Old 08-12-2014, 12:48 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,059 Likes on 6,523 Posts

Originally Posted by BlanQshot
HR? I am not used to every acronyms...

And what do you mean by full bolt ons?
jeebus......

are you sure you truly have a 35th anniversary? a lot of people get fooled into thinking they do and in reality they dont
Old 08-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee9374
jeebus......

are you sure you truly have a 35th anniversary? a lot of people get fooled into thinking they do and in reality they dont
it's a 2005 so it must be. hurr durr...
Old 08-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You might as well keep it stock because with normal mods your barely going to feel any difference.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:05 PM
travlee
Master

A couple of Nissan SR20's would pull a premium one week before race wars.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:53 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

As a borla owner I can tell you unless you have the cats removed it is SLIGHTLY louder then stock, and by slightly I mean I was VERY disappointed in the money I spent. The tone was nice, no leaks, great fitment. It took test pipes to make me happy with volume, and even with test pipes I wish it were a bit louder.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:43 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
I would go with OEM clutch, but I have heard good things about the JWT clutch.

How many miles does the car have? Depending on that since you are changing the clutch you might as well do some other basic maintenance on the car. For instance, without a doubt change the diff fluid and tranny fluid. I recommend Redline fluid for both.

Since you don't know about cars it is difficult to say what to do. When my clutch went on my Sentra, I took the opportunity to really look over the underneath of the car and engine bay to see if any maintenance was needed.

Change the clutch, the fluids, spark plugs, etc.

An exhaust will add some performance, but most people get them for sound. Some people like the Borla but in my opinion you have way better options for the price. Depending on how loud you want I would check out companies such as HKS, Motordyne, Tomei, Agency Power, Nismo (discontinued), and Greddy.
+1. Those basic things are only going to help; I'd recommend power flush tranny before adding top quality fluids including diff. gear lube, engine oil. If your coolant looks shot, have them flush the cooling system too. Good luck with the new Z!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:13 AM
BlanQshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeebus......

I don't know much about cars and my 350z is my first car which is also my first 6 Speed Manual Transmission.

Yes I know its the legit one, all leather, Silverstone, Redline Rev Starts at 7 so I know its a Rev-Up 6MT Engine. Brembo Brakes, Navi, etc.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:14 AM
BlanQshot

Originally Posted by BigBlue
+1. Those basic things are only going to help; I'd recommend power flush tranny before adding top quality fluids including diff. gear lube, engine oil. If your coolant looks shot, have them flush the cooling system too. Good luck with the new Z!
Noted.

And what do you mean by the coolant looks "shot"?
Old 08-13-2014, 04:16 AM
BlanQshot

Originally Posted by NiLL
As a borla owner I can tell you unless you have the cats removed it is SLIGHTLY louder then stock, and by slightly I mean I was VERY disappointed in the money I spent. The tone was nice, no leaks, great fitment. It took test pipes to make me happy with volume, and even with test pipes I wish it were a bit louder.
Is the tone at least unique in its own way? I am not looking for loudness in the exhaust system, I am looking for unique one, something that will set some apart with the other cars.

I used to be into loud exhaust but it's just not me anymore.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:20 AM
travlee
Master

I don't know much about cars and my 350z is my first car which is also my first 6 Speed Manual Transmission.

Yes I know its the legit one, all leather, Silverstone, Redline Rev Starts at 7 so I know its a Rev-Up 6MT Engine. Brembo Brakes, Navi, etc.
good deal, many of times people are told they have the 35th and they really don't.

me personally I LOVE the sound of my ART pipes and TXD2 exhaust, but it does get pretty loud about 3500 rpm
Old 08-13-2014, 04:55 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Noted.

And what do you mean by the coolant looks "shot"?
The good thing about car fluids is that you can visually tell for the most part if they need to be changed. For instance, your coolant should be a neon green, like a bright neon green. Over time it discolors and turns into something that looks like it came out of a juicer lol. Discoloration shows the age and wear of the fluid.

