MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Shop Builds (https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds-489/)
-   -   4.3L VQTT build!! (https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds/569457-4-3l-vqtt-build.html)

graffkid732 12-13-2012 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by abonham87 (Post 9979544)
...im sorry which car were you talking about again?8 sec?

and for the cooling passages, we have came up with a way to get the water to and from were it needs to go, the pics posted is not the 100 percent finished product... i will post more pics of the way we are doing it sooooooon....

and for the same exact sleeves and machine work/installation it will cost you $2000.00

With the installation of Rods, pistons, and crank/bearings?

Definitely a good price in my opinion if so hah.

CRIDDA 12-13-2012 09:20 PM

Looks like a fun project. Hope the owner gets everything he is looking for in this build.

JGYMotorsports 12-14-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by graffkid732 (Post 9980166)
With the installation of Rods, pistons, and crank/bearings?

Definitely a good price in my opinion if so hah.

haha yea that would be a great deal!! but no that is a bare block with sleeves installed! you pick your stroke/bore pistons rods etc... then we finish it! and you have lots of fun:icon38:

JGYMotorsports 12-14-2012 06:08 AM

in reference to the 8 second car in Bahrain:

we did NOT build the entire motor/car... we built the sleeved block and sent it to them... ... cuz this block is amazing:)

JGYMotorsports 12-14-2012 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by graffkid732 (Post 9980266)
So shoot for 1000whp and call it a day. Low boost 750 or what ever customer wants an high boost 1xxx. Show the real need of such a big vq. Probably pull yourselves a decent amount of business if all goes well.

Just saying Hah.

how about you have us build you a 1000whp setup then?:thumbup:

ace32x 12-14-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by abonham87 (Post 9980597)

he's in the middle of his own 1300 build with a 3.4 2j :thumbup:

SH Luciano 12-14-2012 08:02 AM

cool build, nice to see some different stuff being done on this platform.

djamps 12-15-2012 03:27 AM

:thumbup:

sradenton 12-17-2012 05:42 PM

Wow!!! Sick build. Keep use updated on this build. :thumbup:

JGYMotorsports 12-18-2012 05:16 AM

and thanks everyone for all the positive response! im glad we are getting people interested in this project!

we love these motors!

and soon we will be posting 2 more builds that we are putting together... the shop owners high compression vQ, and my personal boosted vQ... and maybe one of you guys will send a motor over for some maqic to happen!!;)

JGYMotorsports 12-18-2012 05:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres some eye candy:) you know you want it! 103mm bore CP!!

JGYMotorsports 12-29-2012 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by rcdash (Post 9979087)
Thanks for all the details on your design choices. When we were looking at the gtx turbos there were no options on compressor inlet sizes. We talked to JWT last spring and they had nothing in production at the time. Where do you anticipate setting the rpm limit? (stock 6700?)

Honestly, not sure about the rev limit yet.
We seem to have excellent success with CP Pistons and our sleeve material being able to withstand higher than normal piston speed.

It will really come down to where the power seems to be created on the dyno that will probably help us find the rpm limit.

Often, Nissan sets the RPM limit based on aspects such as valve spring stiffness, material of Pistons/Rings, and......what the general public thinks is good. All of that gets thrown out the window when you change it all.

but..quick answer ? 7k:o

JGYMotorsports 12-29-2012 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ (Post 9979258)
More info on said car? Also, any clarification regarding your cooling system. Esp. with no water passages in the sleeves.

Sounds exciting, either way

there will be water passages, Jason just hasn't created them yet

JGYMotorsports 12-29-2012 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by mafoor (Post 9979498)
just out of curiosity, how much would the short block cost?

including pistons and rods and bearings and ARP etc etc? or just block and sleeves

email us for a quote

jasonG35 12-29-2012 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ROM3 (Post 9979941)
Are you going to close then tap the heads for their coolant source? It seems like the water passages would be cutting it close to the cylinder wall. Whats the tolerance between the cylinders?

Quality build, in for updates and the finished product!

that might fall me on me..........
Jon wanted to have more than 4,300 cc's of motor. 103mm was what it would take
He has a touch over 5mm between each cylinder of solid surface.

I've done less on other Nissan motors. KA's are close on 2 cylinders. The RB32DETT that's at JGY has less than that.

Resmarted 12-29-2012 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by JGYMotorsports (Post 9980597)

I think what Graff was trying to say was you should push the limits on your builds and not on a customers car to prove yourselves. I totally agree with that idea.
That's how the good Z shops got popular, and part of how they earned their reputation and huge following in the community.

