MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires-60/)
-   -   Fix-A-Flat and other similar products... good? (https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/68269-fix-a-flat-and-other-similar-products-good.html)

jreiter 04-02-2004 12:44 PM

Fix-A-Flat and other similar products... good?

I no longer have a spare, so I was thinking of carrying a couple bottles of Fix-A-Flat or some similar product in my car. I do have AAA, but it'd be nice not to have to wait on them out in the middle of nowhere if I don't have to.

So anyway, can anyone comment on how well those Fix-A-Flat type of products work? Any better than others? Also, any problems using it with the factory tire pressure sensors? I can't see any reason why the sensors might get messed up (other than coated with slime), but I wanted to check and see if anyone's had any experience.

protocav 04-02-2004 01:29 PM

i have heard, from more than one source, that the chemical that comprises fix-a-flat will eat through aluminum wheels. i wouldn't chance it!!

it is made for old-style steel wheels.

teh215 04-02-2004 01:37 PM

Not to mention the damage it could cause if it gets into the Tire Pressure Sensor...

Rushguy 04-02-2004 01:45 PM

I took my dealers advice and got AAA Plus. I would never use the spare unless I was trying to escape a tornado or something.

tiswicked 04-14-2004 08:29 AM

I tried using the Pennzoil Fiz a flat crap on my old supra about a year ago and it sucks. I just got the flat, pulled over, put one can in, did nothing, put a second can in. Still did nothing. I was very disappointed, I had to jack up the car and put in the spare. The tires were 245/45. Maybe they were too big??? IT didn't even inflate much if any.

Also tried another Pennzoil fix a flat on a friends sentra and it worked great. In one minute the tire was completly full from being flat. Worked great on the sentra. I think it had 175/70/13 tires.

BriA5 04-14-2004 09:05 AM

BMW Distributes what they call an "M\\ Mobility Kit" when their cars don't have spares or run-flats. I think it is basically a can of sealant stuff and a mini, cigarete lighter-powered air compressor to pump yourself back up. Anyone have any experience with these? If you were getting rid of your spare this could be a great little kit to carry instead, if it works well.

jreiter 04-14-2004 04:33 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't think that a can or two of tire sealant could fully inflate a flat tire. A small air compressor would be ideal. (But I imagine it would take a while to pump up.) :)

BriA5 04-14-2004 06:58 PM

That's true, it could take a while to pump up. I know my father used to have donuts in his Porsches, but they would be deflated to save space. They provided a similar compressor, but the one time we needed to use it it took quite a while to do its thing. With the exception of the time factor, this method seems the simplest and cleanest to me.

03 Z for ME 07-22-2004 12:10 AM

Originally posted by BriA5
BMW Distributes what they call an "M\\ Mobility Kit" when their cars don't have spares or run-flats. I think it is basically a can of sealant stuff and a mini, cigarete lighter-powered air compressor to pump yourself back up. Anyone have any experience with these? If you were getting rid of your spare this could be a great little kit to carry instead, if it works well.
The Corvette Z-06 has the same "kit"... A can of Sealant and a portable air compressor. No Spare - No Run Flat tires.

All I want to know is if the Fix a Flat crap will harm the Tire Pressure Sensors...

DavesZ#3 07-22-2004 04:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From page 5-4 of the owners manual:

KShep 07-22-2004 08:28 AM

For those without TPS, no spare due to BBK caliper clearance issues and no AAA plus (checking in to that), would a viable option be:...?

Can of sealant and mini-compressor...should be room for it in the spare tire well.

n8vz 07-22-2004 04:29 PM

Make sure you check the lable that the content is none-flammable.

jreiter 07-23-2004 02:24 PM

Does anyone know the brands of sealant used in the Vettes and BMWs that come with those kits? I've decided I don't mind risking the tire pressure sensors. If I ruin one, I ruin one. Oh well. That's better than being stuck with a flat in the middle of nowhere. :)

I just want to use some good stuff. I figure the factory stuff that Vettes and BMWs use can't be too bad. :)

jreiter 07-23-2004 02:26 PM

Regarding AAA Plus, I unfortunately can't get it right now. Should be able to in another 8 months or so, but right now I'm stuck with the regular plan. :)