MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Northern California (https://my350z.com/forum/northern-california-26/)
-   -   Popcharger CARB EO sticker (https://my350z.com/forum/northern-california/524978-popcharger-carb-eo-sticker.html)

Wired 24/7 05-31-2011 02:01 PM

Popcharger CARB EO sticker

This is bullsh1t - some guy just tried to fail me on my smog check for having a popcharger, since the sticker with the CARB EO number had long ago fallen off.

:icon14: :icon22:

California guys - make sure that goddamn sticker is on there for your smog check.

I had to call JWT to get the EO number, then the guy "let it slide" - he says he was technically supposed to fail me.

datsunHEAD 05-31-2011 02:06 PM

funny he let you "slide"but it has a carb number lol, strick up north,down here they let you slide with intake headers and exhaust no questions asked lol

Wired 24/7 05-31-2011 02:10 PM

Yeah the guy was an ass. He said "it's not me failing you, it's the computer that fails you, because I have to put the CARB number in right here" ...

Bull sh1t dude, so why do you still give me sh1t when I give you the EO number...

This is the sh1t I hate about California

Jermy 05-31-2011 03:25 PM

california sucks. plain and simple lol. at least you got it smogged, it just sucks 90% of smog guys are ****in tools

phreaktor 05-31-2011 03:45 PM

Can you guys even have turbos there?

dikspiel 05-31-2011 03:57 PM

You can if you have a hookup for smog. If you get pulled over and get a ref ticket you pretty much are screwed. My plan is if i get a ref ticket is to pay the ticket and then register the car out of state.

datsunHEAD 05-31-2011 04:30 PM

register out of state is the best thing,grandparents live in GA so woot woot but im cali legal so theres no need to register,nice to have the option tho,and you can have factory turbo cars,honestly I think the only turbo kit thats CA smog legal is a edelbrock kit for a 96 civic ex I think.

Jermy 05-31-2011 04:39 PM

my grandparents live in smog exempt areas of nevada, im safe if i ever go F/I. im legal as of now though. But other than a vortech SC we're effed lol

BornSlippyZ 05-31-2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by phreaktor (Post 9176226)
Can you guys even have turbos there?

Only on OEM turbo cars...one reason why I cannot wait to leave this state. :icon22:

ITOzann 05-31-2011 05:03 PM

get used to it.. LOL even with carb#'s the tech's are too scared to do it now a days. STUPID CA LAWS!

datsunHEAD 05-31-2011 07:01 PM

I had a smog hook up few years back in san jose,then they both got busted with all these swapped hondas and sr 240sx everywhere it raised a few eyebrows then they started doing stings to crack down on it.

ntrinsik 05-31-2011 08:16 PM

I remember a few years ago on my previous car.. the smog technician called whoever and found that the CARB EO# on my header wasn't for my car.. so he failed me. Had to get the correct number from the manufacturer before I could get it to pass. Was such ********.

christoc 05-31-2011 08:20 PM

According to the law you were illegal, so why is it the tech's fault?

TheFarmer 06-01-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by christoc (Post 9176798)

^This. He's just doing his job. If it was infact illegal, he can be fined or even lose his job.

Neimad 06-01-2011 01:27 PM

Tech is supposed to attempt to verify part EO#without sticker via internet, ARB web/phone. If he failed the car customer could find EO# and complain to state resulting in refund. I won't even test illegally modified cars. Most of the time customer bought it like that, sent girlfriend/mother/clueless person and it takes too long explaining why it's now TAMPERED and they get all butthurt. So I check internet and pass if I can or tell them to either find that guy in San Jose or come back stock.

OMERTAITALIA 06-01-2011 04:05 PM

el dorado county= no smog

Wired 24/7 06-01-2011 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by christoc (Post 9176798)

Uh I hope this comment is not directed at me. Best be trollin' bro.

The law is that if the part is exempted, then it's legal.

Illegal would be scamming me out of the fee for a smog check when there is nothing on the car that should cause it to fail.

Originally Posted by Carb
Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

Exempted parts are add-on or modified parts that have undergone an ARB engineering evaluation. If the part or modification is shown to not increase vehicle emissions, it is granted an exemption to emission control system anti-tampering laws. This exemption is called an Executive Order (EO) and allows the modification to be installed on specific emission controlled vehicles. Every Executive Order part or modification has an assigned number that can be verified by Smog Check stations, BAR Referee stations, or by the ARB.

The number "can be verified" if necessary, but nowhere does the law say that you need a sticker to be legal. Legal parts are legal with or without sticker. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty.

christoc 06-02-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7 (Post 9178925)
Uh I hope this comment is not directed at me. Best be trollin' bro.

The law is that if the part is exempted, then it's legal.

Illegal would be scamming me out of the fee for a smog check when there is nothing on the car that should cause it to fail.

The number "can be verified" if necessary, but nowhere does the law say that you need a sticker to be legal. Legal parts are legal with or without sticker. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty.

My understanding (learn me if I'm wrong) was that the sticker proved the legality, without the sticker how does the guy verify that the part you say you have, is what it is?

Now, calling me a troll? That's real grown up there kid.

PikesPeakZ 06-02-2011 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by christoc (Post 9179158)
My understanding (learn me if I'm wrong) was that the sticker proved the legality, without the sticker how does the guy verify that the part you say you have, is what it is?

Now, calling me a troll? That's real grown up there kid.

It is listed on the CARB website and the tech is supposed to verify it if there is no sticker by taking his lazy ass online through their tool they have direct access. Lazy douchebag tech is what it sounds like.

AT OP I can one up you. I have HKS Hi power exhaust and the smog guy thought I removed cats that are supposed to be in the rear of the car because he saw the resonators on the HKS exhaust. I told him the 2 cats are both up front and he proceeded to argue with me until the point where I told him not to touch my car anymore and get the owner of the shop. I then told him to call Nissan and have the Service Manager tell him what the cats are supposed to look like and confirm there are no rear cats missing. They don't know **** and they are lazy and just use the oh my job as an excuse.

Jermy 06-02-2011 09:38 AM

How the hell was he illegal. He has a carb exempt part. If you tell that to a smog person, without having a stamp, they need to do their damn job and check it. Luckily the people i went to looked up the carb number for my headers and saw the carb sticker for the popcharger and didnt hastle with it