How to DIY: Switchblade Key aka Euro Style Flip Key

Old 11-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to DIY: Switchblade Key aka Euro Style Flip Key

-----------------------------
Original Thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-in...ey-keyfob.html
by kevincat and I used his pictures also to try to better explain the process.

Now before getting started my initial impressions on the key fob:
I got mine from RemoteHub on ebay: http://search.stores.ebay.com/Remote...549872QQsofpZ0
You'll want to buy the one that is the conversion case and transponder chip only (TRANSPONDER CHIP THAT CAME FROM EBAY WILL NOT BE USED!!!).
Initial impressions were that the case was relatively cheap, felt a little weaker than the OEM key fob that came with the car. Switchblade assembly was good and strong though. I was a little disappointed because I felt like I paid $40 bucks for a weak piece of plastic and a key. I would have been satisfied if this product had cost $20-$25, or at least come with the key fob components for $40. So for potential buyers I would recommend try to find a cheaper retailer, or wait it out for paypal/ebay coupons (10$ off shipping would be the best one to use!) But RemoteHub does offer 10% off around the end of the month even though that only saves you a buck or two :P

After everything has been said and done and the project was completed, I'm happy that I did it, its a simple and stupid mod but I always liked the Euro flip style on the VW's so I'm glad there was such a thing out there for Nissan's.

Well lets get started:

Estimated cost: $35-$50
Difficulty: 3/10

Tools/Stuff needed:
Your current key, & key fob
euro flip style conversion case with key
new key fob (optional)
small screwdriver
small flathead
small pliers
exacto blade or knife
some other cutting utensil (optional but would make getting the transponder chip out easier)
blow dryer (optional)
super glue
masking tape

----------------------------

There are a couple ways you can approach this. You can either use your key fob or buy a new one and reprogram it.
Either way you're gonna be destroying one. That said I used my OEM key fob because I didn't need an extra one.
(Your Key will not have a transponder chip in it at the end of this so there's no point in getting another key fob IMO)
The hardest part of this project is probably destroying your OEM key and trying to get the transponder chip out.
Second hardest was reassembling everything. (May have been easier if I secured the circuit board for the key fob, so that the components didn't fall out while trying to reassemble, but I didn't think about that while do it )

INSTUCTIONS:

1. Slice open your OEM key, along the side where you can see the seal. Use the blade to break the seal and just keep cutting along until the casing will open enough to wear you can pry it open with the small flathead.

2. Now you'll see how the transponder chip has been installed. You'll want to use the exacto blade or some other cutting tool (I'd think an air tools sander/saw would work well here) to cut up a few of the walls that the chip is placed in.

3. Now heat up casing with the blow drier to see if the chip will budge if it does slow pry it out, be careful not to damage it. If this doesn't work continue to work on other walls until you can pry the chip free. (try your best to keep the key casing in chunks rather than small small pieces so you can put it back together without the chip. You're done with the hardest part!

4. Put back together the OEM key with the transponder chip removed, I taped it up with masking tape so that its holdable, keep the chip in a safe spot for now and go get the key copied. If you do it like this no one gives you a hard time about it having a chip in it or not because well.. it doesn't! I was skeptical about doing it at a regular hardware store instead of the dealership because my local Sears Hardware employee didn't have a clue what "tape" to use for the copy. But I told them it was a Nissan and they got it done. When everything was said and done the imprints on the copied were a little different but the valleys were exact. It worked in the car for me and only cost me $1.60 so good deal!

5. Now with the switchblade key cut, you'll work on the key fob components

a) Open up your current key fob (stick in a flat head or key on the bottom end next to the panic button and turn)

b) Take a look a good look at how everything is placed. Open up the flip style case with the small screwdriver. The key and spring and button will come apart but just leave that to the side.

c) You'll need to slice the with the exacto blade panic button off and slice off the clear keypad panic button also. (This is right under the red panic button) - Why do this? because the switchblade key only has 3 button openings, the panic cannot be used because it is located at the bottom, the 4th button. It simply will not fit in the case even if you didn't want to cut it and tried to pack it in.

Name:  Photo0046.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  39.4 KB

d) Transfer the remaining buttons, keypad and board into the switchblade case.

e) Now on the other side of the OEM key fob there's the battery and battery holder/plate. Transfer this to the other side of the switchblade case.

Name:  Photo0045.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  44.6 KB

f) Super glue the transponder chip in the designated area of the switchblade case as seen above. Just add a drop or two, place it in and let it dry. Now I'm not sure if the direction the chip is important or not but I put it like it was on the OEM key, the smaller area towards the key insert. ex:

Name:  Photo0047.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  61.8 KB

6. Reassemble the switchblade case
This might be a little difficult if you don't know how the switchblade works.

a) Assemble the button, key, and spring. Assemble this to the side where the key fob buttons are and hold with your right hand with the buttons facing your palm so the key/spring/button don't fall out. (The actual key should be held by your fingers along side of the case, (Closed form) As seen in picture below:

Name:  Photo0045.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  44.6 KB

b) Grab the other board, now join the two the two boards together by placing the bottom of the spring on the base with the battery (There's an insert for the bottom of the spring leg, fits only one way)

c) The key flips out counter clockwise so you'll need to rotate counter clockwise just once after you've seated the spring. Attach both sides together hold it firmly together with one hand.

d) Start screwing the case back together with the other hand. Make sure the all buttons work and the key flips out.

7. *Optional step* The switchblade case should have come with the a Nissan sticker to go on the back. Peel the sticky and place it on the back to cover up the hole for screws.

You're done!!!

Name:  Photo0049.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  22.5 KB

I hope this clears up some things for people who were confused by the original thread. Sorry I didn't take pictures along the way! If you're still confused and really set on this project go buy it and once you have the key fob and switchblade case open you'll understand very quickly and see how simple this mod actually is. Learn from experience!