Since you only have 40k miles and as long as your coolant level is good and you don't have overheating issues, I would leave it. You be the judge really. If it looks disgusting then change it.

Same goes for engine oil and tranny and diff fluid. Over time the color darkens and becomes sludgy. It is the oil and fluid getting used and dirty. When I changed the tranny fluid and engine oil on my Sentra for the first time, I couldn't believe how disgusting both looked. It looks like the tranny fluid was never changed (200k miles) and the engine oil looked like the person just kept topping off oil and never actually changed it. Let's just say the car drove WAY better than it did before.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:14 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You keep saying that your clutch is "shot", what are you basing that on? Is it slipping? Dragging? Or are you basing it on the bite point being high on the pedal? If that is the case then your clutch may be OK as the bite point is high on all 350Z's. For example a good friend of mine who is a mechanic (but hasn't worked on the 350Z) took a drive in mine not long after I'd bought it and his first words when he returned was that the clutch was on its way out and it took me showing him the invoice showing that it had a new clutch 2k miles before I bought the car and me explaining about the high bite point.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:36 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

mods can you remove this post as I'm having problems with my laptop. I write a post hit 'post quick reply' and nothing happens, it looks like its been deleted then I rewrite my comment hit 'post quick reply and then both comments are posted, feckin thing.

Last edited by samsniss350z; 08-13-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:53 AM
BlanQshot

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
The good thing about car fluids is that you can visually tell for the most part if they need to be changed. For instance, your coolant should be a neon green, like a bright neon green. Over time it discolors and turns into something that looks like it came out of a juicer lol. Discoloration shows the age and wear of the fluid.

Since you only have 40k miles and as long as your coolant level is good and you don't have overheating issues, I would leave it. You be the judge really. If it looks disgusting then change it.

Same goes for engine oil and tranny and diff fluid. Over time the color darkens and becomes sludgy. It is the oil and fluid getting used and dirty. When I changed the tranny fluid and engine oil on my Sentra for the first time, I couldn't believe how disgusting both looked. It looks like the tranny fluid was never changed (200k miles) and the engine oil looked like the person just kept topping off oil and never actually changed it. Let's just say the car drove WAY better than it did before.
Thanks for the information for the coolant check, I'll check it when I get the chance.

Engine Oil I just changed it so I'm not too worried, I see no overheating. As for as the Tranny and Diff Fluid I will check later, did not know about those nor do I know what the hell those fluids are responsible for.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:04 AM
BlanQshot

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
You keep saying that your clutch is "shot", what are you basing that on? Is it slipping? Dragging? Or are you basing it on the bite point being high on the pedal? If that is the case then your clutch may be OK as the bite point is high on all 350Z's. For example a good friend of mine who is a mechanic (but hasn't worked on the 350Z) took a drive in mine not long after I'd bought it and his first words when he returned was that the clutch was on its way out and it took me showing him the invoice showing that it had a new clutch 2k miles before I bought the car and me explaining about the high bite point.
I'll explain it as best as I can.

I know 350z have a high point clutch catch but that's not my subject. I'm not sure how to say this but does the car suppose to give a hard shake if you dont rev match to the next gear? I know when I was learning manual for the first time my friend who was teaching me said "all cars are different" so maybe thats just how the feel is for the 350z when the rev doesnt catch? However here's the thing, when I get an inexperienced manual driver to drive my car and he/she keeps messing up the rev catch point for shifting up/down and when we park I smell the clutch burning from the outside (not inside). Is that because he was burning the clutch because he was inexperienced?

Also about the "all cars are different" when I drove my friends 2014 Subaru BRZ even though I messed up the rev points for shifting she didnt shake as hard as my 350z, only very slightly indicating it wasn't a perfect shift. Could that change be made on my 350z by changing the clutch?

Another pointer is that I had a friend drive my 350z explaining the whole thing and he said it's the pressure plate of my car thats messing up the whole shift. Apparently when I push the clutch all the way in, while it comes back up theres a certain lagg, and when it gets 3/4 to the top it becomes silky smooth, WEIRD. He just says that and says nothing is wrong with my clutch.