Nobody in their right mind should pay a shop top dollar to do something they haven't proven they can do thoroughly, let alone never done before.

Not trying to knock your business, it's just a lot of shops have come through this community toting huge hp goals, promises and claiming abilities they've never proven, only to screw people over.

Prove your shop, and you'll get a great following here, you can practically bank on that.
Not a lot to ask when you consider, you are professionals!

JGYMotorsports 12-31-2012 10:53 AM

Resmarted,

We thought that Graff was suggesting upping the power on the customer's motor. In jest, we suggested that instead of doing it on the customer's motor, we do it for him. It was said with a smile. The customer doesn't want 1000HP.

As for what you say, we can't really disagree. We will add that we don't think 700HP is a big goal for us or for the community. It's actually not that high. 700HP out of a twin turbo'd 4.3L built motor? easy, heck, 700HP out of a 3.5L motor is easy, as you know

This thread was posted to let people read about a VQ with a huge displacement. It's not a sales pitch thread.

We just happen to have a thing for building big displacement Nissan motors and a following for doing so.

People do pay shops all the time top dollar to do things not been done before. Someone comes up with a vision and trusts the builders to achieve the goals. West Coast Customs is a prime example of a show dedicated to this.

We have been in the Nissan specific market for a long time (actually, at this same location for over 10 years), just not a sponsor on this forum for long. FWIW, we have been a sponsor on a sister site of this in the past for a while.

Thanks for the heads up and good luck on your build as well!

RudeG_v2.0 12-31-2012 12:14 PM

Understood that this isn't a 1,000whp project because that isn't the customer's goal. And of course you wouldn't test the limits of this block/sleeve design on a customer's car without their blessing.

However, I think I speak for most here when I say that we are curious to see the potential of this closed deck sleeve design. It's unlike anything we have seen before in this community. I think the open deck design of the VQ as well as the numerous AEBS and Darton sleeve failures are major factors in why 1,000+whp VQ's are still rare compared to other platforms such as the 2JZ.

It would be nice to see you guys push this block design past 1,000whp. Any plans to do so with a dedicated shop car or another customer?

+1 to what Resmarted said. The 1,000whp benchmark is what has separated the legit shops from the wannabes and pretenders in this community.

JGYMotorsports 12-31-2012 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0 (Post 9996868)
Understood that this isn't a 1,000whp project because that isn't the customer's goal. And of course you wouldn't test the limits of this block/sleeve design on a customer's car without their blessing.

However, I think I speak for most here when I say that we are curious to see the potential of this closed deck sleeve design. It's unlike anything we have seen before in this community. I think the open deck design of the VQ as well as the numerous AEBS and Darton sleeve failures are major factors in why 1,000+whp VQ's are still rare compared to other platforms such as the 2JZ.

It would be nice to see you guys push this block design past 1,000whp. Any plans to do so with a dedicated shop car or another customer?

+1 to what Resmarted said. The 1,000whp benchmark is what has separated the legit shops from the wannabes and pretenders in this community.

Rude G,

well said, and confirmed

The closed deck design of Jason's is exciting. It's certainly not new to motors, but apparently when he was researching, it is what he decided on.

We also agree that the open deck design of the VQ creates a hurdle to getting past 1000HP. As you know, hurdles are meant to be crossed.

As for shop cars, we have 3 employees that work for us that drive VQ cars and speak up if they want to get past the 1000HP mark. As for the customers that may want to do so, our door is open.:)

...pm'ing Jason to see if he will chime in on this...as long as he's not partying too much (new year's eve)

Happy New Year

We will post more progress as it happens (motor is not in the engine room now, an RB20 converted to an RB23 is)

Resmarted 12-31-2012 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by JGYMotorsports (Post 9997189)
Rude G,

well said, and confirmed

The closed deck design of Jason's is exciting. It's certainly not new to motors, but apparently when he was researching, it is what he decided on.

We also agree that the open deck design of the VQ creates a hurdle to getting past 1000HP. As you know, hurdles are meant to be crossed.

As for shop cars, we have 3 employees that work for us that drive VQ cars and speak up if they want to get past the 1000HP mark. As for the customers that may want to do so, our door is open.:)

...pm'ing Jason to see if he will chime in on this...as long as he's not partying too much (new year's eve)

Happy New Year

We will post more progress as it happens (motor is not in the engine room now, an RB20 converted to an RB23 is)

That's awesome! rb20's are a difficult engine to work with!

I hope you guys deliver at least one 1000whp build that would be really cool.