Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Alpine PLT-5 Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:04 AM
cpanagio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine PLT-5 Subwoofer

Like many of you, I wanted to replace the stock Bose subwoofer with something a little better. My first thought was to just put a new sub in the stock housing. Although it could be done, it would end costing much much more than I wanted to spend. My goal is just a nice bass enhancement, nothing too obnoxious. I didnt want to throw in 2 10's/12's in a custom enclosure because for me that would be overkill. While I was at the shop, one of the owners suggested an Alpine PLT-5 unit he had on display. Its main purpose is for a pickup truck but he felt that it would be great in the Z. He quoted me a price I couldnt refuse so I said lets do it.

It was a great call. This thing sounds absolutely great. For those who want a nice thick sound, not too boomy, this unit is perfect. I couldnt believe the sound that came out of these 5" woofers. The best part about the unit is how well it fits in with the rest of the car (P.S. the stock sub is still connected). It almost looks like it's OEM. I have it positioned flat with the plexiglass facing up, so its nice to look through the hatch and see this thing in action.

Thanks to the guys at Factory Auto Sound. I will post pictures of it later today when I can go and snap some. If you can pick this unit up for around $400, I would definitely suggest going this route.

Here are the specs from Alpines site.

Amplifier
• RMS Continuous Power: 250W, 2Ohm load at 14.4V
Crossover
• Crossover: LPF variable (50Hz - 200 Hz) 24dB / oct
• Subsonic Filter: Fixed 15Hz, 24dB/ oct
• Bass EQ: 45Hz, variable 0 to + 12dB

Enclosure
• Design: Ultra-Reflex
• Construction: Dual chamber (sealed, vented)
• Materials: MDF, High-Temp ABS, Plexi-glass
Attached Thumbnails Alpine PLT-5 Subwoofer-x500plt5-f.jpg   Alpine PLT-5 Subwoofer-x500plt5-o.jpg  

Last edited by cpanagio; 08-18-2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Edit Title
Old 08-19-2007, 09:46 AM
flozada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks very nice and clean. Is it too big to fit in the stock sub compartment (removing the bracket)?? let us know any other installation detail, photos, etc...

thanks.