MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   VQ35HR (https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr-479/)
-   -   How to get 300whp+ on a HR (https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/453349-how-to-get-300whp-on-a-hr.html)

brady 08-29-2009 08:32 AM

How to get 300whp+ on a HR

Many people are breaking 300whp on their HR's. I thought it would be good to have a post that describes the modifications different owners used to get there.

Here are my mods:

Injen dual cold air intake
Stillen headers
Stillen high flow cats
JIC Ti single exit 80mm
UpRev tune

I honestly believe that the stock intakes would net me more whp. I dynoed 301.5whp with a base line of 260whp with just the exhaust.

Lakeside 08-29-2009 09:11 AM

I have:

HKS Hi-power true dual exhuast
Stillen 409 headers
Crawford HFC's
Up-Rev Dyno Tune

Mods to come:

Injen CAI's
ZEX nitrous kit
3.9 gears

Currently 314 Whp with stock intakes

Kris

mistanismo 08-29-2009 09:17 AM

Out of curiosity, why do you believe the stock intakes would yeild a greater net RWHP? I'm debating going back to stock intakes myself honestly.

MDHRZ 08-29-2009 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lakeside (Post 7697463)
I have:

HKS Hi-power true dual exhuast
Stillen 409 headers
Crawford HFC's
Up-Rev Dyno Tune

Mods to come:

Injen CAI's
ZEX nitrous kit
3.9 gears

Currently 314 Whp with stock intakes

Kris

Link to ZEX kit? HR specific?

Lakeside 08-29-2009 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tannoy (Post 7697504)
I have the Stillen CAI and am also considering putting stock back on. Feels like they made my car sluggish(Might just be me) But they sound great.

I have nothing to compare to.. But after reading several posts I decided to stay with my stock air boxs. My low to mid range suffered until I had the car Dyno-tuned!!!! Now its a beast. Awesome low/mid & top end.

Link to Nitrous kit on ebay. Can search part # on Summit and Jegs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

MDHRZ 08-29-2009 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lakeside (Post 7697548)

Link to Nitrous kit on ebay. Can search part # on Summit and Jegs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks! The place that is selling this is 20 minutes from my house :icon38:.

NightShade 08-29-2009 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by brady (Post 7697410)
Many people are breaking 300whp on their HR's. I thought it would be good to have a post that describes the modifications different owners used to get there.

Here are my mods:

Injen dual cold air intake
Stillen headers
Stillen high flow cats
JIC Ti single exit 80mm
UpRev tune

I honestly believe that the stock intakes would net me more whp. I dynoed 301.5whp with a base line of 260whp with just the exhaust.

Are you saying you dynoe'd at 260whp with the exhaust?

TheOtherRob 08-29-2009 11:08 AM

I guess my car sucks. I think the type of dyno, air temp, etc need to be included.

I only did 262whp on a mustang dyno.

Mods:
Injen Intakes
Motordyne shockwave
Berk HFC
UP Rev Osiris Dyno Tuned

biggersNISMO 08-29-2009 11:23 AM

^^^ Your car don't suck bro (Rob).
Some dyno's are just friendlier than others. And some are calibrated differently.
Your car is badazzzzz!!! Too many variables to compare whp numbers all acroos the forum.

But it's great to see everyones set up.

anyjuan 08-29-2009 11:26 AM

Just from reading thousands of threads about dynos I think we should quit worrying about the max whp output and focus more on the whp gains compared to base dynos. Yet, I think this thread is very helpful. I've seen a consistent 25ish whp gains from HRs with full bolt ons. I think I'll be keeping my stock intakes, tho.

KingBaby 08-29-2009 11:30 AM

yup and swap out the filters...

TheOtherRob 08-29-2009 11:34 AM

But injens look cooler :dunno:

Maybe have to put the stocks ones back in for hurricane season.

biggersNISMO 08-29-2009 11:35 AM

Are there any individual dyno's for the Injen Intakes?

anyjuan 08-29-2009 11:47 AM

^ I think A.H has but with a combination of other mods. Correct me if I'm wrong.

anyjuan 08-29-2009 11:50 AM

after I finish the exhaust and get a tune I'll start working on show mods and wait till I'm rich enough to go FI...

Lakeside 08-29-2009 12:07 PM

A 75 shot of spray won't hurt anything. Alittle extra boost there for when you really really want it. Arm & go!

I have been debating that other dude's thread with the underdrive crank pulley with oversized alternator pulley. Tempted to get just the alternator pulley & possibly install it with my Stillen crank pulley and run a Dyno with it. Curious to see what the gains would be.

I need to pick up some K&N's for my airboxs also. My biggest fear is to sacrifice low end response! So I am very hesitant to install the Injen's. I am sure gears would help offset those losses. A tune will do only so much...

If you have access to a Dyno tune over a reflashed ECU go for it. Performance Nissan of L.I. was nice enough to spend pretty much the entire day tuning my car. Paid extra attention to getting the Low & Mid range just right! I'm glad they did to! Car is a real pleasure to drive again.

Edit: My ultimate goal would be to reach 325 WHP NA on a Mustang Dyno. I have been debating whether to get GTM resinated TP's or GTM's standard TP's. I need to listen to some sound clips again to decide!

I have also done some basic weight shaving.

SOLO-350Z 08-29-2009 12:14 PM

300rwhp on a make believe dyno. Dynojet it will be hard.

KingBaby 08-29-2009 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lakeside (Post 7697878)
I have also done some basic weight shaving.

what have you done so far...

I stripped everything out my trunk...everything...

I'm working on a mat to place back there to muffle the noise a little bit...but the car feel lots lighter, and sounds great with the stock exhaust the exhaust note can get you high...

Lakeside 08-29-2009 12:54 PM

I removed the spare, jack & tire iron.

My volks shaved some weight over the stock rims. I have been meaning to weigh the Nismo rims & tires seeing how they sit in my garage but haven't compared them.

I can say the stock headers & cats weigh a ton. lol But the HKS exhuast is most likely heavier then the stock. Who knows. Most likely a wash there.

I am considering pulling my cams over the winter and swapping out for Tomei's. Nothing agressive! I like a nice idle.

I'll install the Zex kit & the car should beable to hang with the new camaro's. Find out in the Spring.

Its all trial and error on the Dyno at this pint. See what works and what doesn't.

derekinthez 08-30-2009 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lakeside (Post 7697948)
I removed the spare, jack & tire iron.

My volks shaved some weight over the stock rims. I have been meaning to weigh the Nismo rims & tires seeing how they sit in my garage but haven't compared them.

I can say the stock headers & cats weigh a ton. lol But the HKS exhuast is most likely heavier then the stock. Who knows. Most likely a wash there.

I went on a diet. Should be able to shed about 20 lbs.