one you need that converts/adapts from another threading type to a -4 AN.

Do you need male end? female end?

there are tons of sites that sell them, just search google once you know exactly what your looking for.
-J

Lol.. yeah, I had no clue what supporting information to give.

I'm thinking of going with a ZEX Model Specific kit for VQ35HR along with other add-ons but I want to have a Nitrous Pressure Gauge on the A-Pillar and I want it to read zero until I open the bottle....

The whole adapter thing is to mount the pressure gauge to the bottle right?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:52 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by BiGGD198
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...p?idproduct=26

if your gona buy the digital nitrous gauge, i dont believe they come with this adapter, but you screw this onto your nitrous bottle and the sensor for the gauge goes into that whole and you continue the nitrous line from the other end.

i used the adapter from my manual gauge that i got from the zex kit, just unscrewed the gauge and screw in the sensor...but thats what they mean by the adapter and -4an...its the size of the thread.

Dan

Alright, I got it. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rtiid22
Lol.. yeah, I had no clue what supporting information to give.

I'm thinking of going with a ZEX Model Specific kit for VQ35HR along with other add-ons but I want to have a Nitrous Pressure Gauge on the A-Pillar and I want it to read zero until I open the bottle....

The whole adapter thing is to mount the pressure gauge to the bottle right?
cool......i knew someone with a kit would chime in..........

have fun with the nos...

-J
Old 06-23-2009, 01:09 PM
rtiid22

You guys know of anyone using a nitrous push button instead of a window switch? I'm thinking of using that to save myself over $150.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:43 PM
BiGGD198

You guys know of anyone using a nitrous push button instead of a window switch? I'm thinking of using that to save myself over $150.
im sure threefivezero will give some feedback on this topic, but if im not mistaken i talked to him about it a while ago....and its either he used it for a little or knew someone, but hes got alot of experience on nitrous.

for a $150, i wouldnt risk a problem occuring, the window switch is a dream come true for nitrous. its more safety for that "oh $hit" moment, just incase you push the button on accident in low rpms. its easy to hook up, and if you have questions im more than welcome to help ya out since ive gotten my experience for people on the forums.

if ya got any questions, your more than welcome to ask me...i feel i should contribute more and give some of the other guys a break from having questions thrown at them all the time...haha
Old 06-23-2009, 03:18 PM
garym

Even if the window switch cost $250, it's well worth the cost.
If you miss a shift, or hit the rev-limiter with nitrous on, that window switch will save you the cost of a new motor.

Don't run Nitrous without some kind of RPM/Nitrous control.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:09 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by garym
Even if the window switch cost $250, it's well worth the cost.
If you miss a shift, or hit the rev-limiter with nitrous on, that window switch will save you the cost of a new motor.

Don't run Nitrous without some kind of RPM/Nitrous control.
Hey garym, I saw your original thread where you showed off your stealth nitrous install and I was wondering, does that bottle not fit perfectly straight?

I'm on quite a budget so i was hoping I could just squeeze my hand behind the passenger seat and open the valve by hand so it'll be optimal for me to position it straight forward.. (brain storming here)
Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 AM
garym

Hey garym, I saw your original thread where you showed off your stealth nitrous install and I was wondering, does that bottle not fit perfectly straight?

I'm on quite a budget so i was hoping I could just squeeze my hand behind the passenger seat and open the valve by hand so it'll be optimal for me to position it straight forward.. (brain storming here)
No, it doesn't fit with the outlet forward.
But you could have the outlet facing the driver seat (opposite of my set-up) and it would be just as easy to manually open until you can afford to get a bottle opener.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

See below.
Originally Posted by BiGGD198
im sure threefivezero will give some feedback on this topic, but if im not mistaken i talked to him about it a while ago....and its either he used it for a little or knew someone, but hes got alot of experience on nitrous.

for a $150, i wouldnt risk a problem occuring, the window switch is a dream come true for nitrous. its more safety for that "oh $hit" moment, just incase you push the button on accident in low rpms. its easy to hook up, and if you have questions im more than welcome to help ya out since ive gotten my experience for people on the forums.

if ya got any questions, your more than welcome to ask me...i feel i should contribute more and give some of the other guys a break from having questions thrown at them all the time...haha
My username is 3hree5ive0ero! And thanks for the compliment, but I don't have that much experience with nitrous (just did a bit of reading and played around with a few things).