Is the car suppose to make a sound when I engage the clutch? Like on first or second gear when I engage the clutch and when I have the music off I can hear something clatter/chatter. Only when I engage the clutch on those gears. When i'm on higher gears there is no chatter or any sort (regardless of RPM).

I also have a brake question. Car came with Brembo brakes (was informed I wouldn't tell a difference between stock and brembo until I took it to track). My first experience with car brakes is that if you tap it just slightly the whole car response real fast to stoppage. My brakes are different. When I push in about an inch it doesnt react that way, instead it slows my car VERY slowly, after that inch increment I have to push HARDER to stop the car FASTER. Any ideas on this?
Old 08-13-2014, 06:07 AM
travlee
Master

here is easy test to see if the clutch is slipping.... going about 20 mph in 4th gear, floor it... if the rpms jump then it is slipping, if it kinda bogs down but goes without the rpm jumping you are good
Old 08-13-2014, 06:28 AM
BlanQshot

here is easy test to see if the clutch is slipping.... going about 20 mph in 4th gear, floor it... if the rpms jump then it is slipping, if it kinda bogs down but goes without the rpm jumping you are good
AHHHHHH interesting. I've down that before, going low speeds on high gear to save gas + flooring it to see what would happen.

the RPMS does not jump on such higher gear (and I tend to go higher gear on low speeds occasion to save gas) the engine struggles to raise the RPM but thats normal since its on a higher gear with such low speeds.

but as the clutch pedal is it suppose to be smooth all the way in and out? It really feals some sort of lag 3/4 on the way out then the rest of the top inch is buttery smooth. Like I said my friend claims its the pressure plate.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 AM
Willis cabbage

The brz has a smaller engine then your Z, it will be easier to rev match. It will jump if your far off rpm wise when you switch gears. The clutch noise your hearing is probably the throw out bearing. They are loud in these cars, it's probably ok. But I can't hear it through the internet.

I'll explain it as best as I can.

I know 350z have a high point clutch catch but that's not my subject. I'm not sure how to say this but does the car suppose to give a hard shake if you dont rev match to the next gear? I know when I was learning manual for the first time my friend who was teaching me said "all cars are different" so maybe thats just how the feel is for the 350z when the rev doesnt catch? However here's the thing, when I get an inexperienced manual driver to drive my car and he/she keeps messing up the rev catch point for shifting up/down and when we park I smell the clutch burning from the outside (not inside). Is that because he was burning the clutch because he was inexperienced?

Also about the "all cars are different" when I drove my friends 2014 Subaru BRZ even though I messed up the rev points for shifting she didnt shake as hard as my 350z, only very slightly indicating it wasn't a perfect shift. Could that change be made on my 350z by changing the clutch?

Another pointer is that I had a friend drive my 350z explaining the whole thing and he said it's the pressure plate of my car thats messing up the whole shift. Apparently when I push the clutch all the way in, while it comes back up theres a certain lagg, and when it gets 3/4 to the top it becomes silky smooth, WEIRD. He just says that and says nothing is wrong with my clutch.

Is the car suppose to make a sound when I engage the clutch? Like on first or second gear when I engage the clutch and when I have the music off I can hear something clatter/chatter. Only when I engage the clutch on those gears. When i'm on higher gears there is no chatter or any sort (regardless of RPM).

I also have a brake question. Car came with Brembo brakes (was informed I wouldn't tell a difference between stock and brembo until I took it to track). My first experience with car brakes is that if you tap it just slightly the whole car response real fast to stoppage. My brakes are different. When I push in about an inch it doesnt react that way, instead it slows my car VERY slowly, after that inch increment I have to push HARDER to stop the car FASTER. Any ideas on this?
Old 08-13-2014, 06:30 AM
BlanQshot

But what about the outside clutch sound when I engage it/disengage it on first and second, any worries on that?
Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 AM
travlee
Master

flywheel chatter, common on the Z

Quick Reply: 350z NA Suggestions