Have to give thanks to g35driver guys for originally bringing the switchblade topic up, but also to kevincat b/c he actually found a nice Nissan case and posted on here, and thanks for his pics again!

Best of luck to all!

If you're still confused let me know your questions and I'll try my best to edit this thread to answer them.

update: my jdm keychain

IMG_0081.jpg?t=1227504338
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Photo0045.jpg (44.6 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by Voboy; 09-16-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 PM
kevincat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha great write up. easier done than said.

edit: i dont think super glueing the chip is a smart idea. i think you should use double head tape or something something that will hold but not permanent just in case you decide to go with another case or something.

Last edited by kevincat; 11-12-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 PM
g26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job, Voboy. I'm sure it took a long time to write up. Any way you can post pics?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Voboy

Sorry! I did not take pictures along the way when I did mine but kevincats picture I think show you the gist of things.

update: "ipearlg" over on g35driver forums apparently can get the switchblade case are a cheaper price. search for his fs threads, he sells them for 25-32$ shipped!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 PM
g26

I meant closeups of your actual key.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Voboy

Oh sure I'll take pics of those this weekend.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:56 PM
g26

Since I'm sure a lot of people are curious about what the other side looks like, any chance you can take closeup pics of the back? Does it just look so cheesy that nobody wants to photograph it?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:18 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great write up! =) good thing that 370z comes with it. anyways i wanna get it done too
Old 11-30-2008, 05:33 PM
*ICE*

will perform this mod this week and will post pics of during and after.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:27 AM
Sixth_Vang

Link of where you got that domo cap or die! I found a few but can't find that exact one! Pm?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Voboy

Originally Posted by Sixth_Vang
Link of where you got that domo cap or die! I found a few but can't find that exact one! Pm?
I bought it from urban outfitters clothing store believe it or not. Try ebay or go to your local urban outfitters store.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:33 PM
whatwhy

Found this DIY on google and it is perfect! Very Helpful. Thanks for the help.

I got my flip key off ebay from flipkeysource, fast shipping and lowest price I could find
($20 SHIPPED) !!

Works great!!

here's the link if your interested http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZflipkeysource
Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 AM
bay350z

I have a question. On ebay I saw there is a 350z flip key that has the chip already. Can I buy that have it cut and program it? Some are for 2004+ does the 03 not have a chip or something? What is the diff on ebay of the ones that say 350z or another car?

Last edited by bay350z; 12-05-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 PM
*ICE*

Here is my DIY:

Note: I got the 4 buttons flip key from the guy on G35 forum. Please refer to the OP's first post for more info. Its feels great and A LOT EASIER to swap compare to the 3 buttons.

here is everything i have to get ready for the painless swap...

I took everything apart. There are 3 little screws behind the new key fob, 1 is behind the emblem.

Here is when i get ready to took the transponder chip out of my OEM key. Note: My key is similar to the G35's key, which you can see the hole for the transponder chip at the bottom and you can easily pick it out. Other has the key same as the OP, which mean you have to break the key apart to get the chip

I used the Exacto knife and carefully pick out the chip.

Use super glue on the chip. The chip has to be place at that exact spot or else your car will not turn on.

I transferred the battery holder from the OEM key to the new key, which has slot already make for the easy swap. After that, move the battery over. + sign face down.

I took out the rubber piece that hold the circuit board and transfer it over to the new key. If your rubber piece is dirty, make sure to give it a good rinse to wash out any dirt build up.

Put everything back together. When you have the spring seated correctly, turn it COUNTER CLOCKWISE direction 1 time. It will flip out in CLOCKWISE direction when button is pressed.

I put a few drop of WD-40 on the springs to make sure its can flip out smoothly with no bump. Your done!

Final step is bring your new key and old key to get it cut. Do not try to use the old OEM key with the transponder chip in the new key and start the car. It will not start the car because the transponder chip has to be less than 3 inches from the ignition. Use another key.

I'd RECOMMENDED to get it cut at ACE HARDWARE. Cost is $0 . I tried Home Depot and Lowes but both does not have the key plate for my key. Yours might be different.

Last edited by *ICE*; 12-05-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Is it just me or is it a PITA trying to pull the transponder out of the OEM key? I broke my blade on the damn thing.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Voboy

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
Is it just me or is it a PITA trying to pull the transponder out of the OEM key? I broke my blade on the damn thing.
Hardest part of the process
Old 12-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Voboy

Originally Posted by *ICE*
Here is my DIY:
Dang really nice ICE! Wish I had seen the 4 button one... man I'm so jealous for your OEM key!!! Thanks for posting your process pictures!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Voboy
Hardest part of the process
Figures
Old 12-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Voboy

Originally Posted by bay350z
I have a question. On ebay I saw there is a 350z flip key that has the chip already. Can I buy that have it cut and program it? Some are for 2004+ does the 03 not have a chip or something? What is the diff on ebay of the ones that say 350z or another car?
The 350z flip key does not have the chip in it already. It just comes with it on the side. The g35 guys have tried to cut it an reprogram it using the new transponder chip but I believe that it did work at first but then they stopped working shortly after. No difference between other labeled car kits from that particular ebay member.

Originally Posted by whatwhy
Found this DIY on google and it is perfect! Very Helpful. Thanks for the help.

I got my flip key off ebay from flipkeysource, fast shipping and lowest price I could find
($20 SHIPPED) !!

Works great!!

here's the link if your interested http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZflipkeysource
Thanks for sharing!!! That's the cheapest I've seen! Gonna update my OP.
edit: Can't update :/
Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Kwame

That guy over on G35driver is also selling the 3 button ones (the same ones on ebay) for $20 shipped

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to DIY: Switchblade Key aka Euro Style Flip Key