The above post above pretty much gives you the general idea as to why a small one time cost of a window switch is recommended.

Basically, you can say all you want about how you'll only press button at the right time and there will be no mistakes, but the probability that you'll accidentally activate nitrous is greater by far without a window switch.

Additionally, the Dynotune window switch is also integrates a throttle position sensor, so you only spray when 2 conditions are met:
-WOT (user preset based on throttle body voltage) must be reached
-within the user preset window of engine speed

There's also 2 other features that you can use down the line should you feel the need - 2nd set of solenoid controls (for 2 stage) and a gear lock out (for skipping X gears initially once activated).

Don't take nitrous too lightly. With so many features (not to mention safer) for such a small price, do you really think going the cheap route will do you any good in the long run and in those accidental cases?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:32 PM
k6750gsxr

All I have to say is awesome info above me. But no offense this guy didn't even know what a - 4 fitting was. That sounds like trouble to me.

Especially the fact he didn't even research what it was prior to asking the question.

To the OP there are some good answers in this thread. I hope you appreciate them because this could have became a flame fest. GL with your kit install just don't go cheap.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by k6750gsxr
All I have to say is awesome info above me. But no offense this guy didn't even know what a - 4 fitting was. That sounds like trouble to me.

Especially the fact he didn't even research what it was prior to asking the question.

To the OP there are some good answers in this thread. I hope you appreciate them because this could have became a flame fest. GL with your kit install just don't go cheap.
I don't know what kind of research you wanted me to perform when the only information given was "-4an adapter", I understood adapter but the word fitting wasn't mentioned. I looked around threads and multiple nitrous websites and they weren't too informative. All I felt I could have done is ask. I'm sorry but I felt offended that you relate me not knowing fitting sizes by literature to me not being able to use nitrous safely or moderately.

As far as the push nitrous, I understand the safety of having the window switch. The way I would have wired the push nitrous would have been to shoot the spray, only if the master switch is on. But, yes.. mistakes do happen and I agree **** happens. Thanks for your input guys.

Last edited by rtiid22; 06-25-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:14 PM
BiGGD198

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero

My username is 3hree5ive0ero!
correction 3hree5ive0ero...not threefivezero....sorry bout that....it was 1030pm after a 8 hr shift at work...wasnt thinking straight

Last edited by BiGGD198; 06-25-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: quotation
Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 PM
garym

The way I would have wired the push nitrous would have been to shoot the spray, only if the master switch is on.
I'm not even going to get started on this one.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:09 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
Cool

I don't know what kind of research you wanted me to perform when the only information given was "-4an adapter", I understood adapter but the word fitting wasn't mentioned. I looked around threads and multiple nitrous websites and they weren't too informative. All I felt I could have done is ask. I'm sorry but I felt offended that you relate me not knowing fitting sizes by literature to me not being able to use nitrous safely or moderately.

As far as the push nitrous, I understand the safety of having the window switch. The way I would have wired the push nitrous would have been to shoot the spray, only if the master switch is on. But, yes.. mistakes do happen and I agree **** happens. Thanks for your input guys.
It's your car. Nobody's going to stop you from doing what you want. I guess it's cool like Brian O'Connor in the FF series to have an activation button, but I personally got other things to worry about when I'm on the juice.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:01 PM
rtiid22

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
It's your car. Nobody's going to stop you from doing what you want. I guess it's cool like Brian O'Connor in the FF series to have an activation button, but I personally got other things to worry about when I'm on the juice.
No no no, I understand that the window switch is a critical precaution and you guys are right that even if it's a few hundred bucks it could end up saving thousands by not blowing the motor. If I do decide to go with nitrous I'm definitly getting one!