Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bad radio reception after aftermarket HU install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Art Vandaleigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad radio reception after aftermarket HU install?

Recently installed a Pioneer premier deck a few weeks ago, and noticed i get very weak and blotchy radio reception than compared to the stock deck. I didnt mess with the antenna and whatnot, anyone else have this problem?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Pioneer is known to have low quality radio reception.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Jackdaw

Did you connect the blue wire on the iso harness to the antenna amp wire?
The Nissan antenna is amplified and needs to have an amp trigger from a head unit to turn on.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:34 PM
liquidcourage1

or just get XM/Sirius and your reception woes will be over forever...

I don't even listen to regular FM anymore.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Art Vandaleigh

Hmm ill probably take a look at the harness and see if any connections are bad. So some of you other guys with pioneer decks have the same low reception too?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:39 PM
pulpz2

I just installed an Alpine 9833. I have the same problem. I have to pull the HU to install amps next week so I'll check the wiring then.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:23 PM
RedBird

Originally Posted by Art Vandaleigh
Hmm ill probably take a look at the harness and see if any connections are bad. So some of you other guys with pioneer decks have the same low reception too?
I had the same problem with my pioneer, but after they properly hooked up the wire to the head unit it was much better, but not as good as the original head unit, Im going to get an antenna booster installed to get an even better reception.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

For only like...$10 a month satellite radio rules. They don't have commercials...once you go satellite you never go back to FM. It's nice to have the same stations no matter where you go. The DJ's on Sirius are hilairous. They don't have to censor anything! No more empty spots in songs! LOL
Never use FM anymore...only go to my I-POD or CD if I want a specific song/album or if satellite isn't coming in where I am. Reception is excellent except on one road around here but that road is literally a tunnel through trees.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:18 AM
pulpz2

Originally Posted by Jackdaw
Did you connect the blue wire on the iso harness to the antenna amp wire?
The Nissan antenna is amplified and needs to have an amp trigger from a head unit to turn on.
The wire harness crutchfield provided (I'm assuming this ISO) has a Blue - Power Antenna wire which I left unconnected. I did this becasue there is no power antenna. Is the wire you are refering to?

If so, my next problem is that the Apline 9833 does not have a Antennna Amplifier ON wire. However, it does have Blue/White - (Remote Turn ON) for Amplifier or Equilizer wire.

Should I connect these two wires?
Old 04-02-2005, 05:25 PM
dedmoonstears

Default my receptions bad too

have a pioneer indash dvd...models numbers not on the top o my head right now but yeah the signal/ radio reception is bad...

thinking its the car ant..i had it on my tiburon and it wasnt like that/not as weak.....

there is a noticeable diff with other hu with regards to sig reception too just to confirm what the other guys said..
Old 04-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Jackdaw

The wire harness crutchfield provided (I'm assuming this ISO) has a Blue - Power Antenna wire which I left unconnected. I did this becasue there is no power antenna. Is the wire you are refering to?

If so, my next problem is that the Apline 9833 does not have a Antennna Amplifier ON wire. However, it does have Blue/White - (Remote Turn ON) for Amplifier or Equilizer wire.
The blue/white wire on the ISO harness is the switch wire to turn on the antenna amplifier. I would be very surprised if the Alipe 9833 does not send a signal to this otherwise it could not be used on a car with a powered telescopic antenna. This blue wire must be connected to the wire on the Nissan harness - pin 5, G/W wire. It carries out the same function as sending a signal to a powered antenna to extend, except in this case it sends the signal to turn the Nissan antenna amp on. The amp on/off wire from the Alpine would also work but this would mean that the antenna amp is on even when the radio is not in use.
Your reception should be fine if you do this.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:41 AM
pulpz2

OK, according to the Crutchfield schematic, the Blue-White is Amplifier Turn-on and Blue is Power Antenna. So the blue wire accomodates the telescopic antenna and would connect the Blue wire on the Alpine. However, Alpine also says not to connect this to any Amp.

So what function does the Blue- Power Antenna wire on the ISO harness serve? To my knowledge no 350Z has a power telescopic antenna. So I would assume that it should be unused.

As you suggest, I will connect the Blue-White Remote Turn On from the Alpine to the Blue-White Amplifier Turn on the harness.

I've attached the Alpine and Crutchfield harness schematics.
Attached Thumbnails Bad radio reception after aftermarket HU install?-alpine_key_crop.jpg   Bad radio reception after aftermarket HU install?-alpine_schematic_crop.jpg   Bad radio reception after aftermarket HU install?-cruchfield_harness_crop.jpg  

Last edited by pulpz2; 04-04-2005 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:42 AM
axisd

I don't quite understand what ppl are saying about Pioneer having poor reception. I believe that out of all aftermarket head units Pioneer has the best fm reception. I'm not a huge Pioneer fan or anything but they've had the "Super Tuner" radios for years and they have always topped the competition. And it's true that no aftermarket radio is going to have better reception than a factory radio due to manufacturers putting most of there RnD into creating a better CD player or multi media source. FM is not as popular as it once was and manufaturers aren't going to spend lots of money improving on something that is dated.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:28 AM
Jackdaw

OK, according to the Crutchfield schematic, the Blue-White is Amplifier Turn-on and Blue is Power Antenna. So the blue wire accomodates the telescopic antenna and would connect the Blue wire on the Alpine. However, Alpine also says not to connect this to any Amp.

So what function does the Blue- Power Antenna wire on the ISO harness serve? To my knowledge no 350Z has a power telescopic antenna. So I would assume that it should be unused.

As you suggest, I will connect the Blue-White Remote Turn On from the Alpine to the Blue-White Amplifier Turn on the harness.
I think that my last post may have been confusing. Do not connect the Alpine amp turn on to the crutchfield harness - this will cause a short circuit.
Power antenna turn on means either telescopic antenna or turn on the amplifier for the antenna. The 350Z has an amplified fm antenna. The fm amplifier will only turn on when it receives a signal. If it's not turned on the reception will be poor. You do not connect the alpine amp lead to the iso harness - this will short.
You must make a connection with the G/W wire on the Nissan harness. This wire transmits the signal to turn on the FM amplifier. It is is best to do this with the power antenna wire from the ISO harness so that it is only turned on when the radio is on.
I hope this is clearer.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Art Vandaleigh

Ah i had the same question when i went over the crutchfield harness instructions. So you are saying do not connect the blue/white wire, but make sure the blue wire is connected to turn on the antenna amp? I havent had time to look at the harness, but ill get to it in the next day or so and report back.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Jackdaw

Yes, connect the blue wire on the ISO harness to the G/W wire on the Nissan harness.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Th3Cleaner

Remember::::::: The Z uses a 12v power to the anntena, it is a powered anntena.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:41 PM
pulpz2

Yes, connect the blue wire on the ISO harness to the G/W wire on the Nissan harness.
Are you sure about this? According to the Alpine instructions (first image of my previous post) the Blue wire should NOT be used to power on an amplifier or other signal processor. I would assume this includes an antenna amplifier, correct?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:16 PM
pulpz2

OK, I called Alpine. The tech support guy said it is OK to use the blue wire to turn on the antenna amplifier even though the directions say not to connect this lead to an amplifier or signal processor.

Quick Reply: Bad radio reception after aftermarket HU install?