Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

200K Tune-Up List

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 03:50 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 200K Tune-Up List

My 03 G is sitting at 201K. Bought here with some issues but in almost immaculate shape interior and exterior. New Master Cylinder, New Differential Cover (maybe pumpkin too, not sure), Battery.

Aside from some TB issues and a list of parts I know I need can you guys think of something I'm missing or should go ahead and replace.

Here is my list

1. New Throttle Body - Throwing P1121 all day, checked wiring, fuses, relays still throwing the code after ECU reset, and the relearns

2. Valve Cover Gaskets Massive leak now causing enough to smoke off the exhaust towards the rear, praying it isn't a upper oil pan. Smoke seems to start high about 3 inches below and to the middle of the back of the valve cover.

3.I'm alone so if I change brake fluid I need to use that pump thing I think Motel makes made for a 1 man brake fluid change.

4. and 5. Power Steering and AT5 fluid flush by tactic of draining and refilling than drive 25-50 miles and than drain and refill again 1 or 2 more times.

Belts new

6. I have a Mechnical Fan and electric condenser because its a 03.5 G so the shroud is busted and temps rise 10-15 degrees higher than normal when I don't have the upper shroud rigged. I will go to a dual electric fan route with a temp switch along with factory 170 thermostat/housing

7. and 8. Oil (Probaly going to a 10W30 or 10w40) Winters are mild here and only like 2 weeks a year get below 25 degrees. Spark Plugs - I don't need 100k plugs but I do want the best performing plugs. The engine is not original. So it doesn't have 200k but I have no idea how many miles. I do know that after owning the car 2 months the oil is still clean as can be so that's amazing to me.

Brake pads are pretty new looking as far as wear but honestly this car doesn't stop anywhere near as good as my 03 Mustang GT stock brakes car. So not sure if stainless brake lines, new street/track/strip pads by Hawk or Stoptech and some decent rotors. Don't have BBK dollars so just don't know if what I just mentioned are worth it on brakes.

Anything else aside from fluids and what I mentioned that needs to be done and looked or replaced.

Someone recommended me go to Infiniti and have them update my ECU/ROM but Infiniti said it will cost $120 just to plug Consult 2 up.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:02 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

ls swap

Old 10-27-2016, 06:22 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Differential bushing probably blown out 150k miles ago, along with the rest of the suspension.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:49 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I look at it like this. You engine will last you probably up to 250k. At 250k it might explode. At any time. Is it worth it to you to spend tons of money and not just go buy a newer low millage car?

You will need to replace EVERY fluid in the car. 300 bucks ish
You will need to replace EVERY bushing in that car. 500 bucks-ish plus TONS of time.
Valve covers. 500 bucks.
replacing your radiator shroud 200-300?
Struts are for sure shot. 600-1000
Has your water pump and thermostat been replaced yet? That's going to go very soon.
Window motors?
Seals around your windows?
Oil galley gaskets are for sure shot as well. That's expensive to fix. might as well do your timing chain and tensioners as well.
Whats in your fuel tank?
Are you starting to rust anywhere?
Paint?

I mean the list goes on. If your goal was to use the chassis and drop a new motor in eventually and you wanted to keep this car forever I can see doing all that. But for 50k more miles? Why? Just do the bare minimum until it explodes or you can afford something else.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, forgot to mention its not the original engine. Its had a rebuild or got a reman prior to me buying it. The differential Bushings in the subframe look brand new from what I can tell. I paid 5k for it and kinda wanted a new project car. I'm 35 years old and my last project car ended up being a brand new Mustang GT I bought in late 02 and kept 12-13 years but after looking back. I ripped that car apart from top to bottom and probably had about 15k invested in it. I totaled one night when it was for sale. It was at the point where it was to nice to drive and it was just a bad luck scenario. So that's why I got 5K and found a G in visibly nice interior/exterior condition with a rebuilt or low mileage used engine. I need it fully dependable. The parts at the top of the list are needs. I don't think I'm gonna build it with thousands and thousands invested like my last one. I chose the car and timeframe I wanted for a daily driver/ hobby car. Its not about affording a better low mileage car. At most because of my location and in the city and where I work. I might put 8k a year on this car. Not disagreeing about some things that give up after a certain amount of miles. I definitely am not a noob at this car thing. I've been ripping motors out of cars and modifying since the late 90's. I took a long break with new ventures in life after I lost my Mustang.

None of the plugs have oil on them so I'm not replacing the valve covers, just the $13 gaskets. The shroud is expensive that's why I'm buying a dual electric fan kit $80 with a relay/temp switch kit I already have. Differential, Brake fluid is all fresh. I have a thermostat housing already. I haven't heard many people say the water pumps fail much in these cars.

Last edited by Swaglife81; 10-27-2016 at 10:07 PM.